High Peaks lift at Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

High Peaks lift at Gore

Brian
Does anyone know what's going on with the High Peaks lift at Gore?  It was closed all weekend, and I was told it wouldn't be reopening next weekend.  And that was from the one lift attendant that actually knew it was closed...

Is it broken down, or did Gore just decide it's better to send the traffic to the North Quad?

I for one would MUCH RATHER have the High Peaks double open...  for one, the North Quad was horrendous this weekend - constantly stopping during its already slow and tenuous journey.  I also really enjoy avoiding the Gondi by taking ADK Express up, cutting over on Wood In and heading up High Peaks to drop right off onto Lies or a quick U-turn to Open Pit.  Not to mention the considerably more interesting (albeit shorter) terrain on the Dark Side.  I guess I'm a bit alone on this one, though, as the traffic on the North Quad was pretty heavy and most seemed content...

Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: High Peaks lift at Gore

Denis.N
Darkside double was open on Saturday and closed on Sunday. Provided lean season so far, moving employees to North Quad was a smart move. I agree with terrain comment but as of Saturday only Wood Lots were open anyway, so Pete Gay / Sleeping Bear were a better alternative, given the choice.

Above was just my speculation, I hope double will reopen next weekend.

Brian wrote
I also really enjoy avoiding the Gondi by taking ADK Express up, cutting over on Wood In and heading up High Peaks ...
^ 100% with you on this one
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Totally agree on the High Peaks access to the top from Wood In.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Brian
Brian wrote
I also really enjoy avoiding the Gondi by taking ADK Express up, cutting over on Wood In and heading up High Peaks to drop right off onto Lies or a quick U-turn to Open Pit.  
+1 on that. It's my favorite way to avoid the Gondola on weekends.

I would venture a guess that the reason they closed it on Sunday had to do with the fact that most Darkside Trails are ROCK solid underneath right now and basically un-skiable for the masses. Why run the lift so people can ski Santanoni?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brian
Okay, glad to know the lift's not down and that it was a crowd pleasing decision.  Now if I could just get into those trees over on the Dark Side (or I guess anywhere for that matter)...  It's looking pretty unlikely for a while with this weather pattern.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
I saw the double running and went down Cloud to get to lower Darby. The little chute off cloud had a rope but looked inviting. I did not go under the rope and went around to the main entrance to Lower Darby. It was roped also. As I was standing there a group of guys came thru the chute and had trouble staying upright. One commented that "now they know why it was closed". I went down  Santonini to the double. There was not enough terrain for that chair to operate. Maybe they thought Lower Darby would be skiable.

Empty High Peaks Chair with Rocky Darkside
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Last weekend it seemed that lower darby needed a good grooming and it doesn't sound like it has been done. This is odd as I think Gore has generally done a nice job grooming things when needed. Maybe they need more snow there and they were focused on Burnt ridge last week.

Anyone know why straightbrook is not running for two days in a row now?

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brian
you are not alone in wanting the darkside open.my guess is opening over to the skibowl is the biggest priority at this point, even at the cost of the darkside
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Keep guessin'...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Why not fill us in rather than lord it over us, cool guy?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Sorry gang, I have no crystal ball, but the ski bowl is not high on the priority list, especially after the rain yesterday. Snowmaking will be on Chatiemac, and then the darkside. There were electrical issues with lift 7 the last few days, so that is the deal with that. Lift 6 did not run this past weekend because of Burnt Ridge.
My guess is that mgmt is trying to save $$$ with the lower than average skier visits that everyone is experiencing this year.

That is the word of the shaman, praise be to ULLR!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Darkside Shaman wrote
Snowmaking will be on Chatiemac, and then the darkside. 
NICE!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brian
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
There were electrical issues with lift 7 the last few days, so that is the deal with that.
AHHH!!  Thanks for the clarification on that.  I wasn't sure if every little kid that got on was falling or if there was a new lift attendant way too happy on the shut down button.  I can only ever do a couple runs over on the North Side before getting impatient with the ride up, so 6-10 stops peppered in made it painful.  I enjoyed reading on here about people trying to use a GPS to prove that it runs slower than Topridge or Straight Brook despite what management claims...

Can't wait for the day the old double opens back up with all terrain up and running on the Dark Side!
Reply | Threaded
|

bait57man
Checked out your post and decided to register -looked at my gps for lift speeds - was stunned to find the following
Adk exp/BRQ. 12 mph
Gondi. 10mph
Straight brook. 7 mph
Dark side/north/top ridge 6mph
Sun way 4mph

Glad to be signed up here, lots of good value, hope to add some as well
Reply | Threaded
|

Brian
bait57man wrote
Checked out your post and decided to register -looked at my gps for lift speeds - was stunned to find the following
Adk exp/BRQ. 12 mph
Gondi. 10mph
Straight brook. 7 mph
Sun way 4mph
Thanks for those stats.  That's actually really interesting that ADK exp is faster than the Gondi.  I always felt like it was, but I figured it was just a perception thing.  It just adds another reason for me to avoid the Gondi as I travel around the mountain!

How's the GPS do with elevation change?  Does the incline not make a difference?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Also need to consider which day the measurement is taken.  I measured the gondi at 12.9mph today, consistently, and could really tell the difference today over past, it was moving!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by bait57man
bait57man wrote
Adk exp/BRQ. 12 mphe
Gondi. 10mph
Straight brook. 7 mph
Sun way 4mph

Glad to be signed up here, lots of good value, hope to add some as well
No doubt the lifts can be run at different speeds.  I'd always assumed that Topridge was just slow, but a few weekends ago the Straightbrook went down and everyone ended up at Topridge. That thing was flying and whacking you in the butt.

I often look over at the Gondi from the triple and I can't remember it NOT passing me. (ie Gondi just a bit faster).

Also just SEEMS like BRQ is fastest of all. Maybe it's the comfy seats.

Xman knows a ton about this stuff, maybe he will chime in.

Welcome bait57man - already adding value.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp