Keep Killington Open Longer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Keep Killington Open Longer

Funky Polak
I know this is a NY site, but until recent years Killington has always been open at least until the end of May. Last few years they're lucky if they make may. I was there this weekend and the coverage they have is mid-January conditions, yet they announce that they will be closing May 1. Skied the Bear and needles areas yesterday and both were phenomenal, yet today they are closed.

I did check with the Vatican upon my arrival yesterday and was informed that yes indeed this is a sin. As a result I started this little Facebook page to try and show Killington that there are many of us out there that would love to ski as long as possible. If you agree, please check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Killington-Open/164020750322652
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Keep Killington Open Longer

ausable skier
I went over to the big K a few weekends ago.  The conditions were truely ugly - after skiing WF all year i could not believe how icy it gets when a few thousand bad skiers scrap every bit of snow off all the trails. It was scary how close the entire population of Jersey is skiing to each other on the trails.

the skiing is so much better elsewhere why ski there.  If you want to ski in May go to Tucks or Jay Peak.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
This post was updated on .
ausable skier wrote
I went over to the big K a few weekends ago.  The conditions were truely ugly - after skiing WF all year i could not believe how icy it gets when a few thousand bad skiers scrap every bit of snow off all the trails. It was scary how close the entire population of Jersey is skiing to each other on the trails.

the skiing is so much better elsewhere why ski there.  If you want to ski in May go to Tucks or Jay Peak.

Guess, you hit it on a bad, same can be said for other resorts, shame. I have and will hit Tux and Jay Peak. But Killington is close, it's fun, and it's tradition skiing into May. Just a shame the new owners can't seem to understand this. I went yesterday and in no way found the conditions you describe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
killington was really nice this past weekend. yes some of the mountain will be shutting down but i did hear from some reliable sources that they will try to stay open atleast until may.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Funky Polak
The new owners are business people who are trying to turn a profit, which means not catering to season pass holders in late May who like to get drunk and ski mud bumps, and then head off to their cooler and tailgate in the lot. In other words, absolutely no money in that and not worth spinning a chair for.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote

What? A Whiteface skier calling any other mountain in the world (besides Hunter) icy? Really?

And Tucks requires a three hour climb for one run, and Jay Peak is like an eight hour drive from most populated areas south. please.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Benny Profane wrote
ausable skier wrote

What? A Whiteface skier calling any other mountain in the world (besides Hunter) icy? Really?

And Tucks requires a three hour climb for one run, and Jay Peak is like an eight hour drive from most populated areas south. please.
Benny, you're a freaking mind reader!

With regards to turning a profit, sometimes you have to look long range. They should no longer look at costs as an operating expense as much as an advertising expense. This season with the pass prices going up and Whiteface/Gore being cheaper, I'm considering switching. If they extend the season, then there is no question about where I'm going. That's what always made Killington different, the long season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I always thought that too, the longer season at Big K being a selling point for season passes. They sure used to strive to be the first to open and last to close. Hard to say where the tipping point is, maybe people's habits are also changing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, the new owners could care less about the old traditions there, it seems. What pissed me off is their dissing of the bump fest party, which I hear is now entirely gone next year. Thirty years, and, just poof, gone. But, people still come back, especially the youngish demographic, who drink more than ski. Gore may attract the families, but it ain't got no access road.

After the disaster of Otten and his rape of Killington's revenue to make himself rich and build the Canyons, I'm happy to see a sane business minded company come in and run a ski resort, not a real estate IPO.

Hey, it's May, go do another sport, already. Buy a bike or golf clubs or sumthin'.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Benny Profane wrote
Well, the new owners could care less about the old traditions there, it seems. What pissed me off is their dissing of the bump fest party, which I hear is now entirely gone next year. Thirty years, and, just poof, gone. But, people still come back, especially the youngish demographic, who drink more than ski. Gore may attract the families, but it ain't got no access road.

After the disaster of Otten and his rape of Killington's revenue to make himself rich and build the Canyons, I'm happy to see a sane business minded company come in and run a ski resort, not a real estate IPO.

Hey, it's May, go do another sport, already. Buy a bike or golf clubs or sumthin'.
Benny, if there is one thing I understand is multiple seasons and enjoy them all. Come spring, summer, fall, love biking/hiking sometimes even throw in little blading. Nothing like enjoying a nice fire a night on at Cape Cod beach. However, spring skiing is a season all it's own. No feeling like standing on top of a mountains, with at least a ribbon of snow below you on a nice sunny, warm May day. Come June, I'm happy to get he hiking boot out. As a matter of fact, I like a transition, hike for turns. :) So, either way, plan to be sking, hiking or lift serviced, you just get more in with the latter.

This is year has been so stellar with regards to snow, dang, sprng skiing hasn't even gotten started yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
You should move to Denver and get an A Basin pass. Nuthin' like the beach in June.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Benny -  I think the young demographic that you mention is a much smaller population group than the baby boomers. I would guess the boomers were one of the reasons in the 1970s and 1980s for the late skiing at K. There are just fewer people to ski bumps all day in the spring which means less people to buy a ticket.  A number of my skiing friends from younger days do not venture into the bumps anymore.I used to head up for a weekend or 2 in May until family obligations (mostly coaching baseball) made May a non skiing month. Then K started closing earlier. I would still like the option to go.
Tha last time I went for late K skiing was May 17, 2003. The lift ticket cost $19.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
You should move to Denver and get an A Basin pass. Nuthin' like the beach in June.

I'm happy right were I am, thank you  I just don't see anything wrong with trying to sway folks. If I can do it great, if not, then as you say, there are other activities and life goes on.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
ausable skier wrote

Benny

if you live 8 hours from Jay then you clearly are comfortable driving in traffic on the NJ turnpike and skiing with all the same traffic around you

WF had a fantastic snow year this year and it was not at all icy.  About 3 years ago they put in a deslushing station which allows WF to blow much drier snow that in the past so if you think its icy you haven't been here in a while.  Try not getting off the Northway with all the other lemmings and ski WF.  You can actually ski all 3400 vert without skiing on a x-c trail like at K-mart.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Dude, here's the secret of skiing Killington on the weekend: trees.

Well, that's pretty much the secret to most areas on the weekend, isn't it? That's the problem with WF. Not much in the way of trees. They also have to invent a machine that sucks all of the moisture out of the interior of that mountain that leeches out under the snow.

There's a reason it's the premier downhill course in the east, you know. Racers love steep and icy.

funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Less than 4 days 401 likes, not too bad :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nicely done Funky.

I won't even ski Killington this year, and I want it open.  

The problem is the East NEEDS the Beast!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Just opened crackbook, the first thing on my news feed was that two friends liked "Keep Killington Open".

It's taking off!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Funky... are the Killington faithful pumped this year?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Mission accomplish...K is closing this weekend, milking as long as they can.

In previous years, it wouldn't even have spinned under the current conditions. Checkout the webcam...  
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography