Jiminy’s dirty laundry goes viral

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jiminy’s dirty laundry goes viral

Brownski
This is all over the place so I thought we may as well be outraged here as well....

Posted by some little Napoleon manager who works for one of their concessionaires apparently

The response/ apology/ excuse from the top...

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jiminy’s dirty laundry goes viral

Sick Bird Rider
Excellent response letter by the resort guy. I've had to respond to a few customer complaint letters over the years, it is a delicate line to walk.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Ya know, if I was in a business where it was hard to recruit employees because of the
location, the seasonal nature of the job, and the low wages, I wouldn't want managers saying this shit to employees either (regardless of whether it's a contractor or whatever).

Also, I wish that businesses would cut out the middleman and just hire employees directly so that when these types of incidents happen, they can offer something better than "our contractor fucked up, not us!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Ya know, if I was in a business where it was hard to recruit employees because of the
location, the seasonal nature of the job, and the low wages, I wouldn't want managers saying this shit to employees either (regardless of whether it's a contractor or whatever).
Yeah, absolutely. Plus, it’s so unnecessary. It’s not like this guy’s employees don’t have a lot of motivation to risk a sketchy drive already. I’m sure they’re all hourly so they don’t get paid when they don’t work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Brownski
I worked at Jiminy for 5 years, in a supervisory position.  All I can say is that neither note surprises me.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Saratogahalfday wrote
I worked at Jiminy for 5 years, in a supervisory position.  All I can say is that neither note surprises me.
Do you remember Mark? Dude seems like a dick
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
I worked in the ski school, but I know John Harvard's was and continues to be a dump.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Also, I wish that businesses would cut out the middleman and just hire employees directly so that when these types of incidents happen, they can offer something better than "our contractor fucked up, not us!"
That's why businesses hire contractors and consultants. Everybody needs someone to blame.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I didn’t think it was that bad of a notification. There sure are a lot of young people that don’t consider not showing up to work as a big deal and call out if the winds blows the wrong direction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
raisingarizona wrote
I didn’t think it was that bad of a notification. There sure are a lot of young people that don’t consider not showing up to work as a big deal and call out if the winds blows the wrong direction.
That’s a valid point. It could have been worded a lot better. I think Manager Mark really went wrong when he asserted that travel bans don’t apply to them. As Fairbanks pointed out, nobody knows who is or isn’t included until the state puts it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, just seems like a shitty manager to me.

Plenty of other ways to handle this, but this guy went with "publicly posted passive aggressive threatening letter" instead of "treat your employees like people and talk to them"
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Yeah, just seems like a shitty manager to me.

Plenty of other ways to handle this, but this guy went with "publicly posted passive aggressive threatening letter" instead of "treat your employees like people and talk to them"
Certain situations limit the time available to talk to each employee and a group can take even more time to address feedback. That being said, I could write a much better letter!
  At work I deal with similar conflicts where I want to talk to each person vs just telling everyone how it is. I've had it out with ownership over the best way to handle these types of things.
I don't rip, I bomb.