I love fixing stuff

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I love fixing stuff

ml242
Tonight I came home with a mountain of work to do, but heard the girlfriends laptop screeching on the couch. No big deal, I got a quick pdf take apart guide and had the thing in pieces in half an hour. Thought i snapped a little wire on the fan that's attached to the motherboard, but got lucky. Took apart the fan, regreased it. Now the thing is running cooler and spinning 2500 rpm's less.

No need for drinks or tv to unwind. Just some npr, fixing stuff, and then browsing the ski boards.

Awesome night.

Anyone else like fixing stuff? Sure beats getting a new laptop, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I love fixing stuff

Harvey
Administrator
I like fixing websites.

I certainly can't fix everything on them, but I can fix certain kinds of thing, and when I spot something I can fix, and I have the access to do so, I really enjoy it.

I've been working on the mad river glen site with a company in vt and that has been a ton of fun.  The funny thing about that is that when it goes live (any minute now, gulp) you probably won't notice a difference. The look is the same but the back end is all new, from the ground up.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
I like fixing websites.
Your country needs you.

I can't fix anything. If I took one screw out of my laptop, there's no guarantee that I would be able to put it back in without stripping it. I have no patience, no organization, no composure, no knowledge and no technical ability. I can't even follow directions very well.

Bike repairs are about as mechanically savvy as I get (and I can't do a lot of those, either). Once you add electronics or an engine to something, I just call someone else to do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
fixedheeln wore out the  hinges on the oven door,repaired them today. new hinges $35 each .went to lowes  $7 patio door roller wheel, both better than new. .fixed digs it, maybe fresh homemade cookies for gore sunday.i have a long list of fixes washer, dishwasher,...added up to new skiis for me
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
DackerDan wrote
I am a born tinkerer. When I was 10YO I would build balsa wood model airplanes, take them in the back yard and shoot them full of holes with a BB gun and then repair them. .... I still love building and inventing stuff but I have little tolerance for fixing stuff, been there - done that.
I probably should have been an engineer but I studied biology instead. As a kid, I tended the take things apart and then haphazardly put them back together. I had a collection of model cars that I would build, take apart and re-combine into different versions of themselves. Occasionally my friends and I would blow them up with firecrackers. Nowadays, I particularly enjoy cutting down trees (love the chainsaw) and building stuff out of random bits and pieces that are lying around the homestead. Most recent project was attempting to convert a baby jogger into a wood-hauling buggy. Currently working on version 3.0. Once I figure out how to attach a bike fork to the baby jogger, it should be good to go...
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
so much stoke in this thread!
Reply | Threaded
|

tatianaplata
In reply to this post by ml242
I have always been fascinated with how things worked. When I was in my early teens my family members and friends of the family would call me Macgyver. A few days ago I had a problem with the starter on my van. I am not at all the type that likes vehicles, but i did end up spending a good hour or so in fixing that. I do enjoy taking electronics apart and seeing how they work. I had to replace a piece of plastic piece on my cigarette roller yesterday. That wasn't exactly a world changing fix, but it still needed done.