classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

In Maine - if you haven't been, its coast will seduce you

Skiray
This post was updated on .
It has been a while since we have posted anything on the NYSkiBlog. Truth is, so many of you we have met and have become friends due to Harvey and this site. Thank you for allowing us to be part of this fun and diverse community.

We hope that if you like our latest, all we ask is for a huge "Thumbs Up" on Youtube. Without further ado, we bring you our latest "In Maine"

As some of you know, Maine is a big part of our lives and where our hearts and minds have been for many years. We summer and at times have wintered there, longing to be there. If you have never been to Maine, when you go, its coastline and beauty will seduce you.

If there is one place you want to be
It’s where your senses will be filled.
A place where you have a connection
Where you belong.

Not just a place to visit,
but a place to reflect and to create a lifetime of memories.

Hearing the waves crash and feeling the sun beat down
You will be overwhelmed by Maine’s beauty.

It’s a place to stop and smell the flowers.

And to embrace life’s precious moments
and it’s fragility.

Where at sea you have guides.

And as the tides change,

You will sail together.

And your bonds will be made

It’s all you need.

Where the mornings embrace you,

as these are the ones to cherish.

And this energy, will flourish within you

Its coastline will replenish your soul.

This is Summer in Maine.

#scenicmaine #maineinvitesyou #summerinmaine #wheninmaine #worthavisitworthalifetime #hikemaine #visitmaine #getyourmaineon #thewaylifeshouldbe #igersmaine #portlandmaine #DJI #NIKON

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: In Maine - if you haven't been, its coast will seduce you

Brownski
Nice job as always Ray. I recently tried playing around with IMovie a bit to edit some of the footage I have of the boys but I haven’t really figured it out yet. I think you need to give us a how-to thread up at some point
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Thank you BrownSki

Just come over for dinner..

We graduated to Final CutX...  I can show how to use iMovie...

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Skiray wrote
Thank you BrownSki

Just come over for dinner..

We graduated to Final CutX...  I can show how to use iMovie...
Thanks
Maybe meet up at Starbucks. Otherwise we’ll have to wait til the boys are done with college, the way things are going lately
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Thanks to an aunt who lives there, I know the area quite well.  It's strange when you hit "pots" (lobster trap buoys) when sailing around the Calendar Islands.

SkiRay, have you looked into buying a lighthouse?  A few years back they were "surplus" items (or some such terminology).
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
D.B. Cooper wrote
Thanks to an aunt who lives there, I know the area quite well.  It's strange when you hgit "pots" (lobster trap buoys) when sailing around the Calendar Islands.

SkiRay, have you looked into buying a lighthouse?  A few years back they were "surplus" items (or some such terminology).

Oh man, we need to hang out then.  We will probably not be back in the area until late fall or in the Winter to ski.. Though if we move there by then - all the better!

We have come close to hitting pots though never caught one.

Funny you mention that about Lighthouses...  They do have a few for sale though bargain is relative . .Compared to NYC prices.. Yes.

Speaking of this story - I have to say it was the hardest one for us to edit to date. We shot weeks worth of video - though thought, lets make it short and meaningful - to us..  Editing is hard to do.  We learned this afternoon that Maine Tourism Association has shared it on their social media.  

https://www.facebook.com/mainetourismassociation/

Thanks for pushing us here to get better at making these videos. We still have a boatload to learn..

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Skiray
Ray that is very pretty. I can see why Maine Tourism shared it.  I like the sailboat where the skier normally goes too.
Was Sandro operating the drone in that one walking shot?

How did you guys get started in Maine?  Years ago I was looking for a place to go on vacation and the two big green spots on the map were Maine and the Adirondacks.  I picked the Adirondacks because it was closer, and it became my place.

One thing... if you want the video to be responsive to all size devices, wrap it with this 'embed-container' code:

<div class='embed-container'><iframe XXX></iframe></div>

It won't be centered, but you can see the full screen on mobile.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Harvey wrote
Ray that is very pretty.
>>> Thanks Harvey. Maine is an easy place to shoot. It was really killing us how much footage we left out -though we knew we had to do it.

I can see why Maine Tourism shared it.  I like the sailboat where the skier normally goes too. --
>>> So many skiers are sailors - the kids are pretty good ..  Sailing is a great family activity too.

Was Sandro operating the drone in that one walking shot?
>>> Yes, he was operating the drone there. Funny, we all shot with the drone for this video.. Alicia, Nevada, Sandro and Me.

How did you guys get started in Maine?
>>> I have been going to Maine since I was teenager and fell in love with the place. When Alicia and I met 28 years ago, I took her there, she fell in love with the place. 3 years later we would elope there and have been going there pretty much ever since for summer and at times Winter. We were hoping to move there this summer though we failed to make that happen.

Years ago I was looking for a place to go on vacation and the two big green spots on the map were Maine and the Adirondacks.  I picked the Adirondacks because it was closer, and it became my place.

>>> We love the ADK too and after spending time there this summer and shooting Dis-Lodge (not sure if we posted that here) we were floored how beautiful it is.  Though at the end of the day, the ocean has such a pull on it, I don't think we can never not be by the sea.  Maine sort of has it all.

