117 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How is Platty going to be Saturday?

Ethan Snow
Marcski wrote
Huntah, Schmuntah.

I'm seeing 9-10" at Platty now by Saturday...
That would be awesome. If that't the case, I may change plans and ski Plattskill instead.

JasonWx wrote
I have  been skiing Hunta since 1978 , soph year in high school.. But in the last few years I just can't take the crowds..Hunter has always put out great product and the people show up..I just can't handle it anymore..mid week it is a fun place to ski..
I have to agree. I ski at Hunter a lot during the week on my breaks, and when i'm in school, I ski Plattekill on weekends.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Nope. I'm cool with disagreeing.

I don't see how it's more challenging. Steep east coast ski runs in the Cats are mostly the same thing.

I go the mountains to be in the mountains. to leave the hustle and bustle of the regular day to day world behind. It's escapism and skiing at Hunter feels like I never left. Of course, it's been well over twenty years since I've been there (thank god) but I doubt it's changed much. It feels and looks like the Jersey Shore of the ski world. And then there are the crowds, I hate skiing in and around that many people. I simply can't enjoy it and I can't let go and really ski. It would be a complete waste of my time and money.

It also just looks and feels weird, the mountain seems so tampered with and unnatural. There is ugly shit all over that place, it's just not the sort of experience I enjoy.
AZ nailed it.  

I can't stand skiing with others close to me particularly bad skiers and boarders which based on past experience flock to Huntah like flies to crap.  Hunter is potentially also the ugliest ski area anywhere as well.  Everything I've heard about Platty is my kind of place.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
Coach Z wrote
Hunter is potentially also the ugliest ski area anywhere as well.  
I don't see how it's ugly but whatever. For an aspiring engineer like myself, I admire all the expensive, and modernized "crap" that's all over the mountain. If that's what you're refreeing to. If aesthetics is a thing in skiing, I could argue that Plattekill is ugly for a variety of reasons, but I'd rather not get into that.

I will say that Plattekill has 30' towers and fan guns all over the place. The appearance of the snowmaking equipment isn't really any different, just less of it.

Agree that it's a crazy place on weekends, and people flock there like flies to crap. Valid argument.  Come to Plattekill this Saturday. If there's  really 10" of snow I'll be there.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They blasted almost all the trails, so it's definitely a manufactured experience.  Even the trails at Mountain Creek are more natural feeling.  The trails named after NYC highways are just so fitting for how crowded they can get and the way they're all graded.  For someone who's used to the best ski resort scenery in the east at Whiteface, it's definitely a step down.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
snoloco wrote
 For someone who's used to the best ski resort scenery in the east at Whiteface, it's definitely a step down.
Yeah, but so is Plattekill. If I lived closer to Gore or WF, or even a place like McCauley, I wouldn't waste my time with any Catskill places whatsoever.

Ok, maybe I'd visit once in a while if they got a big dump.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The snow gun towers are a bummer at Platty as well, those weren't there when I was skiing there 23 or so years ago. I really appreciate when ski areas make an effort to disguise that sort of stuff, that's the kind of thinking with ski area management I admire. I'm into skiing and being in the mountains, not geeking out on technology. The less fences, poles, ropes, towers, and any other sort of human created structure the better imo. Keep it classy.

Other than the towers though I think it's a beautiful little hill with nice natural flowing trails down the mountain side and natural glade skiing in between the cut trails. The valley views from Platty are beautiful too. It's classic rolling New York country side. Seriously, I'm not sure how you can't see the difference.

Whatever, different strokes for different folks.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
They blasted almost all the trails, so it's definitely a manufactured experience.  Even the trails at Mountain Creek are more natural feeling.  The trails named after NYC highways are just so fitting for how crowded they can get and the way they're all graded.  For someone who's used to the best ski resort scenery in the east at Whiteface, it's definitely a step down.
Boom. This explains it perfectly imo. Every time I was there it just didn't feel right for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Amen, RA. I think I've said before how I don't like tower guns and permanent fans everywhere; snowmaking lines belong in the woods or as close to that as possible. Tripod guns with a good crew repositioning them when needed work just as well. And when you're done, drag them back to the barn and leave the skiers with the illusion that they're actually in a natural setting
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
When I skied Zermatt, there might have been close to 500-1000 permanent snow guns..that number isn't a exaggeration..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Amen, RA. I think I've said before how I don't like tower guns and permanent fans everywhere; snowmaking lines belong in the woods or as close to that as possible. Tripod guns with a good crew repositioning them when needed work just as well. And when you're done, drag them back to the barn and leave the skiers with the illusion that they're actually in a natural setting
And you'll be paying $100 for a ticket a ticket at Platty if Laz had to pay up for all of the manpower needed for that... In a perfect world, yeah, no tower/pole guns on the sides of trails.  But, there are many many natural snow trails left at Platty. It's one of the reasons I ski there.  I'd rather ski on 5" of natural when I can than 3' of manmade.  And, while we are comparing Huntah vs. Platty...that 5" of natural will last all day (and the some) at Platty while you'll be down to icy manmade base in an hour at Hunter. Like RA said, I go away to the mountains every weekend to escape from people. To get out in nature and enjoy the woods and being alone or just with my crew. I don't want to wait in 5-10 minute lift lines with a couple of hundred people every run or sense that there are people all around me and have to ski like being in a pinball machine. It may not be the biggest, steepest or have the most snowmaking, but the more places I ski, the more I appreciate Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Marcski wrote
Brownski wrote
And you'll be paying $100 for a ticket a ticket at Platty if Laz had to pay up for all of the manpower needed for that... In a perfect world, yeah, no tower/pole guns on the sides of trails.  But, there are many many natural snow trails left at Platty. It's one of the reasons I ski there.  I'd rather ski on 5" of natural when I can than 3' of manmade.  And, while we are comparing Huntah vs. Platty...that 5" of natural will last all day (and the some) at Platty while you'll be down to icy manmade base in an hour at Hunter. Like RA said, I go away to the mountains every weekend to escape from people. To get out in nature and enjoy the woods and being alone or just with my crew. I don't want to wait in 5-10 minute lift lines with a couple of hundred people every run or sense that there are people all around me and have to ski like being in a pinball machine. It may not be the biggest, steepest or have the most snowmaking, but the more places I ski, the more I appreciate Plattekill.

