High Mountain Park Preserve in Wayne, NJ

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

High Mountain Park Preserve in Wayne, NJ

x10003q
Today we decided to hike the highest mountain in view of the ocean on the east coast (south of Maine). We were just 18 miles from New York City but we only saw about 10 other people the entire hike.

The trail is a loop that starts out at about 500 feet above sea level and tops out at 900 feet above sea level.

Glacial erratic on the trail
There are about 1100 acres of woodlands and wetlands. Many of the trails are rocky and follow dry and wet stream beds.

The yellow trail heads up the mountain

We passed some cairns

The final push for the top

New York City

One World Trade Center - The Freedom Tower- happy to see the progress

The top is a big open meadow

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and a little view of the Atlantic Ocean under the span

It was hard to believe that we were surrounded by millions of people as we hiked on the trail.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: High Mountain Park Preserve in Wayne, NJ

ml242
nice man, haven't done that one yet but I'm a big fan of ringwood/ramapo. except the cops. Don't get me started. Awesome pics though, looks like a great day with the family!
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by x10003q
When I worked in Franklin Lakes last fall, at the end of each day, I'd hike High Mountain with my dog from the Reservoir Drive trail-head. Lots of wildlife, especially deer. Great off-leash walk for your dog because there's usually few people around. Watch out for ticks! If you're lucky you'll see a red fox.

Reply | Threaded
|

NJUrbanForest
Great Post! Check out NJUrbanForest.com for a virtual hike of High Mountain Park!!!!

http://njurbanforest.com/2012/07/01/waynes-high-mountain-park-preserve/

Plenty of Pictures!!!!