classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hunter Mtn - 3/17/12 - St Patty's Day

x10003q
This post was updated on .
I got to Hunter around 9:45am. Despite the weather forecast, I did not encounter any fog at Hunter. There was a little fog on the Thruway between exit 16 and exit 17. It was already 53 on the car thermometer and there were beautiful blue skies and a light breeze. The temps eventually reached the high 60s and I saw 71 on one of Hunter's electronic message boards. There were a lot more cars in the parking lot than I expected.

Hunter Classic View

The view from the car showed the signs of the warm weather. The first ride up the HS6 gave me a close up view of current conditions. Racer's Edge was showing some grass but also a great line of moguls. There was a little strip of snow at the top of Racer's to get access to the good stuff.I saw quite a few people stuck on this upper section. Eisenhower and Belt Parkway skied nicely and had great coverage.

Eisenhower and Racer's Edge

Racer's Edge Close Up

Belt Parkway

Broadway had big patches of grass showing through but still skied nicely. Hellgate was wall to fence bumps all day. Every trail on the main face of Hunter had bumps. The only trails without any bumps at all were the wrap around trails (Jimmie Heuga, White Cloud, Belt, Way Out). There was even ice on sections of these trails that were untouched by the powerful March sun.

Hellgate

Broadway

Hunter set up a food and beverage tent at the top and had set up some speakers for music. Everybody was in a good mood and people were in various states of undress including shorts, bikini tops, t-shirts, and a few men with no shirts.

Top of Hunter

There were zero lines on the lifts and except for a few rare moments no crowding on the trails. It looked like some people were taking bump lessons through out the day. K27 and Upper Crossover were in great shape and today was the best K27 skied  all season.

Upper Crossover loaded with big mushy moguls

A Lesson on East Side Drive

Jimmie Heuga Express

Drop Off was the best non-bump run of the day. The trail was soft and smooth with full snow coverage.

Down Drop Off - Lots of Cars in the Lot

There was a celebrity sighting as the rock band Devo was seen loading on the HS6.

We Are Devo!

It turned out that they were just part of the Zipline Tour.

Way Out was open on Hunter West. Eventually Claire's opened with some walking needed.

Way Out

Hunter West

Bumps on Hellgate

The patio outside the base lodge was packed. There was a hot tub, bar, grill, and music and St Patty's Day specials. I think many people did not make it back to the slopes after lunch. Hunter was also hosting a snowboard demo day.

Party on the Patio

Hunter will make it to next weekend, but after that is a huge question mark. The upcoming heat wave might end Hunter's season next weekend.

Broadway Snow Removal

Holes in the Gun Hill Road Base

Last Run

There was a big Party happening by the time the lifts stopped spinning.

Apres St Patty's Day

End of the Season?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hunter Mtn - 3/17/12 - St Patty's Day

gebbyfish
Good report!  It's really warming up out there and full on melt!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Looks amazing.... I wish we could ski all summer.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
nice report..glad james pulled me towards Bell. Bell was nice and quiet...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Looks amazing.... I wish we could ski all summer.
Me too. Yesterday had it all - sun, blue skies, warm temps, plenty of snow, bumps, and a great party at the base.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
x10003q wrote

Me too. Yesterday had it all - sun, blue skies, warm temps, plenty of snow, bumps, and a great party at the base.
It was a nice day for sure!!!  Soft soft soft...  bumps bumps bumps..party party party... :)
Classic warm spring day at Hunter for sure.

We had a nice thing going on the middle station deck all day..  And yeah the party on the deck was crazy!  Hot tubs..  BBQ..  Green costumes.. Goooooood fun!

yesterday was great as well - but not quite as nice as Saturday..
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
This post was updated on .