One thing... if you want the video to be responsive to all size devices, wrap it with this 'embed-container' code:

>>>Thank you for the tip!

<div class='embed-container'><iframe XXX></iframe></div>

It won't be centered, but you can see the full screen on mobile.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I've spent a bit of time in some of the most beautiful places in the country and I have to admit, the coast of Maine is right there with anywhere.

Cool vid Ray. You would freak out working on shots here in NAZ. The visuals are nutty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
raisingarizona wrote
I've spent a bit of time in some of the most beautiful places in the country and I have to admit, the coast of Maine is right there with anywhere.

Cool vid Ray. You would freak out working on shots here in NAZ. The visuals are nutty.
Thanks RaisingArizona.. We just can't wait to be in Maine.  

We will be waiting for you shots and you know how much I love your work.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ray, if not too personal...

Are you going to keep your job and work from home, fly out of wherever? Or looking for a new job?

Where do you go in Maine? How long is the drive from NYC?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
Ray, if not too personal...

>>> That's my problem, I think even RaisingArizona has even said TMI to me ha...

Are you going to keep your job and work from home, fly out of wherever? Or looking for a new job?
>>> I already work remotely so, in theory nothing should change.

Where do you go in Maine? How long is the drive from NYC?

>>> This depends greatly as there are so many great places that we love in Maine, even as you cross the state line at Plymouth, NH (which is beautiful and has rich maritime history) into Maine, the town Kittery is just so nice. .

We typically go to the Portland area, or just South and sometimes just North of there.  This summer Alicia camped out for more than a month - though car camping, there were about 9 or 10 days of sort of primitive car camping.

We love the Portland area as you have a mix of city life and outdoors which is hard to match in other cities. The only other place we can think of would be Burlington, VT.

If you like beaches, you have some prime ones from Kennebunk up to Georgetown.

I think Alicia aka SuperSkiMom is doing a write up of places - so when she has that ready I am sure she will post more here.

The drive to Southern Maine is about 5 hours on a good day, 8 hours on a bad day usually most of that traffic once 495 merges in 95 in NH for what I call the 11 miles of hell. You hit it right, smooth sailing, if not, you can be stuck for hours.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Been going to Maine coast almost every summer / fall  for four decades . We do an early summer stint on THE.CAPE and a late summer early fall ( after Labor day ) gig in Maine

Our fav on the southern Maine coast is the territory  between the  NH border and up as far as Biddeford Pool . The beachs are spectacular , the ambiance laid back and the the seafood is great l Our fav is Goose Rocks beach a small area just north of Kennebunkport , a close second is the "back road " coast between Ogunquit ( love The Marginal Way ) and York beach .

Best of luck with your Plan B. Ray !,👍🏻
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
One thing I remember about the Maine coast was that it was possibly the coldest cold I've ever felt! It was December but that wet wind blowing in from the ocean cut right to the bone. the crazy thing to me was seeing people out surfing!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We like Maine as well but what a PIA to get to from here in CNY.  We spent a week in Bar Harbor last year and I'll say that Acadia National Park is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and we were only at the park for a day. If we ever go back thee I could easily spend an entire week in the park. The beach in there is spectacular.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
campgottagopee wrote
We like Maine as well but what a PIA to get to from here in CNY.  We spent a week in Bar Harbor last year and I'll say that Acadia National Park is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and we were only at the park for a day. If we ever go back thee I could easily spend an entire week in the park. The beach in there is spectacular.
+1

Just spent a long weekend in Bar Harbor and Acadia in early Sept after dropping off my daughter at school near Boston.  Worth the extra driving to get back to NC.  Last time my husband and were there was in 1994.  We got lucky and had perfect fall weather for a long weekend.  Ate plenty of lobster, including two lunches as we made our way south. ;-)
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

Thanks RA!

Its for sure pretty - and winters COLD..

From your shots and video!  I am sure of it!

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Been going to Maine coast almost every summer / fall  for four decades . We do an early summer stint on THE.CAPE and a late summer early fall ( after Labor day ) gig in Maine

Our fav on the southern Maine coast is the territory  between the  NH border and up as far as Biddeford Pool . The beachs are spectacular , the ambiance laid back and the the seafood is great l Our fav is Goose Rocks beach a small area just north of Kennebunkport , a close second is the "back road " coast between Ogunquit ( love The Marginal Way ) and York beach .

Best of luck with your Plan B. Ray !,👍🏻
Thank you Warp.  To think we were so close to you this summer.  We hope to be back up that way before winter.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Oh I am sure of it. From NYC it can too be a PIA though with traffic in the high season - in both directions too. It took us 8 hours to get up there from the city just a few weeks ago.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Maine is pretty awesome. I need more ski days there.  I only have one a very long time ago in some pretty dismal weather.

We spent 5-6 days in York at the end of August.  The wife and I hadn't been to the coast of Maine in over 25 years.  (We loved it so much back then that we went 2 years in a row, all the way to Acadia, while exploring the coast on the way).   It is quite stunning and like Ray said, offers a whole bagful of fun in many different ways.  

How long is the drive from the Southern Maine coast up to the the 'loaf?