classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jim Niehues: Ski Map Artist

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
You forget how good this guy is until you look at any map that he hasn't done (for example, the three NY state-owned mountains).

MSNBC link

I wonder how much he charges?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jim Niehues: Ski Map Artist

gebbyfish
Saw that piece on the nightly news.  Great talent and what a great job to have!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
You forget how good this guy is until you look at any map that he hasn't done (for example, the three NY state-owned mountains).

MSNBC link

I wonder how much he charges?
For anyone interested, here's a link to an article that describes the different types and techniques that are used to create mountain trail maps. It's kind of interesting ... (Ok ... if you're a cartography geek ... like me!)

http://www.mountaincartography.org/publications/papers/papers_lenk_08/tait.pdf

The Whiteface & Gore maps are done by Gary Milliken, who is briefly mentioned in the article.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I've always loved looking at maps of all sorts as a kid.  Being a hard core skier I have a collection of trail maps of most places I've skied and it makes for a nice summer day to stare longingly at trail maps.  Niehues is the picasso of trail maps.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Thanks for posting that James, very interesting piece.

Niehues is a great example of someone who has turned talent and passion into a nice lifestyle and livelihood. According to his website, he lives in Loveland, CO, and is a skier (no kidding!). Some good friends of mine are custom mapmakers and you would be surprised how much work goes into a relatively simple-looking map. Like Niehues, they do a lot of surveying "on the ground." While their final maps are made with a computer, much of the prep work is done "old school," taking measurements in the field, staring at aerial photos with a stereo plotter, drawing by hand, etc.

Map geeks should check out his site, there are some interesting stories on the process. Ausable - if you are missing a map for summer gazing, you can purchase poster-sized versions on-line:
http://www.jamesniehues.com/
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Awesome. I try and find post card versions of his work whenever I go out West. I then hang them near my desk at work and stare at them longingly in between the time I spend posting on here.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
I'd read that he charges less than $10k which seems like a bargain. (Not sure that's right but I read it on the internet!)

Original paintings go for a lot more, and the mountain does not get that for the price.

Kinda cool that "hue" is part of his name too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
...it makes for a nice summer day to stare longingly at trail maps.
Haha I do the same thing online! I know by heart the maps of mountains I haven't even been to..kinda scary. Almost time for friday fantasy photos? haha..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I amazed that after all these years, no one else has been able to come close. He is the standard by which all other maps are judged. I've yet to see any of his competitors come close to his work.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
It's taken a while, but Jim Niehues has found a way to get a book produced that will include his complete collection.  A Kickstarter campaign started last week for a coffee table book to be produced in 2019.  It will include all 200 ski area paintings that Niehues has done in his career.  The campaign ends 1/3/19 and is already way over the goal.  The project team includes Jason Blevins for the text.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orsc/james-niehues-the-man-behind-the-map/