classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Indy Tour MLK weekend 1-19-2020

Brownski
This post was updated on .
So I think I mentioned someplace that Junior was intent on skiing with his friends at Mountain Creek today. When I agreed to that, I somehow didn’t realize the ripple effects it would cause. A certain person started asking questions about the drive times between Mountain Creek and the various resorts I was contemplating spending time at. What it boiled down to was MC, Shawnee or something even smaller, Mount Peter even?  Since I had another Shawnee Day on the Indy Pass, the choice was obvious. At least I could use the singles line to get my laps in and if it sucked, it was just gas money.

As expected, it was somewhat crowded.

Honestly the pics don’t even do it justice. The place was packed. On the other hand, these guys are clearly pros. They had all the lifts up and running. The lifties did a great job of filling chairs on the quads and they’d clearly made a SHIT TON of snow in the couple of days of sub-freezing weather they had last week. In fact the skiing surface was excellent all things considered. There were some scraped off patches here and there but I could always find some soft spots to turn on. The Shawnee folks deserve credit.

The lodge was similarly packed. Luckily I didn’t really need the lodge for anything today.

It was not combat skiing or anything, no thrown elbows, but it was definitely crowded with a high percentage of beginners and first-timers. I don’t think I took a single run that didn’t feature somebody walking down the hill with their equipment under their arm.

I thought this was kind of sweet. This dude was making his way down, skis in hand when his girl went sailing past him, right off the trail, and went down on a thin spot in some grass.

He detoured over to help her up even though he had his own issues to deal with.

This guy is a keeper.

I made my way around to the different chairs so I could explore everything. The lines on the fixed grips weren’t all that bad and the detach quad had a singles line so I really didn’t spend much time standing around.

More carnage

Haven’t figured out what this guys role is exactly

At some point I saw this and snapped a pic so I could do a little research later.

I found his obit. Suffice it to say he’s a lot cooler then me. Apart from his role in the ski industry in the Midwest and Northeast, he flew 93 missions off of the USS Hancock as a navigator in WW2. That is some serious shit right there. Thank God for guys like Jim Trepp.

Anyway, it was worth the drive over to get in some skiing. There was a lot more open then the first time I came. I like exploring these places.

It didn’t suck.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Indy Tour MLK weekend 1-19-2020

Jamesdeluxe
Shawnee is the closest ski area to us. Fine for family skiing. As you said, pretty impressive that they had an acceptable product after the snow-unfriendly weather we've been having this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by Brownski
Awesome report
I always liked Catamount and I need to go back to magic
It's very nice family tradition for u and your sons
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Good report, Brownski, incl. pictures of the double double.  The slope security guy must have given you comfort.

There always seems to be one guy who wears a hockey jersey skiing.
Brownski wrote
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Shawnee motto - "Home of the Backwards Snowplow!"
Man - twice in one season. You deserve credit. I went to Shawnee once back in 1980 and vowed never to go back.
Thanks for the reminder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
x10003q wrote
Man - twice in one season. You deserve credit.
Thanks for the reminder.
NP- it’s a service I provide.

Now if I could just get junior to post his Mountain Creek TR, we could see some real chaos.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Awesome.

Double double FTW!

Love the carnage shot.

I can't believe you photo documented a heartwarming mutual yardsale, amazing.

More of this, please.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Why isn't Shawnee in the subject line of the TR? Wave your PA flag proudly! I've actually had legit powder days (OK, nights) at Camelback -- nothing like skiing untracked through rhododendrons.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I guess I was intending to have Harv merge it into my general Indy Tour thread but I got sidetracked. I can add Shawnee to the title if that would make it better.