Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Holiday crowds

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
snoloco wrote
No ski area in the east should need anything from nature to open an entire section of a mountain.  To me, sufficient snowmaking capacity means having the ability to open every section of the mountain by 12/26
To be fair you ended that quote with "except in the worst of Decembers." IMO this is not the worst of Decembers. It's probably average.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Maybe using standards from those who only ski further north it has been average, but when it has hit like 40 up there, it has been warm as heck down here.  When you guys got snow, we got r*in.  When you guys got perfect snowmaking weather, we got just barely borderline conditions, when you guys got marginal snowmaking weather, we got no snowmaking weather.  We have had a pretty bad December if you ask me.  I normally expect a full opening on the 2nd Saturday of December at the local mountains, but that did not happen this year.  Up there, most places except Whiteface and Gore are almost fully open, but down here, we are barely open.  For us, it has been a very bad December.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Dude you said "no ski area in the east should need any help from mother nature."

If you'll grant that the Adks and Vt and the Cats have had an average year it makes no sense that NJ has had a below average year.  Face the facts, an average December in NJ at 1000 feet or whatever it is means a lot of rain and marginal temps.

In this case, like many others your expectations of what is reasonable are unrealistic.

Now go to bed.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Let's see how Hunter is tomorrow.  It'll be a holiday Sunday.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek was a holiday nightmare today even though lift lines were short.  Especially at north.  There were like 5 busloads of marginal skiers on the mountain and only one trail open not even the full width.  South was OK today and pretty enjoyable, but north was so damn packed that it was more like walking in Penn Station at rush hour than actually skiing.  I could barely make any good turns in a set rhythm because I was needing to dodge all the marginal skiers who were falling left and right.  God I can't wait to go to Hunter tomorrow.  Even that should be less packed.  We really need some snowmaking weather which we'll get next week.
That's got to be bad when you think Hunter on a holiday Sunday will be less busy.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by snoloco
Hunter was a breeze today. Basically no lines till 10, then no lines on West. Rode the F lift a bunch rather than go down to the base. Bring some gore-tex tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Dude you said "no ski area in the east should need any help from mother nature."

If you'll grant that the Adks and Vt and the Cats have had an average year it makes no sense that NJ has had a below average year.  Face the facts, an average December in NJ at 1000 feet or whatever it is means a lot of rain and marginal temps.

In this case, like many others your expectations of what is reasonable are unrealistic.

Now go to bed.
Nope Harvey. NJ had a above normal december for temps and below normal for snowfall. Northern new england can have above average snowfall while southern areas can have below average. Happens all the time.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/newark-nj/07102/december-weather/349530
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Maybe using standards from those who only ski further north it has been average, but when it has hit like 40 up there, it has been warm as heck down here.  When you guys got snow, we got r*in.  When you guys got perfect snowmaking weather, we got just barely borderline conditions, when you guys got marginal snowmaking weather, we got no snowmaking weather.  We have had a pretty bad December if you ask me.  I normally expect a full opening on the 2nd Saturday of December at Mountain Creek, but that did not happen this year.  Up there, most places except Whiteface and Gore are almost fully open, but down here, we are barely open.  For us, it has been a very bad December.
Almost all the CT mountains have opened and they have nearly the same temperatures as MC. There's no way Mt southington at 250 feet which I think is only like 25 miles north of new haven is colder than MC and they have been opened for weeks.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek was a WROD today.  No lines today, but that will probably change tomorrow.  They might blow a little snow tonight to start resurfacing terrain as long as it is cold enough.

White ribbon of death
That's considered "open"?  LOL It's like 15 feet wide in spots and a few inches deep. Rough start
Mohawk from their facebook page taken today after even more melting and temps in 50's.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
You're right. One area can have an above month while another has a below average month.  Doesn't change the fact that a below average month for NVT is likely to be significantly better than an above average month in NJ.

All that aside, my post wasn't based in any research. It was more of an exasperated response to your endless droning and sno's whining.  

Face it, if you are going to shoot for 100 days with MC as your primary mountain you are going to ski some crap. Accept it. Embrace it. It's your choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Harvey wrote
You're right. One area can have an above month while another has a below average month.  Doesn't change the fact that a below average month for NVT is likely to be significantly better than an above average month in NJ.

All that aside, my post wasn't based in any research. It was more of an exasperated response to your endless droning and sno's whining.  

Face it, if you are going to shoot for 100 days with MC as your primary mountain you are going to ski some crap. Accept it. Embrace it. It's your choice.
Absolutely. Especially if you're like snoloco and mostly ski school nights after mountain is skied off at a mega crowded place like mc and only day skiing is on the weekends with insane crowds and low natural snowfall. Common sense.
Yes, you're right that if NVT is below aveage temps, than on AVERAGE nj with be colder as well. But this year wasn't the case. Been BRUTAL down south. Hell, even snow ridge after a monster start isn't even able to open Christmas vacation week. That says something right there!
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Harvey wrote

All that aside, my post wasn't based in any research. It was more of an exasperated response to your endless droning and sno's endless whining.  

Absolutely. Especially if you're like snoloco and mostly ski school nights after mountain is skied off at a mega crowded place like mc and only day skiing is on the weekends with insane crowds and low natural snowfall. Common sense.
Yes, you're right that if NVT is below aveage temps, than on AVERAGE nj with be colder as well. But this year wasn't the case. Been BRUTAL down south. Hell, even snow ridge after a monster start isn't even able to open Christmas vacation week. That says something right there!
Should have skied it while you could.  A lot of people here had a fine 35" powder day there back in November.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sno just strikes me as a extremely enthusiastic youth. Simply that. Oh that most of us could again have that innocent zest. Sure many here have stoke but it's not the same as what youth can generate sometimes.

He wants highspeed lifts......so he can ski more.

He wants massive snowmaking firepower.....so he can ski more. Nothing wrong with this.

If, in the days of your youth or ski beginnings there had been internet forums, I wager most of you would be posting much like Sno does

Lose the jade guys, it's unbecoming. Instead recall the jewel of youth.

It's like this, we all still like romance, BUT recall if you will the first time you were kissed or found out that a girl liked you.....

Be a mentor not a scrooge, Ebenezer.
Reply | Threaded
|

GetAmped
There's holiday crowds? Hadn't noticed

No lines at all at Magic Friday or yesterday. I don't expect any this afternoon either. Or tomorrow.

Which is not great for them since they really need the revenue and I don't need to ski onto the lift every time.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
At noon today I ride the WF Gondi by myself
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
At noon today I ride the WF Gondi by myself
Maybe you should shower once in awhile.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
High noon ? You weren't tokin the gunja on there were you Coach ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
snoloco wrote
.  DO NOT tell me to drive north.
go bowling

I laughed.
funny like a clown