This post was updated on .
that's a great video.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to Reglue Climbing Skins

Harvey
Administrator
I thought so too. I put it here so I can find it.

My skins didn't come with shiny paper, I don't really have a local shop. Maybe inside edge.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Thanks!!
The biggest issue I have is when I take skins on and off and they pick up dry snow, the don't stick well and I need to brush out the snow. I have kept my release sheets as I store my skins with the release sheets on  as they are a bitch to separate when they have sat stuck together for a long time. I have never reglued but I have some skins that need it. I will try this.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PeeTex wrote
Thanks!!
The biggest issue I have is when I take skins on and off and they pick up dry snow, the don't stick well and I need to brush out the snow.
They wrong side isn't supposed to touch the snow
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
G3 sells "skin savers", mesh sheets to fold into your skins for storage.  The used to come with the skins, now you ahve to pay extra for them.  the work well though.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
PeeTex wrote
Thanks!!
The biggest issue I have is when I take skins on and off and they pick up dry snow, the don't stick well and I need to brush out the snow.
They wrong side isn't supposed to touch the snow
Yes, but that does not always happen.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

SteveSam
I used a similar technique a couple of years ago. I did not have the shiny release paper that original came with my skins. I used parchment paper and it worked very well. Just make sure that you test and make sure the paper you use will release from the glue. I used the skins for the past couple of winters and they have been working well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
+ 1 on the parchment paper.  I didn't even have to add any new glue to my old BD "tractor tread" skins, I just ironed out the globs of glue (low temp on the iron) and there was enough to re spread over the skin.  Key is to let them cool and dry totally, a day is sufficient.  Looks like I'll have to do the same with my brand new BDs - the glue sucks - it's already 50% gone, so I'll have add more.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.