EXACTLY...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jason you've made quite a transformation.

The vast majority of Laszlo's guns were bought second hand, and it's true that the towers are easy to manage, and require less labor.  Plus (many, not all) towers are less costly to run. His primary goal is to succeed (ie stay in business).

I remember when there was a rumor that Gore was going to get a wind turbine.  There was a lot of outcry about the way it would look.  We accept lifts and liftlines without a thought.  Gore has several of the old gondi towers that were never taken down, one pretty visible at the summit.  To some extent it is what you are used to.

I am the anti-snoloco on this as I don't look forward to the day when Plattekill is 100% snowmaking.   It won't be in the next year or two but it will happen.  I love skiing that natural terrain and I'm ok with it when it isn't open. BUT I am not feeding my family with proceeds from the business.  I think if most of us were in Laszlo's spot we'd probably do much of what he has done.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Back to the original question, yea maybe ski Plattekill on Sat. Laz reporting 11 inches at his house in Roxbury.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I've heard 12 from 2 others at their homes as well.

But, go to Hunter. They have more snowmaking and high speed lifts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Have you ever been to either mountain?
I have many times.
From what I read that you write,go to Platty.
Next time try Hunter.
Find one of the many many friendly regulars and just ask for hill tips.
If it wasn't my wife's B'day ,I would be going myself.
Looking forward to your trip report.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
You're probably right about costs, Marc. I was commenting on the aesthetics I guess. I don't expect anybody to rip out snowmaking equipment. I'm just saying tower guns are ugly.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Would it be fair to say that Platty is the Smuggs of the Cats??

I've never been to Hunter or Platty but from what I've read on here I'd choose Platty over Hunter every time. I'm more of an old skewl vibe kinda guy.  I'll take old slow lifts that allow for good conversation over the hurry up and get to the top mentality as well. I say bring back the T bars and rope tows!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Would it be fair to say that Platty is the Smuggs of the Cats?? I've never been to Hunter or Platty but from what I've read on here I'd choose Platty over Hunter every time. I'm more of an old skewl vibe kinda guy. I'll take old slow lifts that allow for good conversation over the hurry up and get to the top mentality as well. I say bring back the T bars and rope tows!
I'd say you understand Plattekill pretty good.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
just checked the PSIA E website and Laz generously offers Level 3 certs a comp lift ticket so that seals the deal for me

Any local peeps free to show me around?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
As to the original question, Plattekill should be super great on Saturday.  If they are already pushing a foot, this storm is going to deliver more today, and there is snow in the forecasts for tomorrow as well.  

As to Platty vs. Hunter on a Saturday?  Plattekill would be so much more pleasant of an experience.  Only downside is the 50 minute or so drive each way from Hunter.

As for Hunter.....I've said it a zillion times, the terrain there is great.  Sure, I'm not crazy about the general layout, but I can live with that for the individual trails.  Good stuff.  Hunter is a great place to go on a week day.  That said, I happily drive up to twice as far to ski Gore or Whiteface on a good day.

As to why I swore off on Hunter on weekends a loooong time ago.....simply crowds.  More specifically, the wrong crowds.  And this was more than a decade ago, it was too crowded.  If Jason says it's worse now....😳😱.

Let me elaborate on the wrong crowds thing, and tell a story.  See, I can deal with crowds.  Put me on the crowded single and full slopes of a MRG with their clientele and I can deal.  However, while there are some great skiers at Hunter mountain, they are outnumbered in multiples by the kinds of crowds that come from NYC and environs.  Maybe some of this has changed.....but the blue jean wearing, hardly ever skied before, don't have a clue, bus loaded rentals crowd.  It's great to see people get out in nature, get some exercise, etc., etc.  However, when that crowd fails to utilize any common sense, especially on a hill like Hunter with legit terrain, bad things happen.  Which brings me to the story.

A long time ago......my brother and I decided we would hit Hunter on a Saturday.  Nice day.  Decent, but not great conditions, firm in spots.  We get warmed up and head over to West.  West has great terrain.  Well, top of Westway (pretty sure it was that, might have been Claire's) was very firm.  Not boilerplate, but much harder than chalky.  Edgeable, but you had to know how to use your edges.  Unfortunately, the kind of crowd I described earlier doesn't know how to use their edges, and they don't employ common sense, and they think they can go anywhere.  Well, some of that crowd was on the trail with us.  My brother and I get a few turns in, when one of the aforementioned blue jeans skiers falls above us, and starts to slide on the steep, firm surface.  No self arrest skills.  This idiot takes my brother out, and they both start sliding toward the edge of the trail, where at the time Hunter had wood slat fencing, probably still do.  Into the fencing they go, my brother's ski going between the slats and breaking in half.  No, the idiot in question didn't even bother to say sorry or see if my brother was ok.  A couple runs in and our day is done, from an incident that could have ended much worse than just a broken ski.  From that day forward I swore never to ski Hunter again, with that crowd, on a weekend, and I haven't.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!