classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hinterlandian Freeheel Ski Quiver....

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Well, I was sorting through my families somewhat extensive collection of skis/boots/snowboards etc, as last weekend was the local ski area's (Hidden Bump) gear swap.....and this weekend is the local Nordic Ski Club's gear swap.....when I thought I should take stock of my collection of freeheel skis.  

These skis are all currently utilized at various times throughout our long Hinterlandian winters. I didn't include any "freeheel" "trackset" skis (like skate/classic). Only skis worthy of true skiing off of the groomed.  They range from not-quite-XC, to more lift-served types.

Here they are.

Sorry for the fuzzy pic.  I blame my i-phone.

So let's see your quivers....even if your significant other isn't aware of some of the collection.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hinterlandian Freeheel Ski Quiver....

Sick Bird Rider
We don't call him Telemark Dave for nuthin'.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I dig the Karhu EXTREMES. Dimensions? What bindings are on them?  Patterned base?

Just trying to get a clearer fantasy going.  

A closeup would do.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Ahhh, the "Red Sleds" were the original "fat" DH tele ski. Dimensions? Hmmmm. Base pattern = fast. One friend commented that those skis would " take you places you shouldn't be going." It would be fun to ski them with plastic boots. Those were the days when the skis were way ahead of the boots. TD and SBR did drag out the old boards for a test run last winter:

I sold mine (regrettably) then replaced them with the last incarnation, same ski, new topsheet, which I still have:

This was back when real men had pink graphics on their skis.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Rossi S6, Rossi Scratch Sprayer BC, Line Anthem Octoland, Rossi Slalom skis, K2 Fujatives (169), Rossi GS ski, and 3 pairs of straight skis I found with "free" signs on them on the side of the road.

Line Ghettoblaser, K2 Fujative (159), Dynastar Candides, More Rossi Slalom skis, More K2 straight skis (Soon to be a shot ski!)

Bonfire, Marmot, Solstice, Bonfire, Grenade, EMS, Spyder, Cabella's coats and some Special Blend pants

Summer mode! Rafting, Backpacking, Caving, Climbing gear.

And to deliver the stoke:
Canon T50 SLR, Pentax K1000 SLR, Canon HV30, Contour HD, Canon 20D w/ sigma 17-35 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Battery grip, batteries, SB-28 flash, some filters, a couple Lowepro bags, a crappy tripod,  and lots of film (for my photog class) and tapes.

And before you get all bent out of shape thinking I'm a spoiled kid, I paid for all of this myself, excluding the 20D and the S6 skis.

To be added to the quiver next year:
XC/FR bike
Play boat and/or Creeker.

Work hard, play harder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Fujative:  Good work on the quiver acquisition, one can never start too young.

Harv: The Karhu Extremes are 207cm, currently mounted with a pair of Rottefella Riva 2 cables. They originally had Rottefella Super Telemark pins on them.  Dimensions? Fricken' toothpicks, as S.B.R. would say. I measured them for you ....73-60-65....about 1/2 what my newest quiver acquisition is....Elan Boomerangs are 140-120-130. (I'm picking them up tomorrow....)

I bought them in 1985, with some of my College student loan $....At the time it was called the Ontario Student Assistance Plan...OSAP, which we all knew stood for Ontario Ski Assistance Plan!
They were used for Tele Racing, back in the formative Provincial race series....one of the race starters was none other than S.B.R.!  I used to bum rides back downtown into the city from him. I was a car-less student, he was a gainfully employed older dude.

David
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
While I'm at it, and seeing as how Harvey seems to like old tele skis....

1991 210 cm Asnes Telelmark Comps....Scored two pair of them from the Asnes ski company owner when I was racing
at the World Championships in Vemdalen, Sweden. They only turn at Warp Factor megazillion. Or if you're Norwegian.
I most recently used them as a lever to lift up the washing machine in our basement to retrieve a lost kids toy. They're sorta' stiff.

The other pair are 1992 Evolution SuperFlex...factory race stock skis. "Handcrafted in S.L.C., Utah."  They are even stiffer than the Asnes. But only 200cm, so they can be turned.

