49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hiking fee?

x10003q
MC2 5678F589 wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
Maybe the flip side would work better....person rescued pays the first $500??  Something enough to be annoying but not enough to discourage legit rescues from being called.
If I broke my ankle and wrist in a fall, I'd splint them up and limp out in the dark before I paid $500 to have a Forest Ranger come in with a pair of crutches.

I don't think we should encourage that kind of thing. It creates more hazards than a simple 2 hour "rescue" that would be a lot easier for everyone involved.
This is exactly why you should not charge for search and rescue in most cases. During your fall you might have sustained a concussion and not known it and head the wrong way. The money factor will make people delay calling SAR and put themselves and the SAR people in a worse situation.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Could you tell me the last population that was decimated due to over hunting?
Exactly. Given the current system of managing hunting, populations are not being over hunted. In some cases, officials are actually increasing the number of kills allowed for some of populations whose growth needs to be controlled. I'm saying that the licensing system and lotteries for certain animals helps control over hunting so it is not an issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Exactly. exactly. It seems now the population that needs to be controlled is humans. Maybe licensing and regulations will help fund the millions of dollars needed to fix the erosion problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Already happening:
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Those damn boomers.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
Harvey wrote
Hey Johnny TLDR, what does all that tell me?
you beat me to it!

I don't mind paying trail fees or donations for mtb, xc skiing or hiking. white clay in Delaware comes to mind, there are envelopes and drop boxes with set fees and receipt tags that you display in your car.
My preference would be a donation basis - i think most people feel good about contributing a few $ to something they enjoy, think AMC and other club sponsorships. Whenever I ride a new network i try to make a donation to the trail tenders organization, the easier the better, drop boxes volunteers, etc. We have a trail network close by that gets a lot of Philly destination riders and part of their volunteer effort is posting up a guy or girl in the parking lot on busy summer weekends hawking RideNox (Nockamixon) T's and pint glasses. Also a great way to educate and solicit volunteers for building, maintenance, rescue etc.
When I rode Wilmington a few years ago I told the guys at the shop that BETA should put some fundraising T's in there!
We've lost a lot of local riding and just recently some premier hiking (Glen Onoko) on PA State Gamelands that I would gladly buy a hunting or other rec license to get access back...
That's how much money NY sportsmen/sportswomen are generating by year. Hikers need to step their game up!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Those damn boomers.
Are we playing the zoom out game?

It's also possible that the post New Deal/post WW2 period was the only period in which the workers of this country were treated fairly well (with strong unions, high salaries, & good benefits) and the people of that era responded to the increased wealth by having more kids. The wealth was even high enough for some to afford vacation homes.

Now, because of a variety of factors (globalization, decreased tax rates on the rich, declining Union influence, etc.) Inequality is rising again and people are deciding not to have as many kids.

So much of our country's recent history was shaped by us being the only advanced economy that wasn't destroyed in World War 2, allowing us to become an economic powerhouse. Now, other countries are catching up (or already have caught up) and the people who benefitted the most from the older era are mighty pissed off about that.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I hope the rate keeps going down.  Too many a-holes on the planet as it is.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
More political bull shit. It’s like drawing a correlation between eating ice cream at the beach as causing shark attacks.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.