How Stoked is Everyone???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How Stoked is Everyone???

Snowhunter
Okay, I'm sure you all feel the same but I have to say that I really can't wait for this season!  

It's weird but it doesn't matter how much I ski or how old I get but it never gets old.  I'm like a little kid when it comes to winter and skiing!  The last couple of seasons I've gone from around 10-12 days a year to 29 and 37 days the last two and it's never enough.  This year I'm shooting for 50+ days and I can't wait to get started.

We're inventorying and evaluating our gear (gotta figure out what the kids have outgrown and what I want to add to the arsenal) and planning trips and lessons already.  This year I should realize a lifelong dream of having the whole family on the slopes at once.  I can't wait!!!

Last year I started the season on Oct. 30 at Killington and I'm hoping to do the same if not sooner this year.

What do you all do at this time of year?  How bad are you itching to get out there?  What do you do to prepare?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How Stoked is Everyone???

Sick Bird Rider
Yes, the signs of winter are beginning to appear. I've read the first issue of Powder cover to cover, decided what skis I will buy when I win the lottery and ramping up the bike riding. 2012/13 may be the winter that I am most in shape for!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I watch snowboard movies all summer (have 97 of them in my snowboard movie folder so far!), and ramp up my leg workouts in the gym. So Stoked, and my daughter is going to give it another go this year after going on the injured list only 2 weeks into the season last year. My son, well he stays stoked.....
Reply | Threaded
|

parris
I'm doing some more on the bike for the legs and lungs and like others I'm taking inventory.  Later this month we'll get our son new boots as he's growing like a weed.  I'm also thinking about getting another pair of skis to take when there's not a lot of cover.  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
I love skiing but am more than a one trick pony so am enjoying the current golf and biking season and have no desire to RUSH. Thru any season. It'll be here WHEN it arrives THEN  I'llget pumped . Till then I'm having a great time doing the stuff I do in the late summer and fall .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
if you get in any better shape you're going to jinx winter. remember everyone, don't fix the snowblower, buy winter tires, or talk about the new ski stuff you can't wait to use.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by warp daddy
I hear you on being into more than one thing.  I'm guessing that I'm so focused on skiing these past few years for a few reasons:  For years I lived in NYC and worked multiple jobs so my visits to the slopes were limited to 4-6 days at most.  Also for many years I dedicated more time to fishing and golf and usually threw in a couple of canoeing/rafting trips which took away from funds for skiing.  Now I'm fortunate enough to live in the north country and I'm only 25 miles from Gore and Whiteface and Killington are within 2 hrs.  This makes a huge difference that allows me to hit the mountains frequently.  This has allowed me to improve which just drives me to get out there more.  I'm thinking that things might level out more over the next few years as the kids get older and we introduce them to other activities(right now our focus with them has been on skiing and hiking the 46ers).  No matter what the activity though it's always fun to get worked up over it!

Ski movies, yes I've broken a few out along with winter themed movies.

I also really don't like the hot weather and I can't wait to shut down the A/Cs and sit on the deck in a flannel shirt or hoodie.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom

We are ready.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I tell myself I love hiking, but I'm really doing it to keep in shape for ski season..i CANT WAIT! I've been watching ski videos for the past few weeks now. I joined a ski club and I've been watching their site like a hawk for when they post the sign-ups for their east coast trips this year...finally getting to Sugarbush!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
I can't wait for the summer to be over..soo tired of the heat and humidity , tired of having to peel off my sweaty clothes..
If it never went above 50 again, I would be a happy guy..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm in Warp's CAMP....havin a blast hangin with pals, drinkin beer, shootin stuff, eatin stuff, playing golf, riding bike, and sitting around campfires until 4AM....i dig it

Besides, ski season doesn't start for me until after deer season....and that is right around the corner
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Damn deer season is too long! Cuts into ski time
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Trying to be stoked...
I'll get there..
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
being a former Cny.er born and bred  usn's gotta hang together !

camp how's yer golf game doin ?? Havin the best season o my life took 4 strokes off my average this yr now hittin   84 for the season . Don't know when if it'll tank but so far so good been playin 2/3 times a week since early may . hope all is well with the knee and ur findin the short grasses and the flat stick is findin the bottom o da cup  

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
sorry for the thread drift but I gotta answer my main man warpdaddy

My game is wicked up and down----if i can get on that left knee AND TRUST IT life is good, if not, life is real bad---like i have no idea where it's gonna go bad---but that's okay, i can make bogie from anywhere--ha ha

Glad your game is good, nothing better than playing good golf
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
stoke meter climbing here - footbal season's started, monday night beer league race team confirmed, back on the ice with hockey practices in a few weeks, blue mountain ski club group leaders dinner set, gp passholders picnic... next thing you know mtb rides will be set around hunting seasons, some leaf raking, then were off!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
I love skiing but am more than a one trick pony so am enjoying the current golf and biking season and have no desire to RUSH. Thru any season. It'll be here WHEN it arrives THEN  I'llget pumped . Till then I'm having a great time doing the stuff I do in the late summer and fall .
Amen brother... Don't wish it away. Must be part of getting older, but I'm way better at living for the moment than I was when I was younger..that includes skiing. It will happen when it happens.

Here's Joni to remind y'all.

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I love that version of BYT.

I used it in my Ode to a NY Plow Guy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Harvey44 wrote
I love that version of BYT.

I used it in my Ode to a NY Plow Guy.
Thanks Harv...

What's that saying...

Great minds think alike.....

Fools seldom differ...

(no offense...)

TD

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I should add that I do get pretty stoked when I find the first Powder mag of the season at the bookstore...

So much so that I bought both copies last month, one for SBR which I proceeded to hold onto for him for over a week - just to see what would happen...

I keep my copy tucked away for a rainy day in the fall, as that's what fall is for.

TD