Friday the 18th was surprisingly good. Hunter had two days of rain in the previous week. Temps and humidity weren't conducive to snow making except for a short period late Thursday into Friday morning. Yet the conditions were fine if alittle slick. Actually better than the report which indicated 'frozen granular' which to me means ice. There was some but almost every trail was better than ok. Stayed off of Clairs as the word was that it was icy, and didn't want to test the steep with the ice, The conditions were helped by the sparse crowd, left around 1pm after a good day so can't attest to the afternoon. Actually, now. as I look out on the snow showers in Jersey, if this is replicated in the Cats Hunter et al should have good conditions for the holiday weekend.
Sunday MLK fresh powder 2-4 inches, way too crowded to last, by 12:30 icy and still crowded. Hunter made some bucks this weekend that's good, but the only good skiing was pushed away by 11:30, too bad, but my next hookey day is Thursday the 30th, usually the weekdays are primo
Today skied like 2 different days. Started out with howling winds that meant no F-Lift, no 6-pack, no D-Lift, and no Zephyr. Only B-Lift, C-Lift, and E-Lift were open. Conditions were horrible with windblown snow and boilerplate. Also you got stuck in multiple areas on the trail because of the crazy wind gusts. You almost couldn't get off the B-Lift for the same reason. My dad and I thought about bailing and going to Creek, but we stayed. We were rewarded later. The D-Lift came online at about 10:00 and then the 6-pack and Zephyr came online at about 10:30. Unfortunately, F-Lift never came online although they didn't need it anyway.
After lunch the wind died down considerably and the 6-pack was sped up to full speed. Many of the crowds left because they thought that nothing would open. They were handing out vouchers earlier for people to come back another day. There were awesome spring conditions for the entire afternoon and minimal lift lines at the 6-pack. My dad and I took run after run for most of the afternoon top to bottom on the east side trails. For icing on the cake, they ran the 6-pack till 4:30, so we got a couple extra runs. I will chose to remember the good from this day rather than the bad. This proves my theory that you should wait out any issues at ski areas because they will most likely be fixed, such as the lifts opening up later in the morning after some people gave up.