Icelanticskier caught in a slide (3/1/11)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Icelanticskier caught in a slide (3/1/11)

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This news is almost a week old, and many have probably seen it. Still I wanted to post a link.

Icelanticskier (also known as Rog) is a well known forum character on First Tracks, T4T and other places.  He's outspoken for sure, but also an excellent, and very adventurous skier.

He's skied Mt Washington hundreds of times in his lifetime, and for the first time was caught in a slide last Tuesday. His original post a was a little thin on details so I linked to a subsequent post by his ski partner Andy.  When you see the pictures... it was a serious event. It did sound like he did a great job keeping himself on the surface.  

I got choked up just reading it:

http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149253&postcount=14

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Icelanticskier caught in a slide (3/1/11)

x10003q
I read about this last week. I am happy he is ok. His skill and experience plus a good helping of luck saved him. This goes back to what I said in the rescue thread - even the best of us can get caught. This is why there should never be a charge for rescue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Somewhere in the many threads and posts about this incident, Icelanticskier told how they dug a pit on a nearby slope of similar aspect and conditions, concluding that the snowpack there was safe. He admits that his BIG mistake was assuming that their evaluation of the first slope would apply to the second one.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report