classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Johnsburg officials fight to keep ski shuttle funded

Snowballs
Banned User
http://poststar.com/news/local/article_fe5d0304-3a03-11e0-a9d4-001cc4c03286.html

Personally, I would be more than surprised if this is true..

"At this point last year, the bus carried 1,168 riders, Stanton said. That number is up 19 percent, with 1,390 riders having taken the ride to the business district, as of Tuesday."

If so, and since they're pushing for more funding, they likely would have also included the number of riders between the Bowl and Gore.

I would guess these numbers represent total ridership and plenty of them did not disembark at downtown North Creek. Just my opinion.

The County recently discovered over $900,000.00 in the Bed Tax funds they didn't realize they had.  Maybe some of this could be used for the shuttle.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Johnsburg officials fight to keep ski shuttle funded

Danzilla
I just saw that article too.  I don't understand the whole idea of someone driving to the mountain and then taking a shuttle into north creek.  Maybe I am crazy but I just don't see it.  I can see the shuttle being useful for someone sking from the main mountain down to the bowl and going into north creek for lunch.  Or for getting back up to the main mountain after sking down to the bowl,  but I don't know why you would do that if you could ride the Hudson chair and traverse over to BR.  What I DO think the shuttle is good for is getting people to stay in North Creek and take the shuttle to the mountain.  I have used the shuttle 5 or 6 times for this purpose.  I love that I can wake up early, leave the car with the wife, and walk to main street and hitch a ride.  On a busy holiday weekend it is great too as you don't have to deal with the parking nightmare.  I suspect that the majority of riders are either riding from lodging in town up to the mountain or from the bowl back up to the mountain.  I wonder how many mid day trips are taken from the mountain into town.  I would bet it is a low number.

Amazing how they just found 900K isn't it?  I hope they don't waste it on stupid marketing gimmicks in a race to spend it all.  Maybe they could save it and spend it for marketing the new bike path from NC to Tawahus.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Agreed. Got to thinking, maybe people who are just hangin aroung the lodge while the family skis, ride the shuttle downtown to kill some time.

Glad it works out for ya. That's pretty slick how it helps you avoid parking and your wife gets to keep the car. Das good.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Snowballs
The usage numbers are not very compelling justification yet. A significant percentage of the riders may very well be guests of the Alpine and the Copperfield. Certainly very few riders from the Ski Bowl to Main Street.
I Think, Therefore I Ski