27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JP Auclair Missing in Avalanche

Harvey
Administrator
Tranlation from Biobiochile.cl

Four foreigners, three of Sweden and one from Canada, plus Chile, climbed up Mount San Lorenzo in Cochrane in the Aysen region, apparently for making a film, but an avalanche had swept 700 meters and to a Canadian Swedish, finding missing since Monday afternoon.

Those who are missing are Andreas Fransson of Sweden and JP Auclair, Canada. Meanwhile, those who were unharmed this avalanche were identified as Bjarne Salen and Daniel Ronnbak, both from Sweden.

Foreign Balmaceda had reached on 26 September, and the next day moved to the area with a tour guide of our country.

Knowledge of the fact was made Monday afternoon, through a call via satellite phone, where they could report the situation to police in Cochrane.

The mountainous area is distant 18 hours of the city, and then connect to another flight of two hours and just start climbing to the place where the accident occurred. To this is added that rescuers can take up to 13 hours to reach the area of ​​the avalanche.

http://earlyups.com/andreas-fransson-jp-auclair-missing-avalanche/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: JP Auclair Missing in Avalanche

ml242
umm, that's no bueno.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
both are dead, confirmed.

RIP
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jp Auclair and Andreas Fransson died in a September 30 at 10:22 p.m. avalanche Mardi

Andreas Fransson, JP Auclair, Bjarne Salen and Daniel Ronnbak climbed to the top of Mount San Lorenzo in the Aysen region of Chile Monday afternoon for their new film. Unfortunately an avalanche swept about 700 meters. The two bodies Andreas Fransson and JP Auclair were found ...

The area of ​​the disappearance is 18 hours from the city, followed by two hour flight accesses where the avalanche was triggered. Added to this the thirteen long hours can meter relief for searching the area entirely .

The local magazine published an article PublicMetro there just " were found dead Andreas Fransson and JP Auclair missing yesterday after an avalanche on Mount San Lorenzo in the Aysen region , which has dragged for 700 meters . "

Apparently alerted by the emergency, helicopters swept the area and managed to find the two bodies.

http://www.e-adrenaline.fr/neige/actualites/jp-auclair-et-andreas-fransson-sont-morts-dans-une-avalanche/4889
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
First thought was sadness, but I've somehow become numbed to these type occurrences ever since Doug Combs passed..  (That upset me a lot for some reason...)

I'm sure I'll take some flak for this, but these two brave men died doing what they loved.  Better that than stuck full of tubes in some old age home having someone change your depends, and all you can think is, I wish I hadn't spent so much time at the office...

TD.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No flack from me. That's what I thought, or something like it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
First thought was sadness, but I've somehow become numbed to these type occurrences ever since Doug Coombs passed..  (That upset me a lot for some reason...)
I'm always shocked when something like this happens to a big name because we tend to think of them as supermen/women whose skills and experience put them beyond the danger of skiing frequently in either avy-prone terrain or DFU zones.

I found Coombs' death especially sad because he was trying to rescue a friend who had fallen.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Telemark Dave wrote
Better that than stuck full of tubes in some old age home having someone change your depends, and all you can think is, I wish I hadn't spent so much time at the office...

TD.
I might go out that way, but I'm planning to ski until I'm about 115.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom

RIP
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Very nice, GSM. I like it a lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Telemark Dave wrote
I'm sure I'll take some flak for this, but these two brave men died doing what they loved.  
I'll give you some flak.

First, let's reserve the word "brave" for people that do more important things than skiing couloirs. Maybe people who overcome cancer? Or people who rush into burning buildings to save children?

And I find that "He died doing what he loved" diminishes from the person and the thing he loved. I'm sure he loved a lot of other things, too. His family, perhaps. The small child he left behind. Maybe he liked golfing, or laying on the grass on a warm summer's day. He was probably a complicated guy, and as much as we are all skiers, we all have a lot to live for outside of skiing.

And "skiing" doesn't have to mean "pushing the limits of the sport in avalanche terrain". We all get a rush out of skiing and we don't have to do that to feel it. You should know this better than anyone, TD. Your posts of you and Gord just thwacking around Ontario are some of the best posts on this board.

I just feel like when you say "He died doing what he loved", you simplify a complicated guy and you simplify a complicated sport.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Goreskimom wrote

RIP
Putting it on the second page. Loving it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by ml242
GSM: amazing how a simple autograph can end up being such a wonderful memory.  Thanks for sharing that...

TD

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Mattchuck - point taken.  

But I feel you're over analyzing my comments.  Don't turn this into the "ideal amount of snow" thread.  

Td
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Nah, just presenting the other side because I've seen a lot of that "Died doing what he loved" stuff lately, and it always rubs me the wrong way.

I do agree with you that it's better than dying with tubes attached to you, but I agree with ml, I want to die skiing at 115 years of age.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
mattchuck2 wrote
Nah, just presenting the other side because I've seen a lot of that "Died doing what he loved" stuff lately, and it always rubs me the wrong way.

I do agree with you that it's better than dying with tubes attached to you, but I agree with ml, I want to die skiing at 115 years of age.
No arguments from me.  
Either way, better than dying doing what you don't enjoy.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
+1 on MC2's comments, more eloquently put than I could have done.There may be some among us that hope they go out in a blaze of glory. But I suspect most of us would not want to die doing the things we love, but rather die of old age having had a lifetime doing what we loved until our bodies refuse to abide with any further activity.

Someone above noted that these are pros that keep dieing in avalanches... these are the guys that do it for a living and make these assessments at least weekly and often daily throughout the year. And still so many get caught. That is one reason I have a low risk tolerance for that type of thing. Though I can't say I don't do things that might be more riskier in some ways... but at least I have more control over those situations. Crap happens, but I don't trust myself to accurately survey conditions when even the most experienced can't do it perfectly. Just my position, I realize it is more conservative than most.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think the sentiment for me is that it's cool that he was able to live the way he wanted.  I may be biased as a skier, but watching JP ski... he must have loved it right?  I hope he did.  And I hope we wasn't too afraid when he died.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Oh yeah, as for dying skiing at 115, well I'm all in.  
Unfortunately that rules out showers, since that's one of the most likely places you'll die unintentionally as you get older.
Unnecessary risk IMHO.
So stock up on the deoderant.

Hope my levity doesn't offend.

TD.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I think the sentiment for me is that it's cool that he was able to live the way he wanted.  I may be biased as a skier, but watching JP ski... he must have loved it right?  I hope he did.  And I hope we wasn't too afraid when he died.
This is the nugget, well said Harv. They were doing what they loved to do and tragically, they died. They died in a violent, scary fashion causing a lot of grief and stress for those left behind. Not to mention the danger for the rescue parties and recovery costs in such a remote part of the world. It is a complicated and shitty situation.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report