classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hickory 2/8/14

scottski63
This post was updated on .

My first trip to Hickory. Lots of fun, nice pitch. Could use another foot of snow to really open things up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory

GetAmped
Since that's me in that photo, this seems like the appropriate place to put a little TR.

Hickory did not disappoint. Plenty of fresh on top of...well, almost nothing, unless you count gnarly rock outcroppings. Didn't matter. Showed up well before opening bell and met up with scottski63.

First runs were on poma 1. Topnotch was as good as its name. Floaty pow with the occasional scritch as we planed out on the enormous chunks of granite hidden under the snowy goodness. Jackrabbit was less treacherous and we lapped it several times until we got the word from patrol that poma 2 was open.

The Hare was fantastic. Untouched lines all the way down on the first couple of runs and I didn't hit anything bony (plenty of that later). We took a breather run out on the Ridge but it wasn't interesting enough to go back. At some point I saw a familiar Magic face in the line behind us as we were headed up again. Shouted some instructions on how to get to The Hare and met up with him after another run.

Managed to take a few crappy cell phone pix on Jackrabbit:

scottski63

Magic guy

The Hare and Jackrabbit really were the money runs of the day. Felt so good to get back to my roots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jack Rabbit mmmm....

Kirby on Jack Rabbit

I will add my TR here, when I can.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Nice!  Saturday was awesome for sure.  Here are some pictures my buddy took on Saturday morning (I think on Winfall).

Kirby - it was great getting to meet on Saturday and skiing at Gore on Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Great to meet you too Don, Hickory Rocks.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Hickory Ski Center, NY: 2/8/14

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by scottski63
Ski Day 15: Set the alarm for 3:45 and hit the road by 4am.  Arrived at Hickory to find these bros clearing the deck....

There was a good "crowd" in the lodge already. Maybe 25 people which is more than I've seen at Hickory at 8am in the past.  Kirby and I headed out to Poma 1 and the gang was waiting...

Patrol went up and then we followed.  Confession time, I'd rather ride a Poma uphill in deep pow, then bang my way down an icy groomer.

We hit Jack Rabbit first as it is the best trail when cover is thin, which is almost always it seems.

Kirby on Jack Rabbit

Eric of Gore Patrol on Jack Rabbit

Top Notch also had relatively good cover

After a few runs a... gasp... line developed at Poma 1. Kirby got a wink from one to the patrollers on duty, and tugged on my coat, directing me to the Tbar.  Down we went, up the T and over to Poma 2.  Up we went...

Top of Poma 2

Some other ski area in the distance (not Bearpen)

I try to maintain a friendly relationship with all winter sportsmen, especially snowmobilers.  But I admit I cursed them when we found all the pow on Ridge Run completely trashed. Somethin about that just ain't right.

When the sun came over the yardarm, people started hangin out on the deck.  I connected with Scottski and had a chance to meet GetAmped and learn about the magic triangle.

I had a date with a ski tech and a pair of Voile Switchbacks, so I bid the mountain fairwell around 1:30.  I got back to the cabin in North River to find her deckout in snow...

Stoked the fire, and then headed out the back door for a tour...

...off to the complacent spot...

A fine day...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center, NY: 2/8/14

64ER
Pulitzer Prize Trip Report.

Oh wait; it's Olympic Season, nobody pays attention.

Maybe they'll read this in another week or two (after we get a couple of dumpers) and venture forth to ski/ride what the fuss is all about.

As a ner'-do-well Sage once said and continues to say "Think you're an expert?  Ski Hickory, find out".

Just sayin'.

Ski you on the Hill.