How to Show Off Your Home Mountain?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to Show Off Your Home Mountain?

snoloco
Here's the scenario, you're showing people your home ski area who have never been there before.  The mountain is 100% open, and the weather is perfect.  You are giving these people a tour.  What trails/areas would you show them.  Assume they are upper intermediate skiers.

Personally, my priority would be to show the signature trails that are unique to the said mountain, and show all mountain areas, excluding areas dedicated to condo access and beginner areas.

Here's what I would do for Whiteface:

Ride gondola up, ski Excelsior-Valley-Fox to base.
Get on Facelift and at the top get on Lookout Triple.  Ski Wilmington Trail back to the base.
Get on Facelift again and at the top take the Summit Quad.  Ski Paron's/Follies-Victoria-Easy Way-Boreen.

This way you get 3 very long runs, which is what sets Whiteface apart from most other mountains.  You get to see all 3 summits, building from the lowest elevation to highest.  All the upper mountain trails are runs that are incredibly unique to Whiteface and should be seen by any visitor.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to Show Off Your Home Mountain?

MC2 5678F589
One of my favorite things to do at ski resorts is to show people around a mountain - second only to being shown around a mountain.

I guess you have a pretty good system for an upper intermediate at Whiteface (visit all summits, check out all views), but you forgot to include the social stuff: where are you eating? Where are you taking breaks? Who are you introducing them to? Where do you Aprés? The ski experience is more than just skiing. Also, you have to determine pacing. Are these the kind of people who get off the lift and ski right to the bottom? Or do they like to stop and take pictures of a place they've never been?

With that in mind, at Gore, I'd start in town with Breakfast at Cafe Sarah, then I'd go to the Ski Bowl for some groomers and maybe an easy glade. Then I'd go over to Burnt Ridge, ski Sagamore, drop of the back into Twister Glades to the North Chair, go the back way up to the Dark Side, ski those trails and the summit trails until lunch, ride topridge to the top of Bear - do lunch at the saddle and avoid the base area until later. Then I usually like to have an adventure, so I'd probably take them on something off the map, or (depending on equipment) ski out to the Rabbit pond trail, or arrange a car drop to ski the Raymond Brook Trail. Aprés would be Beers on the deck if we ended up at the base lodge, or Beers in the Yurt if we were down at the Ski Bowl. Then probably Bar Vino for  more drinks and a bite to eat.

I don't know Plattekill that well yet, but there are definitely some adventure Opportunities. The Cardinal would be fun to search for. And Aprés would be at the bar (or the deck in the spring time).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to Show Off Your Home Mountain?

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by snoloco
I would start with the practical stuff - how to get to the base lodge if you're lost or have to take a dump.  E.g. following the HSQ will get you to mid or the base.

Have a look at the grooming report, plan accordingly.  Hit the busiest trails early while they are good, then go off the beaten path.  Start with easier trails if they don't ski too often.  Find some photo ops so they can post to anti-social media.  Aside from the obvious, a good one at WF is the top of Lookout Below (even if they don't ski it).
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.