How is Platty going to be Saturday?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
117 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How is Platty going to be Saturday?

JasonWx
GT  I don't think the crowds are worse.Back in 80's they only had fixed griped chairs. The infamous  A lift use to have up to a hour line. Then they put in the Quad, the lift line has lessened but everyone is now on the hill.. Now Hellgate looks like the beach at Normandy..

Also as I get older my tolerance for crowds is but gone..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Gotcha.....better lifts have taken the same shitty crowds and given them more time on the snow to do jackass shit.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by JasonWx
One other huge factor favoring platty - the back yard effect.  We have 12 inches on Long island already.  Even if it washes away, that is the crowd usually inspired to go to hunta, not platty.  I don't even think there are many flatlanders who know of platty (outside those who read this blog)

Summary- you should go to platty over hunter, esp given the dump the metro area is getting.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by Z
I may end up going after all.
Blue H/H jacket , black helmet,gold POC goggles.
I'll show you around if you like.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Same..

Black helmet with a Alta sicker..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
If we don't hit Whiteface this weekend (willing, since they got the 6 overnight) I'll be at Platty on Saturday.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I'll be in that greenish brownish Patagonia jacket on my avatar photo plus a  a multi colored Marker helmet and of course Volkls
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks like I'll be there as well; gray helmet with multiple stickers, probably a yellow anorak
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Shoot....looks like it's gonna be quite a crew on Sat.  Have a good one, turns out we are headed to Placid.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
I was thinking of heading down tomorrow (Friday) as they are open.  Looks like there's a private party there today - how does that always happen on a powder day?!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Hunter is KILLING IT right now..  Woods are sublime..  Great morning of riding..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good for yoou D
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
campgottagopee wrote
Good for yoou D
White room for 2 straight hours...  :)
The Z lift broke down and stranded a bunch of people so I had even more time to get lots of fresh...  

I miss powder like this...  Over the knee or GTFO!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

cbuzbo
It's been years since I've skied a fully-open Hunter West. Always loved Annapurna, but, and maybe I'm wrong here, I feel a bit safer (better maintenance) in the woods of Plattekill than Huntah--where I don't see tree skiing as a thing--or did I just stumble upon a local Hunter secret?

I spent two midweek days at Hunter in Dec. and found myself over the whole thing.  I dig the vibe, scenery, and trees so much more at Plattekill.  Stoked for fresh woods and to try out the new Icelantics and Plattekill tomorrow!

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i'm going to platty tomorrow will let you know how it is. anyone going to be there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by cbuzbo
I'm having a hard time understanding why 100% snowmaking at Plattekill would be sad. The only thing that's sad is the fact that we don't get enough natural snow to have those trails open the majority of the year. That has nothing to to with Laszlo. If Laszlo ever achieves 100% snowmaking (which he very well may, if he actually purchases the whole mountain at some point)   to me, that's very remarkable on his part, making the entire mountain sustainable. I personally wouldn't have a problem with 2' of base under the natural snow we often get on powder days.

But, I agree with Brownski, put the hydrants in the woods, and use ground guns. Both SnowLogic and now HKD, make a very lightweight and portable ground guns that are low-e technology and will work great at Platekill since they have a high pressure water system with limited air. Get a fleet of 25-30 of those, and leave them in the woods when not in use so you aren't always dragging them all the way up the mountain. I think Gore and WF does this.

Here's the snow gun I would get of I was Laz.

On a side note, In spite of my negativity, it's looking like I will be at Platty this Saturday after all, hence the unexpected snow. Hopefully hitting the woods/ MTB trails. I'll be wearing a royal blue jacket, green helmet, black pants, and red Fischers if you want to say hi, Coach.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
onscott wrote
I was thinking of heading down tomorrow (Friday) as they are open.  Looks like there's a private party there today - how does that always happen on a powder day?!!!
It happens on Monday and Thursday. Those are rental days.

Who said it was sad? Me? Well maybe...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i looked at the web cam all day. there was about 5 people there. those flatlanders all stayed home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I will find it sad.

There are so few places in the east where you can enjoy the sensation of natural snow underfoot on ski trails. IMHO, sliding on natural snow is one of the most enjoyable things I do in life.  Personally, I would rather have a smaller selection of trails to ski and wait (or more likely forage for natural snow on a closed trail) for the days when those trails have enough snow to be officially open. The unique, joyous, feeling of natural snow is unmatched.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
But, I agree with Brownski, put the hydrants in the woods, and use ground guns. Both SnowLogic and now HKD, make a very lightweight and portable ground guns that are low-e technology

Here's the snow gun I would get of I was Laz.

I don't like those guns.  That design was supposed to be used on towers, and it needs the extra hang time to make good snow.  Whiteface has those ground guns and whenever I ski near them, they're always running really wet, so you get ice instead of good snow.  They work well for building up a base before the trail is open, but it's much better to use towers and the older ratnik ground guns when resurfacing.
I've lived in New York my entire life.