Hunter is blowing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hunter is blowing

JasonWx
Looks like Hunter will have a solid week of snowmaking temps..Hopefully we will be making turns on Saturday..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hunter is blowing

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
There is a good chance I'll see you there, though it would be my first weekend day there not in late spring in ages.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
how did you get the first shot.. from a helicopter?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Closeup from across the valley...  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
So when is opening day? Looks like they could spin chairs tomorrow if they wanted.
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
Sounds like it's going to be Saturday: post from alpinezone
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Like I said in that thread, it's hard to see how opening first (or tied for first) among your comp set is an epic fail.  Wouldn't be surprised if H has the most terrain on Saturday. Maybe the thread title was a joke. I didn't read all 12 pages.

Thanks for the pics dmc.
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
Harvey44 wrote
Like I said in that thread, it's hard to see how opening first (or tied for first) among your comp set is an epic fail.  Wouldn't be surprised if H has the most terrain on Saturday. Maybe the thread title was a joke. I didn't read all 12 pages.

Thanks for the pics dmc.
It's a long story, the thread started about a week ago.  But in the past few days as Hunter started blowing snow the topic in the thread shifted to their snowmaking progress and it now should be called Hunter=Win
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I actually did read the first few pages and I understood the context of the Jiminy thing. My point was that eastern GMs have tough jobs answering to owners and customers and dealing with the wildcard - the weather.

Hunter, or any mountain is a business. I realize part of capitalism is customer feedback, and that's what epic fail was about. But, unlike some other hills, in the last 3-4 years H has consistently made smart decisions about early season blowing, waiting for a solid window of cold and hammering it.

After what went on at Hunter after last years wipeout, you might expect H to be "gun shy" but I don't see it. They are true to form, making prudent decisions and going for it when they believe the time is right.

Jiminy is closed this week so I have no idea how much terrain they really have online, but I bet by Sunday night Hunter is competitive.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't see why Jiminy blowing snow on the 9th is "Hunter's Fail". They aren't open this week either, probably because it got patchy, but I'd be stoked if I was a passholder, or lived in the area though. Good on them for bringing some people early skiing. In my world, ski areas would act like pharmacies to ensure that one of them is always open. As much as AZ thinks this is a huge contest or insult, I don't think that most people over 13 years of age feel the same way. It's sort of like if I'm biking with lance armstrong and I say "Race you to the end of the street" when we're right there and I take off, it doesn't make me a faster biker, either... He just didn't know we were racing.

Reply | Threaded
|

k123
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I actually did read the first few pages and I understood the context of the Jiminy thing. My point was that eastern GMs have tough jobs answering to owners and customers and dealing with the wildcard - the weather.

Hunter, or any mountain is a business. I realize part of capitalism is customer feedback, and that's what epic fail was about. But, unlike some other hills, in the last 3-4 years H has consistently made smart decisions about early season blowing, waiting for a solid window of cold and hammering it.

After what went on at Hunter after last years wipeout, you might expect H to be "gun shy" but I don't see it. They are true to form, making prudent decisions and going for it when they believe the time is right.

Jiminy is closed this week so I have no idea how much terrain they really have online, but I bet by Sunday night Hunter is competitive.
I'm totally with you, I respect the decisions that the GMs have to make.  Like you said, I would much rather them save their budget for more favorable temps, instead of wasting money now and being too conservative with snowmaking later in the season when it is needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by k123
i'll be there tomorrow..
i have a have a black helmet with a ton of resort stickers on it
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Today was nice the snow was starting to pile up a bit . Early tomorrow should be good