Improvements at Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Improvements at Gore

Milo Maltbie
I just got an e-mail from gore describing this summer's projects.  Along with the annual snowmaking improvements, and some indoor projects (including better wireless access, which is important to me), they've added a black diamond trail through Hudson glade. No mention of a replacement for the High Peaks chair.
Except for the wireless, doesn't sound like much of an improvement to me. At least season passes are the same price.

MM
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Improvements at Gore

PeeTex
Looks like they are also doing a marketing survey

Chicago rules, vote early - vote often.
I have not taken it nor do I intend to, but this may be your chance to suggest that Web Cam and Waffle shack.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
I'm pretty sure that the cutting of that new trail leaves the best tree skiing intact. Locals I know who've seen it, seem to thing the trail is a good addition.

Our post on the new trail:

http://nyskiblog.com/north-creek-ski-bowl-hudson-trail-reopens/

Regardless, keep in mind that everything we are skiing to skiers left of that new trail is private property.  If/when the development happens there will be four or five trails over there, all the originals. Good potential for glades in between those trails, but the plan is for trail development in the Bowl.

No High Peaks Chair this year.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
 If/when the development happens there will be four or five trails over there, all the originals.
So Dad, if/when those trails on private property get built >

A) ,,,, will they be open to the general public ?

B) ,,,, will they use Gore's snowmaking system ?

C) ,,,, will PT be working @ it's Waffle Hut ?  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Snowballs wrote
C) ,,,, will PT be working @ it's Waffle Hut ?
 That made my evening!
In a nut shell - NFW.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
PeeTex wrote
In a nut shell - NFW.
NFW - New Fella's Waffling !
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I completed the survey.  Gave them a 1 for terrain availability due to the need for more snowmaking.  Gave a 5 for terrain variety though.  I think they do have some of the best terrain variety out there.  I gave 3-4.5 on everything else.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
PeeTex wrote
In a nut shell - NFW.
NFW - New Fella's Waffling !
I'd provide customer service like this guy and there would be No Freakin Waffles

Maybe I would fit right in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Good one PT !
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Regardless, keep in mind that everything we are skiing to skiers left of that new trail is private property.  If/when the development happens there will be four or five trails over there, all the originals. Good potential for glades in between those trails, but the plan is for trail development in the Bowl.
Before any development happens at the bowl, it needs to be open consistently first.  From at least 12/26 to the last Sunday in March and open every day, not just weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I gave them a 5 for the speed of the north quad, the lack of stratton style ski-in ski-out condos and for pissing off snoloco. I gave them a 1, in advance, for the crappy customer service I'll get from Peetex at the waffle hut.

Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
I also gave the "How well do you think Gore is doing pissing off Sno" a 5.  Also, Sno, you missed the picture of the new HP chair in the background picture.  Pretty awesome brand new double fixed.  Went in the last day of last season, just fast enough to get a pic of this guy carving some killer cord under it.    
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
That picture was of the Little Whiteface Double, not any current or future lift at Gore.  I didn't say anything about the speed of the North Quad because while I'd upgrade that to high speed, replace the High Peaks Chair, and upgrade snowmaking all in the same season if I could, I'd order the priorities this way if I could only do one each year:  More snowmaking at Ski Bowl, High Peaks Chair, High Speed North Quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I see you have come over to the "dark side" (lower case) ... snowmaking on 46er before Abanaki.

Plus a bold prediction... "the LWF double will never end up at Gore."
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I NEVER said that there should be snowmaking on 46er before Abenaki is cut.  I was only talking about the three improvements I had listed.  I'd be doing all the trail upgrades the same year and then do 1 lift per year after that.

My reasoning is that if you cut trail and build a lift with no snowmaking, most, if not all the time, there will be no snow (rendering the trail useless), and because there is no trail off the lift you put in, that will render the lift useless as well.  In the case of the High Peaks Chair, they should upgrade snowmaking first because if the lift craps out, you've got a useless lift, but only a semi useless trail (since die hard's can still hike it and have it to themselves).  Granted the High Peaks Chair and the Ski Bowl are different sections, but if the High Peaks Chair dies for good, die hard's can still hike to the terrain or take the long, 3 lift journey down and around to access it.  You've got a useless broken lift, but only semi useless trais.  If there is no snowmaking upgrades at the Ski Bowl, the trails will have no snow, and a lift that can operate will be rendered useless which means a useless lift and completely useless trails.

Really, you need both lifts and snowmaking at the same time.  The owner of Okemo knows the drill on this.  If only the terrain at his mountain wasn't so repetitive.

“We have always put the guest experience first,” said Okemo Mountain Resort Owner Tim Mueller. “State-of-the-art lifts and snowmaking are the heart of the skiing experience.”
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That hike would be sweet on a pow day. Looks pretty short and you would have a nice semi private reserve.

You should get into mountain biking Loco, it's just like skiing except for powder skiing (nothing tops that stuff), and you don't have to rely on ma nature or be on crappy man made snow. I seriously can't imagine buying expensive day tickets to go ski on man made ice snow. F-that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
Sno, you know Gore has a budget right? The AE II cost a ton of money. Often times the bowl opens on all natural snow. But also keep in mind the demographic of skiers at Gore. It is far as hell from the base lodge and a bit of difficultly to get to for any non-intermediate+ skier, and yes, marketing is encouraging skiers to park and ski out of the ski bowl but it is not as practical. 50% of the trails at the ski bowl have snowmaking and after this summer it will be 75%-100%. Gore's snowmaking system is one of the largest and most extensive on the east coast with only a handful of trails without snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by snoloco
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"