classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
103 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Interview with Greek Peak Round 3

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Now that's some quality spam right there.

Maybe that's what Greek Peak needs, some cute girls in strappy sandals?
Maybe they are trying to attract more Hinterlandians? Not being absolutely fluent, like our pal MadPat, and it being too early in the morning to slowly translate French in my head, I ran that text through the Google translator. It is all about what to prepare for a wedding buffet. Very bizarre.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

Maybe that's what Greek Peak needs, some cute girls in strappy sandals?

Dude, we've got 'em
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
local newspaper had large ad in classifieds for GP looking for happy faces to work there...clerks, housekeeping, restaurant.
Was over there the other night. Big Chamber meeting with folks from local college, bank, etc. and the new owners too. Looked busy at the hotel too, lots of families with their kids. Noticed still some window air conditioners in some of the rooms. parking lot was busy too. This weekend is the Hare Scramble but those folks don't stay at the hotel. They all bring their RV's and tents.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
They are running another Groupon sale, with over 1,000 packages already sold.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

Maybe that's what Greek Peak needs, more cute girls in strappy sandals?

Dude, we've got 'em
Got to get there this season for sure.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

Maybe that's what Greek Peak needs, more cute girls in strappy sandals?

Dude, we've got 'em
Got to get there this season for sure.
You'll have a blast!!!

Wicked cool scene over the weekend...hundreds and hundreds of families there for the race...was great to see.

haven't seen the parking lot that full since the bus trips in the 80's---nice job GP
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Great to hear the place was hopping!
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
On WBNG TV news this morning, the two new owners were at the first meeting on Thurs. night of the Triple Cities Ski Club. But my complaint is that WBNG TV stated "Greek Peak is installing a HIGH SPEED QUAD chairlift". Well, most people will assume that it is really a High Speed Quad or a DETACHABLE. When in fact it is a higher speed FIXED GRIP QUAD with conveyor loading. Just saying some people will think it is false hype because although a high speed fixed grip is faster than a standard fixed grip lift it is nowhere near as fast as a high speed detachable. Personally I am thrilled about the new lift, but am concerned about all the complainers who may be conned into thinking it's a detachable and feel mislead when they find out it is something else. Bottom line, I figure a High speed detachable would take about 3 minutes to take riders to the top of Greek... while the lift being built will take maybe just under 7 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Compared to 1A, it will be a high-speed quad. I get your point though, definitely misleading. Have you ever ridden a conveyor lift Big D? The first one I rode was at Santa Fe, the only other was Sugarloaf's new chair. Can't wait to ride this one!
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Wouldn't worry about that Big D.  I suspect most people who will ride it have never seen a conveyor loaded lift, so they'll think it's pretty awesome and won't be concerned - or maybe even notice - that it's not as fast as a detachable.

I think my daughter told me yesterday she read or heard their are targeting Dec 15 to open this year - anyone confirm that?  I know in the past they've opened earlier than that - sometimes only to have to close down after the first few days due to weather.

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Also mentioned that $500,000 is going into the new  bar/deck and it was going to be named Tracks.

"Also new this year, Tracks Pub & Grill, a restaurant will open its doors for the first time in the winter"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Tracks, i dig it

follow my tracks
where do those tracks go
who's tracks are those
look at THOSE tracks
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
I'm thinkin Mountain Bike "Tracks". Like lift served, downhill MB on weekends. You all can eat my dust

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Yes, December 15th is the targeted opening date.

There definitely does seem to be confusion regarding a fixed grip and detachable quads.  I agree with Big D. that there may be some disappointed customers anticipating a true high speed detachable quad.  Rope speeds on the fixed quad, even with conveyors, run about three meters per second versus five meters per second on a detachable.  The owners have used the words "high speed" far too often.

In terms of the conveyor, I have been on a number of them.  The closest one I've been on is at Okemo.  They definitely take some getting used to, as I saw people flounder while loading them, but they will likely run them at a slower speed initially.

The name of the Orion's replacement is Trax.  It was initially scheduled to open in November and be open year round.  However, with the base area flood damage, the deck may be put on hold for now.  Discussions still ensue regarding the deck, so to be continued.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Hmmmm trax..... I like mine fresh yo!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
 I agree with Big D. that there may be some disappointed customers anticipating a true high speed detachable quad.  
Really? Who is basing their decision to go there based on a lift that's going to take 3-4 minutes versus 7-8. The person who is going to get bent on getting up 900' a couple minutes quicker has issues
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
skimore wrote
Rj1972 wrote
 I agree with Big D. that there may be some disappointed customers anticipating a true high speed detachable quad.  
Really? Who is basing their decision to go there based on a lift that's going to take 3-4 minutes versus 7-8. The person who is going to get bent on getting up 900' a couple minutes quicker has issues
+1

Can't see anyone complaining about anything new at GP

I'll take chair 1 anytime----let the masses have that fancy new contraption
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
Hmmmm trax..... I like mine fresh yo!

WORD

You better get up early iffin your gonna get first on sunday tho---that chair is already full
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I'm with you, Camp, regarding chair 1.  Plus, chair 1 doesn't require me to haul my lazy butt uphill to get to the Odyssey.  

I never thought that GP needed a detachable, but there will always be a few grumps out there expecting one, given the "high speed" terminology the owners are using. If you recall, GP had mentioned a HSDQ for a number of years going from the base to the area above the Trojan (replacing chair 4).  Some hills much smaller that  GP have detachables, and the slopes turn into a crowded and scraped mess.  Have you ever skied Boyne or Camelback on the weekends?  What an unpleasant experience that is!

The owners are now saying that they have/will spent $4M in upgrades this year.  I haven't heard what the additional $1m is attributed to.  Maybe the flood damage.  I know they have a $50K insurance deductible, and the repair of the snowmaking pond was not included on their rider, so that's coming out of their pockets.

Let's hope for a snowy and prosperous winter.  They are calling for a chance of snow in Keystone, CO tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
When we interviewed the owners my only real comment to Marc and John was that using the phrase "high speed lift" could open then to some criticism.  They didn't really want to go with "higher speed lift" or "improved uphill speed" or whatever.

These guys have accomplished a ton in life by doing what they think makes the most sense and they don't seem to sweat the naysayers.  One of them said something like "I think we've got a pretty solid project list for year one."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp