Is Paid Parking A Success At Gore?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is Paid Parking A Success At Gore?

Goreskimom
I have to admit that I was completely against Paid Parking.  I thought it violated the spirit of Gore.  I took great satisfaction when I saw the lot empty during the first winter.  But here is the thing: the lot has been close to full on random non-holiday weekends.  I have to say that while I do not like it, but maybe it has been a "success" in terms of generating money for the mountain?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Is Paid Parking A Success At Gore?

adkskier
One might wonder a) how many of those parked in the paud lot actually paid and b) how profitable is it after accounting for all the required labor?
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
adkskier wrote
One might wonder a) how many of those parked in the paud lot actually paid and b) how profitable is it after accounting for all the required labor?
My guess is that Gore mtn. as state enterprise does not really do any accounting on that part and probably could not figure it out if they wanted to ... too much math, too little education.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I was one of those vocal opponents of paid parking as well.  I didn't get one of the stickers, but I posted comments on facebook and skiadk in opposition and let a few people at the mountain know how I felt.  Trust me when I say those people do not forget such comments!  After two seasons I have to admit I have used it twice on super busy weekends when we got to the mountain late with a toddler and a full car of people.  I made the people that were staying with us pay (since they made us late:) and appreciated the fact that I didn't have to drop everyone and park halfway down the access road.  I don't use it much, but when I do it is nice.

We rent our place out about half of the weekends during the season and our renters have given the paid parking rave reviews.  They love it.  For the same reason - when they get their carload of kids/friends up to the mountain at 10AM they can all chip in and park close to the mountain.  Those people only get maybe 3-5 days in a season and the paid parking makes a better experience for them.  They have already sunk a bunch of money into lift tickets, lodging, food, rentals, etc. so 10 bucks a day isn't much.  It may not have been the mountain's intention, but those people see it as a nice added bonus to be able to pay for a close spot.

I am not sure if it makes any money for the mountain, but anything that keeps people coming back is good in my book.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
i heard from the janitor that last year they made over $50,000 on paid parking...
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
The janitor heard from Jimmy:)
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Condor
Condor wrote
i heard from the janitor that last year they made over $50,000 on paid parking...
Janitors are doubling up as accountants in these austere times?

He must be the same guy spreading the rumor that Gore makes a profit.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I use it when I am running late and at 10 bucks its not a bad deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I remember when it was first purposed all you Gore guys got worked into a lather.  Sometimes you just have to give things a chance to work out. 50k is a nice piece of change that can be used for good things.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
yesterday WF had a $5 parking charge and 8 cars in the lot so they paid the attendent more then they brought in - not a brillant business decision on orda's part
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.