How would you rate the 2018-19 season so far?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How would you rate the 2018-19 season so far?

Benny Profane

Three major rain events have really screwed up what looked to be an accumulating base. I was lucky to catch two snow events midweek, so, that was cool, but then I'm stuck down in Ct. watching forecasts that call for possible rain or the dreaded "frozen mix", and I'm not driving four to five hours for that. This Sunday looks pretty lame, too. Then there's the immediate drop to sub zero temps after the rain to ensure boilerplate. I was kinda horrified to find the carnage at Killington last week after the rain/flash freeze. Fortunately, it snowed on that a little. A pulled hamstring in January didnt help, either, but fortunately that coincided with one of the rain events.
Don't worry, though, I'm away pretty much the whole month of March, so, you're going to have an excellent month. Enjoy!

Btw, I'm happy to rediscover Sugarbush this season. Awesome midweek mountain, nobody there with most lifts running, and basically free to seniors over 65. I'll be back next season.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
7 out of 10. All my days were good conditions. 3 what I would call "Pow" days.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa

The Blower Plow is an indicator of a good season in terms natural snow for us over here in desert.  At the passes, these things are a common sight.  This is the first I've seen him this year in my neighborhood... for the 16-17 season he was up here before Christmas.  We've got another 6 to 8 inches coming on the East side with about twice that on the West.  Down South is getting hammered.  Some spots are still below normal, but the PNW snowpack looks pretty good for February.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Blower plow?  Do you mean snowblower?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
In reply to this post by Harvey
I have skied Hunter all season, mostly during the week. they lucked out on the Late November storm and never looked back. Of course they got caught in the crazy pattern of snow, to ice, to rain [even though it was way below freezing at ground level]. but I give the new owners kudo's in not being afraid to fire the guns whenever there was a decent opportunity. Up until about two weeks ago this was working to provide a decent if not great experience. About two weeks ago the fluctuating weather seemed to start to win, especially with the Wed of President's week, snow to ice. the trails were either hard pack or frozen. Not horrendous like the old days, but you were better off getting done by 1:30 and calling it a day. Today Sunday Feb 24 is a wash out , though Saturday 23rd ,was way crowded but very skiable. Hunter is stating on it's website that it start snowmaking as soon as conditions allow , which might be this Tuesday. Good for them, i remember the days when snow making was done as of President's day. We'll see if we can coax at least one major storm for March, but so far , given the crazy weather, I'd post a solid 7 for the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Capdistski
I’m also restricted to weekends and holidays but would say this year has been 7-8, better than the last two up to now but last year’s March gave it an uptick. I guess I timed it well so far but pre and post Thanksgiving at Gore was memorable, especially the bushwhacking on Uncas.  Had a great day on 12/15 and pretty decent days each side of Xmas, followed by a great MLK which included a memorable powder day at West.  And 2/2 was a great solo day for me hitting all of Gore.

And I just got back from 5 days at Big Sky so can’t complain about that.  It beat MLK at Steamboat last year which was a tough January for CO.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Season quality? I'd say 8 out of 10.  For me season quality is about the number of days on snow as well as ski conditions.  I've been generally fortunate with good conditions, not as fortunate with number of days.