7 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jay Tree Clinic - Day 2 - the Corona Hwy - 2/7/13

Z
This post was updated on .
Day 2 of the PSIA Trees Clinic provided exactly what I was hoping for when I signed up.  We were able to ski several runs in the side country of Jay that I have heard so much about but have never experienced 1st hand.  I will not disclose the location or directions to get here so I don't get Jay locals hackles up.

We traversed about 5 mins out and got to some superb glade skiing with boot top and deeper powder.  It was still boney in spots but except for my run in the slides they were the best runs of the season for me.  We were warned to not go too far in one direction or we would find ourselves in for a really long walk.  After about 1200 or so vert of nicely spaced glades we caught a traverse back in to the ski area.  Someone had built some small bridges on the traverse to allow quick transit over the small creeks.  At one time the route out was lined with Corona bottles stuck on tree branches to mark the way but they are long gone now thus the name.

We did several laps with slightly different routes during the day and never saw anyone else there.  Its a great locals shash so I need to perserve the details.

An undisclosed section of Jay Side Country

The clinic crew
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jay Tree Clinic - Day 2 - the Corona Hwy - 2/7/13

Sick Bird Rider
Nice! You are getting the insider's tour. Appreciate the effort to not divulge details but that is a pretty popular stash. Kind of like a place you might go to pick low-hanging fruit.

Now, think about this: in the Jay Peak master plan, that lovely open glade you skied will be cut down and turned into a groomer, with the objective of providing more intermediate terrain on that side of the mountain. If you don't like that idea, a polite letter to Bill Stenger & Walter Erlander from a group of visiting PSIA instructors would certainly be appreciated by those of us who are already lobbying against this plan.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I thought the expansion was going on the other side?  Are they going to add another chair over in that section where we were not supposed to be?  That is some great terrian over there.  We figured if 10 of us did the Dip we would have gotten busted.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Nice spot - I gotta get there some day.
I have skied a lot of western glades and a lot of eastern glades and there is something to be said for skiing amongst the hardwoods in an open glade in the east.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I thought the expansion was going on the other side?  Are they going to add another chair over in that section where we were not supposed to be?  That is some great terrian over there.  We figured if 10 of us did the Dip we would have gotten busted.
Gotten busted for what? The walk back is pretty short if you don't have a car spotted. Not much of a secret there.

There is no expansion happening, West Bowl is on indefinite hold. They are planning to install a groomer on skier's right of Timbuk. The trees you skied might be effected somehow depending on what they do with the trail. It certainly will never be the same even if it is still somewhat in tact. The last few times I've been to Jay, I've been dumbfounded how fast that area gets tracked out now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snow looks delicious to me.  

Glad it worked out. I heard that the Jay Cloud saves 33% more vacations than any other cloud in the sky.

I don't have much experience there but, for me, it's hard to imagine. Getting busted. By Jay. Patrol.

Then again I was there on a weekday.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
NICE!

I did the AASI Jay Trees clinic many years ago, and its what got me into my love of trees. It was such an incredibly good time, I'll forever hold that clinic in my heart. Glad you had a rad time!