classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
56 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Judge Throws Out Snowboarders Case Against Alta

dmc_hunter
Coach Z wrote
There are valid reasons Alta does not allow snow boards.  The nature of their terrain requires long traverses to get to a great deal of their skiable terrain.  Only an exceptional few snowboarders can handle a mile long traverse
Thats a pretty messed up statement...  sorry...

We get along find and adapt to new terrain just fine...
And don't need your protection from traverses... but thank you...  hahaha...
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Z
I don't think it has anything to do with the terrain.  The ban is simply for exclusivity sake.  The upper left hand corner of the trail map says it all:

Similar to any "exclusive" social club that does not allow members who don't fit a particular profile.  The trail map could very easily say "Alta is a men's club... women are not allowed"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
It's the reason boards suck as a tool for most big western mountains with bowls. Try traversing the East Wall at A Basin on a board. Try getting to 40% of the goods at Jackson Hole on one.
F traversing East Wall... I climb to the top and drop North Pole chute...  Or I climb up into the chutes...

Bowls are just high speed runouts for chutes anyways... I could care less about bowls and avi crud.. and sun bake... and gaper pow ruts...  

i apparently ride big mountains different from you...  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
dmc_hunter wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It's the reason boards suck as a tool for most big western mountains with bowls. Try traversing the East Wall at A Basin on a board. Try getting to 40% of the goods at Jackson Hole on one.
F traversing East Wall... I climb to the top and drop North Pole chute...  Or I climb up into the chutes...

Bowls are just high speed runouts for chutes anyways... I could care less about bowls and avi crud.. and sun bake... and gaper pow ruts...  

Ahahahaha

DMC FTW
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
campgottagopee wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Ahahahaha

DMC FTW

I just don't like people trying to make excuses for me...  I don't need it..  I fucking kick ass on big mountains...

Head out to the Himalaya sometime...  Drop a chute and then kick back for a 1/2 mile high speed romp across a bowl...    i do fine...

it's so awesome...  Just don't falll...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Um, yeah. I guess. I think those chutes are open as much as the slides at WF. Which is like, hardly ever.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Benny Profane wrote
Um, yeah. I guess. I think those chutes are open as much as the slides at WF. Which is like, hardly ever.

i also mentioned that I will climb into the chutes...   I have no problem with that...

If the chutes don't look good i avoid the face...  F it... I'll go to Pav... And rip up the treees...   :)
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
DMC is all talk!  And this thread is ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
ScottyJack wrote
DMC is all talk!  And this thread is ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I got skills....    I'll back that up any day...  Anywhere...  

Never ridden with any of you so called "skiers"..  You could be talking AlpineZone shit...

Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I don't think traverses, character, or lack thereof, has anything to do with the snowboard bans.  

Rather, I believe it is the idea or belief that beginner and intermediate boarders push more snow around and scrape more snow than skis.   Granted skiers can do a aweful lot of scraping.   Conversely there are awesome boarders who do nothing but carve.    In the early days when boards were banned, there was a lot of scraping and not too much awesome carving happening.    

We had 8-10 powder days this year.   Lots of boarders are also wearing Go-Pros.    The newest thing is to straight run, power slide so that your get an awesome face shot to show your friends.    Three boards wide doing Go-pro face shot runs and we are back down to ice.   A "good" boarder power slide can scrape 25 yards clean.

As a skier who likes moguls, I must say that I see a lot of great boarders in the moguls now.    The slopes are as much, if not more, their as mine.    However boarders cut up the mogul lines allowing steep, almost vertical drops off the right side of the bumps.    So much so, that we have to knock down our bumps every two-three weeks to get rid of them.     Before boarders got skilled, our bumps remained all year.    
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Wow... did that post come in on a fax?  

check the date on it...
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
Jake Burton very deliberately sold snowboarding as the bad-ass way to slide downhill. It worked very well. See?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by snoloco
I would definitely like to see more restaurants adopt the no screaming children policy.  
Personally, I'd like to see more restaurants adopt a no cell phone policy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The people I ride with (mostly Gore and Plattekill) are skiers. But a few times I went out with some younger guys from work who were boarders.  They had solid skills, but seemed to have no interest in bumps.  If I chose a bump run they'd ride another way an meet me at the bottom.  I asked them about it, they said boarding for them was about floating in pow or carving trenches.

I'd love to see a boarder who rocks the bumps. If anyone knows a youtube that shows it, post it up.  I couldn't find one, but admit I didn't try very hard.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
DMC
Never seen you ride I take you at your words and you are a top 5% boarder.  I ski with some really great boarders on staff at Whiteface and they totally can rip.  The problem is that you can become a intermediate boarder if you can live thru the first 3 days learning curve and the vast majority never progress their skills much beyond that.  They can side slip and scrap down anything giving the guys that really can ride a bad rep.  The average boarder has zero chance to ride a half mile long traverse that has whopdy doos on it.

Yeah it sucks that you are being discriminated by association.  Sorry about that. If you want to do something about it start teaching and coach up your brethren.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't see it as discrimination. Unlike choosing to be white, or male... anyone can choose to ski instead of snowboard. The argument is also really unimportant because it effects .01% of places that people can buy tickets for. If someone started a mountain that was all for snowboards with sick jumps and no moguls, good for them I'd love to see it. If it was really sick I'd buy a ticket and test myself against the terrain.

FWIW Silverton is my all-time favorite mountain out west and it is heavily snowboard influenced, anyone who thinks snowboarders lack skills should check it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
DMC
Never seen you ride I take you at your words and you are a top 5% boarder.  I ski with some really great boarders on staff at Whiteface and they totally can rip.  The problem is that you can become a intermediate boarder if you can live thru the first 3 days learning curve and the vast majority never progress their skills much beyond that.  They can side slip and scrap down anything giving the guys that really can ride a bad rep.  The average boarder has zero chance to ride a half mile long traverse that has whopdy doos on it.

Yeah it sucks that you are being discriminated by association.  Sorry about that. If you want to do something about it start teaching and coach up your brethren.
Ouch. There are a lot of pretty shitty skiers out there too. I see them in MRG bumps all the time. The "lack of skills" argument against boarders is pretty lame, IMO. The vast majority of skiers don't progress that far either. Fact is, you take an intermediate skilled slider and drop them into natural terrain, they are going down sideways and on their butt no matter how many planks they have on their feet.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Snowboarding vs skiing as far as "skills" go is silly. Do whatever you find more fun. I've met people that were idiots and a danger to everyone else on both ski's and snowboards. So that's a mute issue.

The ban at alta only makes sense because it's a novelty and one of the few in the country where you don't have to worry about snowboarders doing heel side and toe side strong turns digging trenches in the powder. I've skied and snowboarded powder. Snowboarding definitely scrapes up more powder. I'm not for banning snowboards at 99% of mountains. Let alta keep their ban. There's a lot of places to snowboard around there.  They're a private business so all these lawsuits about discrimination are silly. As if being black and being denied access is the same thing as no snowboarding....LOL!
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The reason Alta was sued is because they have a snowboard ban and are located on public land.  They aren't supposed to discriminate against people using the public land.  However, the snowboard ban is an equipment restriction and does not restrict a certain class of people from using Alta, as long as they have the proper equipment.  All the snowboarders that did the lawsuit could go to Alta, as long as they were on skis. Because they would not be restricted from going, the lawsuit is garbage.  Deer Valley and MRG are both on private land, so they can allow whoever they want on their land and ban whoever they want from their land.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
snoloco wrote
 Deer Valley and MRG are both on private land, so they can allow whoever they want on their land and ban whoever they want from their land.
Actually no - study the civil rights act.
The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.