Johnny Marr

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Johnny Marr

Adk Jeff
Had the good fortune to catch Johnny Marr on Tuesday night with some college buddies of mine at a very small local venue. If you’re not familiar with Marr’s work, he’s best known for having founded The Smiths in 1982, when he was just 18.  If you watch Jimmy Fallon, he was on the show last week. I’ve been to so many concerts over the years, it was refreshing to see a performance at the complete opposite end of the spectrum from the high-priced arena / stadium shows that typify rock & roll tours these days.  This was a $20 General Admission show, and with no more than perhaps 200 people in the audience it was easy to be 10’ from Marr for the entire performance.  The band was amazingly tight, Marr’s guitar and vocals stellar.  At the end of the set, Marr said something to the effect of “screw waiting for the encore, let’s keep playing” and launched into a fierce version of the Sex Pistols’ classic “I Fought the Law.” Only problem was all the $3 PBRs caught up to me the next morning.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Johnny Marr

MC2 5678F589
Looks cool, but God, I hate "Upstate Concert Hall". What a joke of a venue. I guess it's fitting that the only cool place to see bands in Clifton Park is a shitty strip mall, but I just feel sorry for the acts that have to go there when they see what they're working with. Also, the sight lines are no good, the beer is overpriced ($0.33 cents a can, those $3 PBRs are almost a 1000% markup), the vibe sucks, and I never seem to have a good time when I go there.

I miss Revolution Hall in Troy. Hell, I miss Saratoga Winners and E O'Dwyer's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
mattchuck2 wrote
Looks cool, but God, I hate "Upstate Concert Hall". What a joke of a venue. I guess it's fitting that the only cool place to see bands in Clifton Park is a shitty strip mall, but I just feel sorry for the acts that have to go there when they see what they're working with. Also, the sight lines are no good, the beer is overpriced ($0.33 cents a can, those $3 PBRs are almost a 1000% markup), the vibe sucks, and I never seem to have a good time when I go there.

Agreed. It's great if you're 6'6", but I'm not. When they first opened as Park West, they had tables in front of the stage, so I actually could see Johnny Winter. Mostly, I've just heard the bands I went to see. One odd memory -- seeing Collective Soul during a heat wave in 2001 when the AC was busted. Well over 100 degrees inside. Pretty gross and even more amazing that the band did not faint or get electrocuted during their set.

Revolution Hall was great. Good sight lines and acoustics and the bar was RIGHT THERE!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Very cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Love small venues.  One of the best 'concerts' I ever went to was when Third Eye Blind played The Chance in Poughkeepsie.  Pretty small shit bar with yes, shitty sight lines and whatnot....but what an intimate setting for a show.  Very cool.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff

Concert reviews in the OT!  Nice pics. Real camera?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Looks cool, but God, I hate "Upstate Concert Hall".
I hear you Matt, but I really don't have a problem with it.  It is what it is.  Easy to get to, easy parking.  It's like going to Target to go shopping.  Roomy inside, though I've never been there when it's crowded. I do hate the name "Upstate Concert Hall."  To me it'll always be Northern Lights.  They don't get a ton of acts that interest me, but it's cool once every few years when they do.

mattchuck2 wrote
Yeah, Saratoga Winners was cool back in the day.  Too bad that guy who bought it torched it for the insurance cash.  I believe he's still in prison. Saw some good shows there: Dada, Spin Doctors, come to mind.  I had tickets to see Courtney Love.  Then about 10 days before the show Kurt Cobain blew his brains out and she cancelled the rest of her tour.  Bummer.

Harv, just cell phone pics.