20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Internet collaborations

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Anyone ever done something like this on a large scale?  Like a real project (I got the idea to share from Ray's ski video comments)?

The internet is an amazing thing.

Maybe I'll look for some other stuff to add later, but me and a guy in Minnesota designed and built this 200W, all tube bass amp over the internet.  We both used to post on a forum that was related to building guitar amps and no one had really taken on anything of this magnitude.

I did all the design, analysis, simulation etc (the engineering) and he built the thing (he had a customer who wanted whatever we could create).  He also had to do all the debugging and modifications after we got it into the real world.  We did all that stuff remotely because I couldn't fly or drive to MN for a project that was just for fun (he was maybe breaking even on the build cost).  I had designed and built all types of antique electronics before, but this was a significant challenge - and EXTREMELY dangerous.  This amp was running close to 600V DC (just look at that IRON on the top).

As I remember, we (he) built this twice.  Once as proto, then we got it working and sounding how we wanted, then he tore that all down and rebuilt it in a nice, clean, custom chassis.  We did around 20 revisions before the final product.

I got sound clips in the end and it's being used for gigs now.  I'm assured it is friggin' loud.

We did a few other projects like this later on, both were guitar amps and much lower wattage.  One 5W combo with reverb, one 20W high gain amp with a tube driven FX loop.  Both were super fun, but much easier than the bass amp.

I still keep in touch with this guy and we've never met in person, probably never will.

Anyone else ever use the wonder of being able to communicate over vast distances with strangers to create something cool?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Internet collaborations

Sick Bird Rider
That is a cool collaboration, Stunts. How were you collaborating (as in by email, Google Docs, etc.)?

I use Google Docs frequently to collaborate with work colleagues in different locations. Saves tons of time when editing documents, since everyone can work on the same document at the same time, make comments, etc.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
All by email with jpegs and pdfs.  I don't think Google docs were a thing at the time.

We also did skype and phone chats.  That was more when we were in the debug phase and shit was all messed up - actually, everything looked good, but something was wrong.  Don't remember what, but it took us a while to figure out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User

This was the proto pre-wiring.  Boards had been built.  You can see the chassis is cobbled together out of plywood and sheet metal.

That was the custom made chassis for the final product.

s

That was one of the layouts for the proto.  It looks like we changed some stuff for the final product.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User

The 20W lead amp we did.  That thing came out killer.  Sounded amazeballs too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Wow. That's impressive. "Amazeballs" is funny too.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
That looks sweet.  I'm inspired.  I have been noodling on my six string for about 15 years... hopefully, some day I'll actually learn how to play... then, I'll give something like that a shot.  Are you a bassist?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
It's fun NEPA.  Give me a holler if you get serious about building anything.  I can give you more info than you'd ever want.

I'm not a bassist per se but I do play the bass once in a while.  I'm a 6 stringer mainly.  If you can play one, you can probably fake the other a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
This is some cool stuff..I replaced a toilet the other day, I thought I was hot shit..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
JasonWx wrote
This some cool stuff..I replaced a toilet the other day, I thought I was hot shit..
Haha - I've done that.  Not as fun.  Kind of a shitty job actually
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Cunningstunts wrote
s
The best use of PowerPoint I've ever seen.  That, in itself, is impressive.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Cunningstunts wrote
 and EXTREMELY dangerous.  This amp was running close to 600V DC (just look at that IRON on the top).
Yikes!  I got zapped with -45V DC while working on a phone line when a phone call came in.  Hurt like an s.o.b.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
D.B. Cooper wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
 and EXTREMELY dangerous.  This amp was running close to 600V DC (just look at that IRON on the top).
Yikes!  I got zapped with -45V DC while working on a phone line when a phone call came in.  Hurt like an s.o.b.
I got hit with 300 or so working on an amp.  I shot out of my chair in a full body convulsion.  It literally felt like getting kicked by a mule or horse.  Burned a hole right through the tip of my finger where it arced.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
The best use of PowerPoint I've ever seen.  That, in itself, is impressive.
Thanks.

The process is pretty simple - do a lot of concept development and analysis and come up with something like this:

Then translate that to a scale layout (Autocad is really nice for this, but expensive.  PPT is cheap and everywhere):

I actually use the scale board as a template and tape it over the actually board, punch the holes then drill it out on a drill press and install turrets.  Then gets populated with components.

Make a front panel design and have it laser etched:

Then drill the chassis using the layout and front panel.

Wire it up, test and tweak until it's done:

Then make a cab or whatever.  That one I just gave the guy the chassis and he made his own cabinet.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
DO you ever do any work with Arduino or Raspberry PI?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
nepa wrote
No, I have not.  I've only really worked with audio circuitry and all tube-based (antique).  This was/is just a hobby.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User

I actually made that schematic in power point as well!  I scanned in an old, hand drawn Fender schematic, then clipped the components I wanted to change and pasted them over in layers.  I printed it out, annotated it by hand, then re-scanned it.

No idea why.  Just seemed like the right way to do this amp.

That's what it looks like wired in real life.  I built that for some guy in Michigan?  Can't recall, but he was super picky and it took me a long time to get it exactly how he wanted it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NYSB is my internet collaboration. Thanks to those who have supported my efforts by making others feel comfortable here.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
Hey NEPA, were you going anywhere with this?

I looked those two things up and I haven't used either, but I used something similar - basic STAMP, in college.

I've also built a number of logic and memory circuits, but it was mostly academic.  My programming is pretty limited to stuff that involves solving physics problems with things like Fortran, C++, Visual Basic, Matlab, etc...