Hinterlands Backcountry scene getting some press..

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hinterlands Backcountry scene getting some press..

Telemark Dave
It’s nano-vert, but we do get a friggen ton-o-snow.  Gotta love when you can ski out your back door... and then some.  

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hinterlands Backcountry scene getting some press..

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Linky to Magazine.  Page 73

https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/flipmag/gb/2019-fall/pages/index.html
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
About damn time!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That’s awesome. Beautiful pics too. Makes me want to visit.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
Come on up, Brownski. Bring Harv and Shaman and whoever else wants to tag along. We'll show you how to rule the deep, steep and short.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s freaking sweet Dave!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Thanks for the offer. Hard to imagine how I could get away this year but some day maybe.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Can't get it to work!

I see the cover and then it disappears.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Thanks for the offer. Hard to imagine how I could get away this year but some day maybe.
Me too. Retirement is closer for me, realistically that is when I'll be able to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Very nice. It’s nice to see that area getting recognized but it’s a double edged sword. Hope your lines stay your lines - I’m sure they will
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Brownski wrote
Come on up, Brownski. Bring Harv and Shaman and whoever else wants to tag along. We'll show you how to rule the deep, steep and short.
I'm in!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Congrats Hinterlandians !  Nice article and pics reminds me "a bit " of some of The Lesser Wilderness "slack country and off piste Snow Ridge here in NNY .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Brownski wrote
I'm in!!
The absolutely crazy $ exchange rate makes Canuckistan a U.S. dirtbag skiers dream..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Not to mention our relaxed laws on combustible herbs..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Very nice. It’s nice to see that area getting recognized but it’s a double edged sword. Hope your lines stay your lines - I’m sure they will
Lots of lines there,  and I’m pretty sure there always will be, as just like everywhere else on the planet people are just too plain and simply lazy ass to earn their turns.  It’s also the tip of the iceberg around these parts, if nothing else, it will act as a decoy to attract those who do enjoy the b.c. experience..  leaving the rest of the goods to us local old timers.

Some Limberlost pics from last February, mid week and my buddy and I had it ALL to ourselves.   Mined it like it was white gold, then returned the next day and still found some virgin nuggets ..  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
It’s nano-vert, but we do get a friggen ton-o-snow.  
Our crew has been talking about heading way up north for a sled trip. From what I've read it's spot on riding up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
campgottagopee wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
It’s nano-vert, but we do get a friggen ton-o-snow.  
Our crew has been talking about heading way up north for a sled trip. From what I've read it's spot on riding up there.
You’d be lovin’ it Camp! Sled heaven, at least once there’s enough snow.  It would be dirt baggy cheap, too, except for the gas.  Though your U.S. Yankee $ will go a long way offsetting that. 😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeff LeChef
I'm one of the ringleaders of this project. We don't generally look for publicity, but the writer contacted me last winter and we agreed on a Limberlost focused piece, to show the area some love and also as ammunition we can use when working on getting more permits. Buried on pg 73 it's not a big deal. We easily doubled the gladed terrain this year and....fun fact: Both those pics were taken in an area that has yet to be pruned. This project is making a lot of people happy, including the old timers who used to ski here before it closed it the 1970's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jeff LeChef wrote
I'm one of the ringleaders of this project. We don't generally look for publicity, but the writer contacted me last winter and we agreed on a Limberlost focused piece, to show the area some love and also as ammunition we can use when working on getting more permits. Buried on pg 73 it's not a big deal. We easily doubled the gladed terrain this year and....fun fact: Both those pics were taken in an area that has yet to be pruned. This project is making a lot of people happy, including the old timers who used to ski here before it closed it the 1970's.
This is very cool Jeff!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
YES!

I know I promised an article and I will deliver at some point. Right now I'm getting my arse kicked real hard with the current section of the Heart Trail project but it WILL happen. So I guess I feel bad asking this but......has there been an NYSB article on the Hinterlands and if no, then when?

I know I'd love to see that. The Hinterlands is the kind of soul skiing that makes the ski world a better place imho. It reminds me of that place in West Virginia between Canaan Ski area and the now closed Timberline area. I imagine a lot yous have seen the posts on TGR a few years back. That was some of my favorite stuff I'd ever seen on the TGR forums.