Both the Asnes and the Evo's were mounted with Voile realease plates, with Voile Heavy Duty Pins on them.
They were driven by Asolo Extreme Comp leather, 4 buckle boots. Last of their kind.  The boots had internal plastic
stiffeners inside the leather, I broke 2 pair in a season.. Thankfully, I was sponsered by Asolo, and got replacement pairs.
1n 1993, I gave up Tele racing, headed out into the backcountry, and never looked back.  Also got the first iteration of
Scarpa Terminator plastic boots.  Still got 'em.  They're worthy of their own thread....

T.D.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Ok.

'nuff messin' around.

Here's the 2nd oldest skis in the T.D. household.

These were my dad's late 50's/early 60's vintage (guessing) Fischer "Comets', 190cm.
The bindings are Attenhofer "Flex".

If any Harvey Roaders can offer anymore insight into these, I'd appreciate it.

T.D.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
...Continuing on....

The boots that went with the above skis.

Similar vintage, I'm guessing, double leather boots made by Munari in Italy.
Size 9.

Too small for me, but maybe S.B.R. could squeeze into them for a test drive...??
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This just keeps going and going and.....

Here is the oldest pair of skis in our house. They were made for my mother when she was a child.
That would date them from the mid 30's.

She learned to ski on them, at a place called "Forbes Woods" in downtown Huntsville, Hinterland.
It (Forbes Woods)included the "Lookout" hill that overlooks Huntsville.  Interestingly, my avatar is
a pic of me skiing the West ridge of the Lookout.  I should note that I was not skiing on these skis.
They're only 3' long.

T.D.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
To conclude the current run of ski quiver memorabilia....

A pair of ski poles.

They came from Norway, along with their owner, Johann Strand, during
WW2.  Many Norwegians escaped the Nazi invasion, and came to Hinterland.
So many, in fact, that there not only was a Norwegian training base set up at
the local airport, but also a camp just north of here for R&R.

R&R in Norwegian means skiing.  They also built a "yump" in the above mentioned
Forbes Woods. The outrun was a frozen lake.

My mother's mother (that would be my grandmother, works the same way here in Hinterland )
ran a boarding house, where many Norwegian airmen stayed. Strand was one of them.  He left his poles for my mother
when he returned home to Norway after the war.

Well that's all the quiver posting for today.  Enjoy

T.D.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man

Hickory Martha and my quiver, without the XC stuff.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
K man wrote
Hickory Martha and my quiver, without the XC stuff.
Along with the most important tool of all on the workbench:  a six-pack.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Also not a partially empty pint glass and the bottle opener just above the orange sticker on the end of the bench.  All required tools for ski tuning.  I have a couple pairs to mount, but it's too early.  There are still bike parts on the bench.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User

Old pair of kid's skis. Sorry the label shot is out of focus but they were manufactured by Adirondack Peters of Gloversville-Dolgeville NY. Gloversville is on the Sacandaga Lake.

I bought them off Ebay a while back. Back then, I used to make a HUGE pile of snow in the backyard with the snowblower for the kids to play on. My gal's young niece was over one day, saw these skis and kept begging me to let her rip on them on the backyard mountain of snow.

" No, honey, these won't work for you."

" Uh huh, I could take them out back and ski right now! ".
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
I got rid of most of my old tele skis except the first pair, 1979 Kazama, Mountain Highs and a early 1990's pair of Kazama Telemark Comps that went to the national champoinships.  I went shorter than my buddies with the Mountain Highs and only got 210's.  I'll have to dust them off for a photo op.  We also have multiple pairs of old skis, poles and memoribilia mounted on the walls throughout our house.  I'll have to wander through with the camera one of these days.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wow K man, I didn't realize there was a ski museum in the hood.
Reply | Threaded
|

rpk4
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
Ok.

'nuff messin' around.

Here's the 2nd oldest skis in the T.D. household.

These were my dad's late 50's/early 60's vintage (guessing) Fischer "Comets', 190cm.
The bindings are Attenhofer "Flex".

If any Harvey Roaders can offer anymore insight into these, I'd appreciate it.

T.D.

Your Komets are circa 1954-1956. Might be able to pinpoint with a better image of the Comet ring logo and the Endenschoner (tail protector). Wondering what color the bases are as well as the serial number?

JB