Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hunter Mountain to Host Winter Driving School

Harvey
Administrator
Hunter Mountain to Host Winter Driving School
Partners with Skip Barber Racing School

Hunter, NY – Hunter Mountain is pleased to announce a partnership with the Skip Barber Racing School. The mountain will be the host of the first ever Skip Barber Winter Driving School series this winter. Based on The Skip Barber Racing School’s one-day Driving School program, the Winter Driving School aims to teach participants how to respond safely in winter driving conditions under the supervision of trained professionals. Skip Barber Racing School and Hunter Mountain plan to work together to create a designated course that will mimic highway driving in winter settings. In addition, there will be technical classroom talks with curriculum presented by Skip Barber Racing School instructors.

Skip Barber Racing School has operated with a fully integrated system of racing schools, driving schools, racing championships, corporate events and special projects across North America since 1975.  No other organization delivers such a combination of high quality instruction, equipment, facilities and memorable experiences. CEO, Michael Culver says “We are excited about this new partnership with Hunter Mountain, and look forward to hosting programs that will teach lifesaving skills using time-tested racing techniques. Together, Skip Barber Racing School and Hunter Mountain can create memorable motorsports experiences that are both fun and educational”.

The Skip Barber Winter Driving School at Hunter Mountain will include a meet and greet with instructors, lodging at The Resort’s luxurious Kaatskill Mountain Club, fine dining in Van Winkle’s Restaurant, technical instruction, and of course, the first hand driving experience.  Hunter Mountain VP of Sales and Marketing, Gerry Tschinkel, expresses his excitement about the new program by stating “Hunter Mountain leads the way once again by partnering with the premier driving school, Skip Barber Racing School, to introduce this exciting and potentially lifesaving Winter Driving School”.  The first Winter Driving School is slated for January 28, 2014, with more to follow.  To view the school’s itinerary and register for the program, visit HunterMTN.com.  To reserve your space for The School, call 518-263-4223 ext. 2360.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hunter Mountain to Host Winter Driving School

njadk
This is a wonderful idea. Do you think Hunter has enough room to accommodate the tens of millions of people in the Northeast who should attend?
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Harvey
Will they be driving on winter tires or all season radials?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I thought this took place at Plattekill already
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This is a great idea on Hunter's part. Skip Barber's driving school has a great reputation. I wonder if he'll bring in the fleet of Neon's or if people will drive their own cars.

skimore wrote
I thought this took place at Plattekill already
Truth. That lot can be an adventure!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Can they please teach a course on "how not to ski in jeans" or "how not to smoke cigarettes and talk on your cell phone in the lift line"?

When I was a kid, my Dad would take us to an ice covered parking lot, let us drive, and then either pull the emergency brake or yank the wheel. It was a little bit of the "throw the kid in the pool so he can learn how to swim method", but it worked well. Cheaper too.

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
When I was a kid, my Dad would take us to an ice covered parking lot, let us drive, and then either pull the emergency brake or yank the wheel. It was a little bit of the "throw the kid in the pool so he can learn how to swim method", but it worked well. Cheaper too.
And I thought I was the only one who got this treatment! A Ford Club Wagon does not handle well in a snow covered parking lot, lesson learned.

No kidding on the Plattekill parking lot. I reenacted this Austin Powers scene on Saturday getting out of my spot.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Can they please teach a course on "how not to ski in jeans" or "how not to smoke cigarettes and talk on your cell phone in the lift line"?
Look - 1984 is calling....  :)

You think this is Whiteface? We don't act like that at Hunter anymore...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
  who the hell goes to a ski mtn to take a driving course in the parking lot?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tommy
signing my chicly up now!