Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Huge Crash in Tour de France

Sick Bird Rider
What a gong show. Ah well, Rule # 5, get back on the bike.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Ouch.  That had to hurt

I think that was Dutch right
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Fugly but it will happen , just gotta get back in the saddle
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Ouch. But that is just a day at the office for those guys.  Pro riders are some of the toughest athletes anywhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I don't like how they stopped the race to allow everyone involved in the crash to catch up. Pretty sure that wouldn't ever happen in any other kind of race.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
mattchuck2 wrote
I don't like how they stopped the race to allow everyone involved in the crash to catch up. Pretty sure that wouldn't ever happen in any other kind of race.
There was a second crash ahead of the one that was captured on video. I also read that race organizers may have been concerned with medic cars being stuck at the crash site and not with the peloton. Both crashes combined to be pretty brutal... it doesn't happen that often but it seemed justified in this case. In cycling, often times the peloton will self police and slow itself down if the leader's jersey gets crashed or has a mechanical. Though given FC wasn't a threat for overall, it didn't seem like that would have been an issue yesterday. The slow down certainly didn't have any effect overall so I don't see a big deal, seemed appropriate given the scale of the crash.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
No - it's not like the slow or stop a race in Nascar when a wreck happens
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
No - it's not like the slow or stop a race in Nascar when a wreck happens
Yeah, they slow everyone down because they have to go around that spot again because the track is a loop. I meant point to point type races. Sorry that was unclear.

And yes, on TV, they said it was the concern about not being able to get medical personnel forward in the event of another hypothetical crash. I found that line of thinking to be extremely over cautious.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Also there is a % time limit off the stage winners time which in a flat stage is pretty tight.  It does the tour organizers no good is they end disqualifying a huge part of the field when there are multiple big crashes
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Coach Z wrote
Also there is a % time limit off the stage winners time which in a flat stage is pretty tight.  It does the tour organizers no good is they end disqualifying a huge part of the field when there are multiple big crashes
Looks like Harv's vid was removed.  Here's another one, the crash is at ~ 2:20. And see at 5:10, rider's jersey just ripped apart.

<nabble_embed>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44D43ttvkNA</nabble_embed> 

From what I've read, the carnage overwhelmed the medical personnel on hand. Each sport has different customs.  I've read that the entire peloton  stops when the leaders have to, uh, process coffee.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp