I'm Spoiled

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I'm Spoiled

snoloco
As many of you know, I went out west this year over my winter break.  To say that the skiing was great would be an understatement.

The issue with that is when I came back east.  Mountain Creek is my home mountain, and while it is by no means a world class ski experience, it was an easy ski day that was close to home.  However, my enjoyment of it has gone downhill since it opened on Friday for the season.  I of course went, and quickly realized that what I do there isn't skiing, it's avoiding.

They always start with this one narrowish trail open at South which sometimes has park features and sometimes doesn't at opening.  It did this year.  Bear Peak (which has the race trail) was fully closed.  As a result, they thought it was a good idea to let dozens of high school racers train in the terrain park, which is extremely dangerous since they cut in front of every takeoff/landing.  Couple that with hundreds of overly excited snowboarders going way too fast for the conditions and their ability level, and it was one of the most dangerous days of skiing that I've ever experienced.  I got hit by one snowboarder who was completely out of control.  I was going pretty fast, but this guy plowed right into me.  I don't know how I managed to stay upright.  I immediately took the shuttle bus to North and over there, the experience was safer (I didn't fear for my life), but was still mediocre.  The flying garbage can lift is really annoying, and the only run was this flat green.  Took a bunch of runs there and left.  I will not be going to South again until they get another trail open.  I'm wondering how long my back will last having to remove my equipment every run to ride the flying garbage can lift.  If it wasn't just early season issues and it's really like this every day, I wonder of I'll actually enjoy skiing there anymore.

I hope it improves once they open more trails, because I really don't want my home mountain to be ruined forever.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I'm Spoiled

Thacheronix
snoloco wrote
I'm Spoiled
Truer words were ne'er spoken

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I can only make it through about three or four of your sentences anymore...  just saying.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
FUCK MOUNTAIN CREEK....

just sayin...
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I can only make it through about three or four of your sentences anymore...  just saying.
It helps if you read the full post so you know the story.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
less is more.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
snoloco wrote
I'm Spoiled
Truer words were ne'er spoken
This ^^^^^ is what I was going to say

That is all
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
ScottyJack wrote
It helps if you read the full post so you know the story.
Brevity is the soul of wit
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Come on guys.  I know many threads get off-topic, but at least make some effort to stay on-topic on the first page.  
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
less is more.
Bet your girl doesn't agree
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Man I love bustin' on Sno, but this one is pretty harsh.

Don't fault the kid for being honest!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
ScottyJack wrote
less is more.
Bet your girl doesn't agree

hahahahhahahhahha!  TNWSS
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Wow! You really served up a meatball there kid!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ok I'll drift back toward the original topic.

You skied out west and there was quiet snow right below the lift. Options:

• Keep doing what you are doing, maximizing ski days not quality
• Pick your days more carefully
• Start to appreciate and pursue BC and/or natural snow/tree skiing
• Move out west, as soon as you are able

Earning it takes many forms... hiking, flying, driving or maybe accepting lower wages and less long term "security" as defined by the masses. Just remember in most cases, the easier it is to get to, the more tracked out it is.

When all your friends are heading to grad school or into the workforce... get a job in waiting tables in a ski town.  My parents put the screws to me on that one and I didn't have the stones to fight them on it.

There are reasons people live in the East, live in the West, become ski bums or don't. Figure out what you want.  

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Enjoy every ski day for what it is.  The fact that you've skied at Steamboat doesn't for one second mean that you can't enjoy skiing Stowe or Gore or Mount Snow or Whiteface or Jay or even Hunter.  Now, Mountain Creek, that's a different matter.

But all kidding aside, Mountain Creek served its purpose.  It introduced you to a sport and enabled your passion.  Maybe you've outgrown it, and that's fine and good.  You're entering a new phase of your life that will carry you to different places and different pursuits.  Take what you've experienced and what you've learned, open your mind to new ideas and new experiences and see where it all leads...
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Never had a bad day or night at Great Gorge/Vernon Valley/Mt. Creek...what ever the heck you want to call it.

At the rate I'm going this season, the Creek may be the destination for making my first turns. If all goes well, I'll be at WF this weekend on a wing and a prayer.

"Feets fail me not"
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
snoloco wrote
 I immediately took the shuttle bus to North and over there, the experience was safer (I didn't fear for my life), but was still mediocre.
the place has 2 peaks? i thought it had 2 trails. my apologies
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Don't assume that the snow you experienced during your first trip out West is indicative of all Western snow.  It really is "hit or miss" anywhere you go.  If you went West the same time last year, I am sure your attitude would be much different.

I think the most important thing to remember (and not take for granted), is that you have a ski area within a close drive to you.  Many people drive hours for what you only drive a few minutes for.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
snoloco wrote
 I immediately took the shuttle bus to North and over there, the experience was safer (I didn't fear for my life), but was still mediocre.
the place has 2 peaks? i thought it had 2 trails. my apologies
It has 4 peaks, over 40 "trails", and 7 lifts.  It's not a small mountain.  It just gets way too many people for its size, and mostly marginal skiers who think they're better than they really are.  This is a function of their location, not any of their business practices.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You are no more spoiled than most of the rest of us. You are now at the second level of progression, you have played on the groomers and a little off piste out west. You now don't want to waist your time and money on marginal east coast mountains. If you live in the east you have to learn to ski in the east. I would not call you spoiled, I would call those Utah skiiers who won't bother skiing unless there is a foot of fresh spoiled. East coast skiers are a harty bunch, we have to be.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.