Is skiing sexist?

Marcski
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is skiing sexist?

Z
I don't think so but they do have decidedly different motivations they give for taking lessons.  From my perspective of teaching skiing for almost 30 years women are more likely to take lessons to improve and enjoy the sport more.  They are definitely more safety aware compared to men in their skiing.  Mom's are the driving force to put their kids into ski school as well.

Repeated motivations I hear for adult women to take lessons is to feel more in control and safe while skiing and to get better so they can enjoy their time more skiing with their families.

Adult Men's motivations will be more related to being less fatigued at the end of the day so they can ski more or particular technical challenges like skiing bumps, carving, steeps, trees better.

20's something's of both genders will say they want to be able to keep up with their better skiing friends as the main motivation for learning to get better.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

HGTVfan
I don't think it is.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
HGTVfan wrote
I don't think it is.

HA!

That right there was my main motivator to improve during my young 20's! In fact, I believe that at the core, everything we do to some extent is for mating or at least when we are young and haven't had kids yet.  
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Gee wiz, how long before we get some Lange girl photos in this thread?

I think discussing the history of sex and skiing would make for an interesting paper. Skiing has a long history of having a sexy aspect. But is the sport sexist? Eh...

I think any sport or recreational activity leans towards testosterone because more men than women are pushing their athletic boundaries. Is that sexist? I think the better question is what can be done to make the upper level of the sport more appealing to women? Is it just self selection? Or is there a hostile unseen wall? I think the ski industry would like nothing more than to have more women be stronger and better skiers and more into the sport (more active participation means more sales and profits). So I can't see that type of issue being an industry thing. Is it cultural on the slopes? I am not seeing it but I am not a woman so perhaps I am not seeing something that is there.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ok, I'll be serious. I really enjoyed Jen Hudaks interview here.

http://www.theskidiva.com/jen-hudak-on-the-sexualizing-of-women-athletes-sarah-burke-and-more/

That sign from Thredbo is ridiculous but Australian culture is known for that sort of sexism. I have heard numerous times that Australian woman love American men for the respect they show them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
At the world cup level for cross country, nordic combined and jumping, skiing is definitely sexist.  XC: women ski shorter distances than men.  Unsure how the purses compare for men's vs women's xc.  Women's ski jumping, finally becoming an Olympic sport.  Too late for Lindsey Van to cash in on the dues she's paid.  Nordic combined is still a ways off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by HGTVfan
HGTVfan wrote
I don't think it is.

That is sure to Schwing  the vote !
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
No, but, it's pretty racist.

I did see a black girl (sorry, but, she was no woman. Yet) this winter in Summit a lot. Boarder, of course. She was like an alien.

Edit: I'm pretty sure most ski town dirtbags would welcome any and all women to pick up the sport and join the fun in the local ski town. Have you seen the male/female ratio in most mountain towns? It's absurd. Priests get more sex than some dude who moves to live the life, if he isn't married and brings his own.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Ok, I'll be serious. I really enjoyed Jen Hudaks interview here.

http://www.theskidiva.com/jen-hudak-on-the-sexualizing-of-women-athletes-sarah-burke-and-more/
Good interview.  Gives a female perspective.  Although, more so on the sport as a whole rather than male vs. female in skiing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
No, but, it's pretty racist.

I did see a black girl (sorry, but, she was no woman. Yet) this winter in Summit a lot. Boarder, of course. She was like an alien.
What? OMG Benny ! So by that metric the NBA is also racist ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'm still waiting to hear what some of the more female NYSBers think. Also, considering our sport's history of debauchery, I'm curious what some of our old-timers think, especially those that lived through the fondue/ hot tub-orgy era of the 60s and 70s. Is the sport less sexist then it used to be?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble