Good source of Hunter info:

http://hunterskiscene.blogspot.com/2013/11/hunter-nov-19-up-date.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

snoloco
Great snow yesterday on opening day.  Belt opens today with only 24 hours of snowmaking!  Hunter is simply amazing early season!  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Skied yesterday from opening till about 3:15.  Hellgate was a mess after lunch.  Belt had great conditions in the morning and acceptable conditions later.  Snowmaking has been suspended due to warm temps, but will start up again Friday night.  Next on the hit list is Minya, Crossover, Eisenhower, Cliff, East Side, and Wayout.  They also had a little "issue" with the six pack that shut it down for about half an hour.  Trails served by the D-Lift were empty during that time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Snowmaking is in full force.  They are making snow on Eisenhower, East Side Drive, Minya Konka, Lower Crossover, Milky Way, Cliff, Bleeker Street, Broadway, 42nd Street, Wayout, Hellgate, 7th Avenue, Kennedy, Belt Parkway, and the Battery.  They will get an even better window next week and will likely have all the closed trails that are being blown, open, plus more for next weekend.  Very excited!  
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Skied today from opening to closing.  Snowmaking was in progress on Minya Konka, Lower Crossover, Cliff, Bleeker Street, Eisenhower, and Wayout.  My expectations were greatly exceeded today.  I thought that there would be lots of ice and only Belt and Hellgate open.  It was an amazing gift from Hunter's snowmaking team that they opened Cliff, Eisenhower, and Bleeker Street in the afternoon.  Hunter is the only mountain I know of that can open a trail in 24 hours.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
good to hear..might pop up there for few hrs on Thurs
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I will be there next on Saturday.  With the window they are getting, most of the mountain should be open.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
All front side trails are either open or being blown and are scheduled to open Saturday except White Cloud, Upper Crossover,  Upper 42nd Street, Lower 42nd Street, Mad Box and KMC Drive.  The West Side will open tomorrow with Wayout.  Clair's Way and Colonels Alternate could open on Saturday.  Hunter One is also being expanded.  If all of this opens, then they may end up having the most open terrain in the state.  This is even more proof that Hunter is superior to all when it comes to snowmaking, snow conditions, and early season terrain expansion.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
36 trails and 8 lifts with more to come as snow accumulates.  All front side trails are open except for White Cloud, Upper Crossover, Lower K27, Gateway, KMC Drive, and the glades.  West Side is open with Wayout and Clairs.  They may have the most open in NY.  Tomorrow's gonna be awesome!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
AWESOME DAY, 10 INCHES OF FRESH POWDER.  Most of the front side open and some of the west side.  Conditions were amazing all day long.  Couldn't ask for a better day.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
Yesterday was my first day of the season. Overall, Hunter was skiing very well. Hunter picked up a few inches yesterday, mostly in the afternoon hours. The chalky man-made mixed with natural made for some nice turns. Claire's was bumped up and skiing nicely so I had numerous laps over there. The Cliff > Racer's was another highlight, especially once they turned the guns off of The Cliff.

The wind was brutal for the better part of yesterday. K27 was scoured down to an icy base as a result, and should be avoided in the immediate future. Some of the more exposed parts of the lower mountain were also wind-buffed, but it also meant opportunities if you knew where the snow was being deposited.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Hunter:

Here’s our story – Even with the recent “unseasonable weather,” we’re are going strong with 37 trails open as of this afternoon – a real testament to the base we built up early on.  We will start making snow around midnight tonight and continue for as long as temperatures permit. We expect our trail count to be pushing 50 by Friday.  

More pictures to follow.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
From Hunter:
We expect our trail count to be pushing 50 by Friday.  
I hope Annapurna and Westway are in that 50.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
From Hunter's website.

Hello skiers and riders!

It’s a guaranteed White Christmas at Hunter Mountain!  As you know, no one bounces back from a spell of unseasonable weather faster than we do.  Here is a fun fact that will give you an idea of how much snow we’re cranking out these days: In just 10 hours, we’d cover over 36 football fields in a foot of snow.  Snowmakers were out in full force last night and will continue into the next several days.  Watch for jumps in our trail count each morning and afternoon!

We will be open on Tuesday, December 24th from 9:00am to 4:00pm with at least 37 trails with terrain for every ability level. The Kaatskill Flyer, B Lift, C Lift, Zephyr Express, Carpet One and Pony Lift will run.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Hunter this am:

"I went out for a lap fairly early and the conditions were actually very nice – no ice, powdery, soft – it will only get better."

(via mobile)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
A week ahead of solid cold weather and snow.  Hopefully Annapurna will get blown during it.
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
Hunter bounces back well from Rain, I was there Sunday Jan 5  it was great, but it started raining in the early evening and most of Monday, went back on Thursday and it was pretty good, a few days of bitter cold nights and almost the whole mountain was open. Was it Champagne Powder no, was it good skiing yes.
JIMMYPETE
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
Ok no legal MJ, but Hunter's conditions on Sunday morning were as close to Colorado as I've seen in a long time. Kudos to Hunter , they blew even in the teeth of the storm. Didn't ski Saturday which was epically crowded, but got up and on the lift to blue blue skies and 32 degrees , no wind at 9am.Crowd was doable,  Packed powder everywhere, serious bumps on Clair's , I demurred but my son took it and pronounced fantastic. Still no Annapura , come on guys , for Irv and Orville , get that up, bump half and groom half [for us old guys]. Clouds started to roll in about 1pm, we rolled out , Evil forecasts for Sunday Night, Monday morning, It is still the East remember. But if they commit to making snow again the rest of the week will bounce back. ps My 5 year old gran-daughter said the new magic carpet was great.
JIMMYPETE