25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jay Peak and Canadian Holidays etc

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Zelda is pushing hard for us to go to Williamsburg VA for spring break (nights of April 1 - 5 for us).  "We always spend all our free time in the same places." No defense from me, that my friends, is a FACT.

Poke my eye out with a stick, I've paid my dues (went to Williamsburg in high school) and plus spring break is relatively early this year, could be missing some great skiing.

I was taking my walk yesterday and I had a thought... what about JAY PEAK. Slopeside, waterpark, ice rink, climbing gym, theater, arcades, spa and oh yeah I forgot... skiing.

I need to sell this.  What do I need to know? Canadian Holidays that week? Crowded? Condo vs Hotel? What do I need to know?  Any selling points or insight very welcome. Save me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jay Peak and Canadian Holidays etc

ADmiKe
This could help:

http://www.skiridefree.com/skipromoimages/gas+ski2018.pdf

Maybe you could sell your family on a couple brewery visits (Burlington) and Ben and Jerrys Tour (somewhere up that way I forget name of town...near $towe)

Don't think Sutton is far way from jay if you wanna do Canaduh to make the trip that much more of a "new place"...never been but heard good things.  Prob others on this board from up that way could comment more on that.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
There are no Canuckistanian holidays to worry about at that time. Both Ontario and Quebec school breaks are in the first two weeks of March. Jay often gets late season school groups from, of all places, the UK. I've been there when they are there and don't recall it being an issue. Mostly hilarious antics of British people on skis for the first time.

Conditions at Jay in April can be fantastic or shitty, like anywhere I suppose. That will be a tough sell given conditions right now. Another thing to promote might be a day trip to Montreal, lots of cool stuff there.

We're going to Cuba on April 11, wanna come?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
This post was updated on .
Cuba is cool, definitely different than the US or any other Caribbean country.  Bring lots of cash.  US sanctions prevent banks from operating there, so you can't just drop a Visa card on every problem that happens. They take 10% off the top of US, so bring Canadian if you have it.  Also, be careful not to take pesos as change for CUCs.  CUCs are for tourists and they're worth X40 (?) pesos.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Do it plus Sutton.  Did jay and Sutton end of feb last year during school break so a few days after president weekend.   No lines at jay on that holiday Thursday.  So much fun there and Sutton.  Wide tree runs do it.  Even non tree skiers can do Sutton trees.  

Then it was the March meltdown which we have now.   See other post I asked about northern Vermont and cancelled my plans for next weekend due to reports and pix sent here.  Not paying Vermont prices for groomers when WF is free.   Again watch weather make the call in seven weeks or get a place that can be cancelled. Use liftopia.  Check their prices for jay Sutton owls head bromont orford.   Be amazed how cheap that part of Canada is.    And the food is much better!  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
What’s in Williamsburg?

Is that one of those historic spots with the plantations and stuff? My Mom would drag us to those places and take us on those guided tours back when I was a kid. I’d rather get poked in the eye with a stick! My god that was brutal.

Good luck!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
raisingarizona wrote
My Mom would drag us to those places and take us on those guided tours back when I was a kid.
I have done work for Williamsburg and I know for a fact that this is part of the marketing strategy. NOONE goes unless mom drags them. That was why I went, I've paid my dues.

raisingarizona wrote
I’d rather get poked in the eye with a stick! My god that was brutal.
Hence the reason for my post. If you look at my orginal post, I also used the poke/eye/stick reference.  It's a common reaction with the skiing father demographic.

I fear I am losing this battle.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
this is simple..it quite obvious that she doesn't want to go skiing..

I have been married for almost 27yrs, it ain't worth the fight..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Conditions at Jay in April can be fantastic or shitty, like anywhere I suppose.
That is what I was going to reply with.

If conditions are shit, is it really worth burning points for crappy skiing?

Then again, if it is good, have fun reading the reports from VA, lol.

Why does Zelda want to go to Williamsburg? What is the draw for her? I think if you are looking for alternative options, you've gotta address what is motivating her, what is she interested in. If you can find something that matches up, party bonus. I think if you pitch her a self serving idea that doesn't hit her sweet spot too, that could be trouble.

Jay won't be crowded, that is for sure. Unless it is a powder day. Even then... probably not too crowded by April even with new snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
She wants Neve to have an education experience. That's what SUMMER is for!

River is an evolved man. I am a one dimensional pod.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Jay is a lot of things but educational is not one of them, lol.

You could stop at Stowe to check out the VT Ski Museum en route.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Do you have passports?  What about Quebec City?  Plenty of history and culture to learn there.  Feels much more French than Montreal.  But I have no idea when the ski resorts up there close for the season.

I happen to like history and places like Williamsburg.  But not during ski season.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Dude, go to VA and relax!  Go out to eat, drink fancy drinks, and enjoy being on vacation
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by bumps
The Ben & Jerry's factory is in Waterbury, about 10 miles from Stowe.  The water park at Jay is huge.  Side story: I was there having a beer with a friend of mine whose kids were in the pool.  To our right, also having a drink was Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue.

Jay is 1.5 hours from Montreal.  There's history & s*** in Old Montreal, the BioDome is next to the Olympic Stadium (never been there).  There's a planetarium nearby, too.  A note about Mtl. - put blinders on your kid if you're walking down St. Catherine Street.

Sutton is about :30 min. from Jay, Stowe is :45 to an hour.  Aside from the amenities at Jay, you're kind of captive.  There's enough to do around there, but it's a little like being on a cruise ship.

BTW, if you're on state routes and see a sign saying "Frost Heaves," slam on the brakes immediately.  The signs are usually right at the bump, and they don't put the signs there for kicks.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
What about sailing?  I've always wanted to take a boat out on the outer banks.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote

BTW, if you're on state routes and see a sign saying "Frost Heaves," slam on the brakes immediately.  The signs are usually right at the bump, and they don't put the signs there for kicks.
LMAO

That right there is the truth! One of the places I lived at during my time at Smuggs was right on the mountain road. There was a frost heave sign right in front of our place and the 1 foot depression was literally right after the sign. In the spring the mountain road was full of traffic heading thru the Notch. We would sit on our front porch, drink beers, and literally laugh our asses off as shit would fly off of cars after hitting that heave. Hubcaps, bumpers, springs, etc etc. It was amazing fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Harv we are going to Jay at the same time. On the brink of booking our trip. We were thinking of heading up to MSA/Le Massif but decided to stay a little closer. The waterpark quite frankly is a big draw too in case the skiing isn't great. I figure over the course of 5 days there have to be a couple decent ones in there.

There is a 15% off deal on the jay site if you select deals and discounts. Lots of options that are relatively cheap for ski/waterpark/lodging combos. We did Jay once a few years ago over president's week and loved it. We had some wind, some rain, some ice and some snow and still had blast. You are remote but there are lots of things to do if the skiing is subpar. The water park is great. There is a movie theater and climbing wall. Neve can hang out at the kids club for a day (included if you book through Jay). Ice skating, nordic center, etc.

If you can convince the clan to go let me know and we can hook up for some runs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I have been selling all that stuff Danzilla.  But the fat lady is warming up.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
I have been selling all that stuff Danzilla.  But the fat lady is warming up.
Given that this April may not be that stellar, maybe do what she wants this time.  Puts you in a stronger position in the future.

I'm going to New Orleans for a week in March because my non-skiing husband has to be there for a professional conference.  But instead of just going when he has to be there, we are going a few days early.  He's still not too excited about extending my late season trip to Alta for my daughter's spring break but . . .

What is the plan for getting to Williamsburg?  Drive straight thru or stop and do something fun along the way?