10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jay Peak is a Class Act.

Funky Polak
From their Facebook page:

Jay Peak Resort
One guy out there right now (9am) ripping it up, so we're going to give him another hour then shut it down for the season. Golf Course closed today too. Batten down the hatches. Thanks all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jay Peak is a Class Act.

Harvey
Administrator
Totally agree with your assessment Funky. This from the website:

May 15, 2011 @ 10:31 AM.

Soooooo........we had planned to stop running the Triple at 10:00AM, but some of you hardcore Raised Jayers showed up ready and psyched to ski in the rain. So, we'll keep spinning the Triple until the last of you have had your fill. 

The "corporate structure" at Jay is lean and very horizontal.  People running the operation are smart and empowered.

More coming from James on this later in the week.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey44 wrote
The "corporate structure" at Jay is lean and very horizontal.  People running the operation are smart and empowered.

More coming from James on this later in the week.
Well said, Funky and Harv, I agree totally. Having had a bit of an insider's view of the marketing and admin offices over at Jay, I can tell you they get a lot done with surprisingly few people in a very rustic office setting. Steve Wright's Dumpster Cam posts are the genuine view from his office window.

We over at the RJPSR are definitely looking forward to the "more coming from James." Woo hoo!

On another note, this thread got me thinking: The Funky Harv? Could be a new tele-dance? Or maybe the black flies are getting to me already.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sick Bird Rider wrote
 The Funky Harv? Could be a new tele-dance?
Is that the dance with the jacked up rear end and the hands down LOW ?

..." Get yo butt in the air like you don't care.
      Place yo hands down low where da feet usually go
      Put the pedal to the metal, but watch where you drive
      Cuz if you do an Endo...you may not arrive. "

Is this the off-season training vehicle?

Cure for interested parties.

http://www.amazon.com/Dimension-Steerer-Extender-Black-Threadless/dp/B001C6DTZY/ref=pd_sim_sg_3
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seriously snowballs I might have to use that as my signature.

Um back on topic ... this tweet from JPR this am gave me a chuckle:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I think that Jay is the best run ski area in the east by far.  Their marketing staff kicks Orda's staffs behinds.  They just seem to really get it.

Hopefully the WF and Gore managements are taking notes and learning a thing or two on how to properly run a ski area.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by Funky Polak
I love Jay Peak's attitude!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jackalope
Wow!  Just finished reading the interview with Steve Wright.  It should be required reading for every person in management at ORDA!  It's an interesting contrast between Jay's marketing, and "More Gore."  Sad in a way, because Gore's a great place that probably could be marketed so much more effectively.  On the other hand, perhaps we should be careful what we advocate for.  Among other things, current marketing contributes to Gore's ambiance and lack of crowds.  I for one don't want Gore to become another big overcrowded place with a city feel, and I'm concerned that with a change in marketing that could happen.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
The interview with Steven Wright VP of marketing at Jay was great.  Bridgit Widget from WF needs to go sit down with that guy and stick a straw in his head.  

I really liked learning the perspective that a marketing oriented ski area has versus a ops run one.  WF is clearly ops run since Bruce took over at the helm.  Its clear to me that a marketing run ski area values its customers more and makes more decisions that we as hard core skiers would make ourselves if we ran the place
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
ausable skier wrote
Its clear to me that a marketing run ski area values its customers more and makes more decisions that we as hard core skiers would make ourselves if we ran the place
I agree, but doesn't the ORDA apparatus encourage an ops-run format?