Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hickory Ski Center Work Days: Oct 2014

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hello Hickory Faithful!

It's cutting season! We're getting ready for the ski season, and this coming weekend has two opportunities to help with preparations by cutting trails. For each day of volunteer work, you will receive a voucher for a day of skiing valid for two years. Please bring sturdy boots, work gloves, water, lunch, and appropriate tools. Brush cutters (weed wackers with a brush cutting blade) are supplied on a first-come, first-served basis.

Saturday, Oct. 4, 8 AM - 2 PM
- Coordinator: Clarence, operations@hickoryskicenter.com

Sunday, Oct. 5, 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
- Coordinator: Tom Short, t.short@ieee.org

Meet at the lodge. If you plan to come, please RSVP to one of the leads above. Volunteers will need to sign a release form. This is available by clicking the link at the bottom of this post. Forms should be available on the hill too.

LIABILITY WAIVER:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B12oLp_jj5UQelRlbnY5S1BTNU0/edit?usp=sharing
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hickory Ski Center Work Days: Oct 4-5 2014

where's the snow
Going up with glade runner sunday :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Be advised the Warrensburgh garage sale starts Fri 3rd thru Sunday could be busy trying to get thru town.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hudsonhiker wrote
Be advised the Warrensburgh garage sale starts Fri 3rd thru Sunday could be busy trying to get thru town.
GOOD CALL HH. I think remember there is a way from the North (ala North Creek) to go a back way?

Any advice from the south?

Actually the sale kinda jams things up but you can still get through town pretty fast. It's just much slower than usual.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Hickory Rules...... POW POW POW

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Any advice from the south?
I used to take S Johnsburg rd to High St. Then Athol rd and your right there

Sorry not really from the south. I thought you were looking for an alt route from camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User

I went to Hickory with where's the snow and a few others.  Took a lot to make a 3 hour drive each way but, was glad we did.  The pass was good for the next 3 years not 2, so it will be well worth it since we intend to go on an epic powder day.  

We showed up about 20 minutes late with our hand tools.  Fully expected the power tools to be already in use but, they sent us up with a trimmer and pole chainsaw.  We hiked up carrying all our gear and cleaned out the t bar line from the mid station to where it lets off.

The trails needed a lot of work so it was unfortunate that there were only 5 others here helping besides the 4 of us.  Once we finished the t bar line we worked our way to the top to get a look at the view.

After the nice views we headed back down through one of the glades that was already in nicer shape than most of the trails.  With a nice rock cliff drop inside.

Below the glade we cleared out a nice area on the side of the main trail above and to the left of the t bar we cleared earlier.

So after one more look at the view we headed down a winding, less steeper trail to the base to claim our free lift ticket.

Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Great place , tried it this past season for the first time. Sorta reminds me of a smaller platty from years back. Make sure you tell your PA friend about the crazy 1/2 day morning lift tickets.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I had the opportunity to ride it after that big storm we got that dropped 25 inches in Vermont.  But with that sandwiched between 2 powder days on thurs and fri, sat was my rest day before we headed back up far north to Cannon and Burke for Sun and Mon.  By then the snow was probably heavy but I don't think anyone could have rode it up before then.  But, my legs needed the rest by that point and I wasn't ready for another 6 hrs in the car up and back sat after travelling to Vermont before and again after sat.  It's going to be great riding that place on a powder day on a weekend when Gore is packed.

Reply | Threaded
|

More Trail Cutting at Hickory

CUontheslopes131
Looks like there will be more trail cutting at Hickory this weekend for those who might be interested. From Hickory's Facebook Page:

10/11 - 10/12 Trail Cutting Update

Hickory trail cutters, we will be meeting at 830 am on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend (Oct. 11th and 12th) at the base of the ski area. Please send an e-mail to Clarence (operations@hickoryskicenter.com) to let us know that you're planning to be there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: More Trail Cutting at Hickory

evergreen
The Ski Hickory website has been down for days, if not longer......
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
evergreen wrote
The Ski Hickory website has been down for days, if not longer......
I got it to come up once, but then tried again and nada. I'll see what I can learn.
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
It must be some sort of technical glitch - being on the board I can tell you there's no plan to take it down. It must just be some hosting issue.