How would you rate the 2018-19 season so far?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How would you rate the 2018-19 season so far?

Harvey
Administrator
A few days ago I heard someone say "man what a shit season."

I thought WTF?  I would rate it higher than shit for sure.

This guy was a SoVT skier and I realized that they probably have had a worse season than the Adks or Cats.  (They have a had a lot of rain.)

Where do you ski and what would you give the season on a scale of 1 to 10?

No comparing different regions (like last year I was based at Alta and this year I ski Mountain Creek and the season is a 1). Compare each region to itself in other years.

As time goes on, feel free to change your score, like when March becomes a total dumpfest!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How would you rate the 2018-19 season so far?

JasonWx
I guess if you were able to pick your days..This would be a much above avg season...I would imagine spring should be great..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Harvey
7 of 10 at best.  Half dozen times at Gore, all frozen solid except for one.  No fault of the mountain.  One at Sugarbush also frozen solid.  One at Smuggs, softer and warmer so best day of the year.  Maybe a 6 for the season.  I know there were some solid days at Gore this year, but unless you hit one,  its really been super firm, or really wet,  not a lot of in-between (meaning ideal).   Not a crap season, but below average.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
7, I guess? Above average, and I was lucky enough to time my western trip right? Not 8-10 because the long commutes to mountains are getting kind of tiresome, I haven't done as many adventures as I've wanted, and I always want more snow & more sunny, 32° days.

I'm looking forward to the warmth, soft corn, & late light of Spring skiing. A nice Spring and a couple of good adventures could bump the season up to an 8 or 9.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Agree 100% Jason. If could pick days, could be 9 or 10.  Limited to weekends, significantly lower.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Great early season, 3ft in the trees at Gore November 30th. Not so great since. Last weekend was good at Greek and Gore. Looking forward to a snowy March, the last two were.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Hoser
i'm limited to only Saturdays..So not a good season..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
I'd give it a 6...maybe 7. I'm limited to mostly weekends which as others have noted has been difficult this year due to the ill timed freeze-thaws. Did get a few good weekend days in at Gore and Magic in Nov and Dec, MLK Saturday and Sunday, Superbowl Weekend Fri and Sat, and last weekend. Outside of that has been pretty meh. have also skipped quite a few weekends due to the freeze ups.

Work has also been a big factor in my season so far. Has been very difficult to get time off much less even not work weekends to go ski.

Have 4 VT tickets I need to burn up, but haven't been able to go yet this season due to being blacked out, work, or crappy conditions. Hoping that changes in March and we have a repeat of last season. IF we can repeat last March (which is doubtful) would bump this season up to a 8 or 9 for sure in my book. Was an epic stretch of March weekends last year.

Trying to fit in a ski trip out west somewhere in March...but work is doing everything it can to derail those plans.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Being limited to weekends and holidays and having been jammed up by work through most of Nov/Dec.  I have missed most of the great days but I would still give it a seven- could be a lot worse (and has been recently).
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
I'd give a 7 for the PNW.  November was nonexistent, December had it's moments, January was dry and slightly warmer than average, and February has been wonderful.  The snowpack out here was running well below normal until a couple of weeks ago.  The majority of my skiing and riding had been at home (30 days on snow so far +/-)

Not the best, but by no means the worst.  It's a double edged sword for me.  The best seasons require a ton of snow removal work.  Yesterday required a lot work getting snow off of my roof.  This was the second major work effort for me this season.  In past seasons, I have been up on the roof 4 times by February.  I can still see out my back window...

In the best seasons, this view is completely obscured by snow by February.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You're really comparing to previous years for yourself so I all you guys who were talking about skiski only on the weekend we're you able to ski during the week in other years?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
You're really comparing to previous years for yourself so I all you guys who were talking about skiski only on the weekend we're you able to ski during the week in other years?
I haven’t been able to get out midweek too much in many years. I think it’s just the timing of the storms/thaws this year.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Weekends only year over year.  Fair comparison.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Great early season, still alive and in one piece, beer still tastes good, gonna dump in March. No worries other than how I'm gonna disappear from work often to enjoy it. I'm sure I'll figure something out.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Hoser wrote
Weekends only year over year.  Fair comparison.
Yeah, it's been a bad year for weekend warriors. The best days I have gotten have been weekdays & vacation days. Weekends have been mediocre, both weather-wise & crowd-wise.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I ski mostly mid week and would give it a 7 or 8. I've been able to avoid most of the really bad days.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
7 outta 10 or so. The insane base depth of the Mansfield Stake really doesn't tell the full story of this season which has had a lot of ups and downs. Thanksgiving week was off the charts.

But since then, you really needed to be at the right mountain at the right time. Snow storms have been quickly followed by rain/freeze/cold/wind. We always seem to be one storm away from fully burying the previous crusty base layer. All that said, when the snow has been good, it has been quite good.

Southern New England has really gotten hosed this season, though. I could see someone that doesn't go too far north thinking this season has been significantly below average.

But around these parts, it hasn't been an issue of quantity of snow but rather long term quality of snow. Still plenty of time left to get this season way above average. But also plenty of time to completely sink the season into below average territory as well. We'll see what happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
7.  I missed the November dumps and then it was pretty firm from Xmas until MLK.  But from MLK on I've hit one good weekend after another including mid week last week
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
10/10 in Utah this year so far  Started snowing around Thanksgiving and the storms kept coming. A couple stretches of high pressure in mid December and early January but we really started getting pounded in February. Haven't been on here much lately but maybe I'll post some pics when I have the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
It’s been a good season so far. Last year at this time we were into our second big melt. It was dirt just about every where but where snow had been made and where it had was super hard pack. We have had several good quality snow days and hope for more to come.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.