This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hickory Closing Day, March 29, 2015

Jamesdeluxe
Great pix and another example of how below-average snowfall + no thaws works out better for the northeast -- not that we have any choice in the matter.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I see you kids in just a light jacket/sweatshirt..It looks like it warmed up nicely.  Down state in the Cat's it never really warmed up..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff

I saw the forecast for Hickory and almost audibled.  It's "only" an hour farther than Plattekill for me.

Clarence is also an early riser on ski days and texted me that this was day 21 for Hickory, last year they did 17 days.

Looks awesome. Daniel on teles, launching that jump and hitting the trees in 38 degrees... oh yea.

One thing about little kids on the TBar getting launched... if you can put like 4 people on each disc ahead of a kid it cuts the launch down.  Also I saw one mom with a boy littler than Sylvia have her disc launch just a few feet ahead of the boy and that cuts down the launch.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
This post was updated on .
jeff it was good to meet you and your family . the lower woods were surprisingly good. wound up lapping them for the final six runs of the day. that little dude can ski, he rocked that  chute at the bottom of the glades. you can ski hickory most days in a light jacket. blood really gets pumping. 5 more degrees would have really helped. fun day
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by Harvey
Nice report and pix.

Great to see you and the fam at Gore on Saturday. I would have gone to Hickory but I had a 2 day pass I had to use this weekend at Gore. It didn't soften up at Gore until the afternoon, but the bluebird skies and sunshine made it feel much warmer than it was on Saturday.

Looks like another week of winter ahead.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Wish we could have made a visit there this year but, we were concerned about the Poma and our 6 year old. She has trouble on the tow ropes too from time to time. Hickory looks special.. I know we told a few of our friends to try it out this year and all were impressed. One day we will make it.  Thanks.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Great pix and another example of how below-average snowfall + no thaws works out better for the northeast -- not that we have any choice in the matter.
So true.  If I had to choose between cold temps and snow, I’d take the cold every time.  Snow does you no good if it’s followed by a thaw.

JasonWx wrote
I see you kids in just a light jacket/sweatshirt..It looks like it warmed up nicely.  Down state in the Cat's it never really warmed up..
I assume the difference is the elevation.  Hickory’s base is well below 1000’.

Harvey wrote
One thing about little kids on the TBar getting launched... if you can put like 4 people on each disc ahead of a kid it cuts the launch down.  
Also, the lift operator slowed the speed down a notch the first couple times Sylvie rode up, which definitely helped.  Poma 2 can be a little trickier, but I’m sure Sylvie could handle it fine.

sig wrote
jeff it was good to meet you and your family . the lower woods were surprisingly good. wound up lapping them for the final six runs of the day. the little dude can ski, he rocked that  chute at the bottom of the glades.
6 runs in the trees… awesome!

Powderqueen wrote
Great to see you and the fam at Gore on Saturday.
Always fun to see you PDQ and ski a run or two together!

Skiray wrote
Wish we could have made a visit there this year but, we were concerned about the Poma and our 6 year old.
Sylvie is 7 and in first grade.  This is the first winter that I felt she was ready to do the Poma by herself.  It looks like you get your kids out as often as mine, so I bet your 6-yr-old would be ready next winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Those are excellent shots that truly capture Hickory. The shot of your boy in the air was well timed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks X! Just luck with the pic.  Some days I'll shoot a hundred photos to get a half dozen keepers.