10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Innsbrook USA/Aqua Terra Conditions

Glade Runner
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Hit Aqua Terra for 3 more runs today.  Snow quality is still really good and few tracks there.  Hearing it is going to ice/crust up here on the Saturday storm so trying to ride as much of this fresh pow as I can before that happens.  Will be back tomorrow to do my part in riding it up for day 3 in a row at the place.  Here's some pics from the hike up today.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Innsbrook USA/Aqua Terra Conditions

Glade Runner
Banned User
Went back to Aqua Terra today.  Still lots of fresh tracks to be had.  Was able to explore some new areas to the mountain this time.  Completed my 10th run total here over 4 days.  Hit a few rock drops shown in the first few pictures and rehiked to hit them again.  

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Awesome effort Glade Runner.  I hiked Innsbrook several times when I lived in Susquehanna PA (2004 to 2010).  At the time I was primarily riding a snowboard, and planned at some point to come back with my snowshoes and check it out when there was good snow.  Unfortunately, I never had the time or the good snow.  There were a couple of good snow years during that period, but not nearly what you guys are seeing this year.

Seems like you enjoy earning turns... at some point, you should invest in an AT rig or a splitboard.  I am currently riding an Arbor Abacus.  It rides as if it were never split in two... in my opinion, the best splitty currently on the market.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
nepa wrote
Awesome effort Glade Runner.  I hiked Innsbrook several times when I lived in Susquehanna PA (2004 to 2010).  At the time I was primarily riding a snowboard, and planned at some point to come back with my snowshoes and check it out when there was good snow.  Unfortunately, I never had the time or the good snow.  There were a couple of good snow years during that period, but not nearly what you guys are seeing this year.

Seems like you enjoy earning turns... at some point, you should invest in an AT rig or a splitboard.  I am currently riding an Arbor Abacus.  It rides as if it were never split in two... in my opinion, the best splitty currently on the market.
Thanks for the positive response.  That is my buddy that is a snowboarder.  I have been boarding at Greek but, I'm primarily a skier.  I've been skiing Aqua Terra.  What is AT rig?  Is that a touring setup?  I have been thinking about that but, the cost seems to keep me out of it for the moment.  My buddy has some snow shoes he let me try for a hike up.  They fit my ski boots and worked really well.  I'm thinking that might be the way to go for me because I'm still primarily a lift served skier.  This is the first year I went after it hiking and it is definitely harder hiking in ski boots.  It did give me an excuse to break out the poles again.  After carrying my skis in my hands the first day here I have switched to putting them on a pack which has helped a lot.  There is one easier trail that is now pretty packed in for hiking up.  I have tried hiking straight up the center which is steep and a couple other areas.  The untracked is too hard to hike for me without snowshoes.  I'm sinking past my knees.  The hike straight up isn't so bad because there are solid boot marks imprinted.  
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Glade Runner wrote
What is AT rig?  Is that a touring setup?
You got it.  AT = Alpine Touring.  Believe it or not, going up hill is much more enjoyable with the skis on your feet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Oh I believe it.  One day a guy was skinning up behind us and eventually caught up and passed us.  I do have some questions.  Do you need separate touring boots or will regular boots work with touring bindings?  Or even if you can you might not want to right because of weight?  What would you guess a setup, skis/touring bindings/boots/skins run?  I was guessing well over $1500.  I've been interested in it and seeing more and more people on them in the last few years but, personally don't know anyone to get the information from that does it.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
Glade Runner wrote
Do you need separate touring boots or will regular boots work with touring bindings?  Or even if you can you might not want to right because of weight?
It depends on the binding.  To keep it low cost, I would not go with a binding that requires an AT boot.

Glade Runner wrote
What would you guess a setup, skis/touring bindings/boots/skins run?
I bought a setup 3 years ago.  All closeouts on Sierra Trading Post, boots, bindings, skis, and skins for about a grand.  Keep an eye on STP... some of their closeouts on snow gear are phenomenal.  Closeouts are a double edge sword... when you buy at closeout prices you rarely get exactly what you are looking for.  For me, it was a good compromise.

For now, I would just buy bindings and skins.  It the lowest risk option.  If you end up doing some longer tours, and decide you would rather ride the lifts, then you have not lost anything.  Those bindings will work just as well for you when you are riding the lifts.  

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
this site was recommended to me by someone in the blog. they have used gear
http://www.telemarkski.com/at_c1138.htm
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
 Do you need separate touring boots or will regular boots work with touring bindings?  Or even if you can you might not want to right because of weight?  What would you guess a setup, skis/touring bindings/boots/skins run?  I was guessing well over $1500.  
Your estimate is in the ball park. A good AT boot will double as a hard shell hiking boot. The best are super light and have a good walk mode. AT tech bindings are also light weight. If you are climbing, weight matters.
If you are going in the BC you need more than some skis, boots and bindings. Talk a mountaineering course and if you plan on hiking terrain over 25 degree pitch, take an Avi course.

If you want more information, visit the Mountaineer in Keene Valley.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Aqua Terra still going strong.  Taken on 4-1-15.