I went to Magic this morning to grab my pass..

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I went to Magic this morning to grab my pass..

Saratogahalfday
The new black chair looks great.  They did crush a water pipe when putting up the towers, so that needs to be replaced before they can blow snow.  Still looking/hoping for a Thanksgiving weekend opening.

There's also a new ski/consignment shop down at the entrance, nice to see a ski-centric business in the neighborhood.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I went to Magic this morning to grab my pass..

Brownski
Looking forward to getting back there soon. Thanksgiving weekend might be perfect
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Should be a great season.  2 summit lifts with the standard daily ticket cap still in place will mean no lifts lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
They won't raise the cap?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
I hope they don’t. The cap diminishes trail crowding as much as it does lift lines, right? I promise to drink two beers in the bar every time I visit.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I agree. I hope they don't either.  I'm pretty sure that the cap has been in place since the 60's.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Hopefully not.

My experience with a cap is in Utah.

Powder Mountain has not only a cap on day tickets, they also limit the number of season passes.  Empty slopes and no lift line is one reason to go there over the other options around SLC.

Deer Valley raised their cap several years ago, well before the sale to Alterra.  Still have one but only reach it during holiday periods.  Ikon passholders have to reserve a day ticket in advance to be sure.

Alta had cap at some point, but it's been quite a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Harvey
Per Geoff on the Storm Skiing podcast, the cap isn't changing this season (2500 tickets).  With the green, red, and black all running, lifts lines should be under 5 min on the busiest of days.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by marznc
If they do have a cap, they should raise it in light of the quad. This ownership group is improving Magic and if they are able to sell more tickets, there is a better chance they remain open. I doubt anybody would notice more people unless there was a perfect storm of a Thursday 20" blizzard that ends Friday morning on a 3 day weekend.

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
Per Geoff on the Storm Skiing podcast, the cap isn't changing this season (2500 tickets).  With the green, red, and black all running, lifts lines should be under 5 min on the busiest of days.
Any idea how many days the cap was reached last season?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
That is cool.

I've been to Magic 3 times, never felt the lines were bad.

I just wondered if owners or investors would expect more skier visits after the investment.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
I would expect that after the Black Chair is up and running for a while that they would increase the limit. That mountain can easily absorb all three chairs running full without crowding the slopes if they are close to 100% open.
From my experience, they had increased visits last year over previous years just from all of the press they are getting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
True, but you have to take into account the size of the base lodge, and parking lots.  To increase beyond 2500, they would have to expand those.