Kids, Homework, College, AP, Ski Racing, All of It

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
87 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skiers: How Much Makes You Rich?

trackbiker
Don't ever let the price of tuition deter your child from applying to a certain school. The "price" of tuition is meaningless as far as cost in most cases, and more of a "status" symbol for the school.
Most private schools have huge endowments and if your child is accepted academically they will offer sufficient scholarships and aid that in many cases results in the tuition being less than a state school would be.
P.S. And don't take the first offer they make. If you him and haw and tell them that the cost is still just too much and are looking at another school they often offer more.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I’m aware for sure. A month or so ago I posted a link to a Gin and Tacos blog about it, and how it is effectively an unfortunate deterrent to first generation college students applying, but a cash cow for tuition $ from international students and wealthy families whose kid wouldn’t normally make the cut.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Papa Z starts a cool ski thread and you guys ruin it with AP this and AP that!  

PeeTex, why dont you start your own thread - call it - Geeky SmartGuy know it all and tells it all ad nauseam!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
For the “family men” amongst us, children are both a source of wealth, as well as a source of depleting wealth.

College costs are an investment. Returns can be hard to quantify.  Like season passes some years.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
On the AP this and AP that, we aren’t big AP fans.  Of course if we had STEM kids we wouldn’t have a choice!

Our daughter fought all the way through AP Calculus.  What a waste for her.  She graduated 11th in her class.....without AP classes dragging her GPA down she probably would have been 7 or 8.  She didn’t score well enough on the exams to do her any good in college.  On the other hand, our high school offers college level classes through the local community college and she loaded up on those, earning 32 credits that  her college accepted.  Sure, 16 of those are general electives that don’t do squat for her....but the other 16 credits were four classes (an entire semester) that she would have had to take (and we would have had to pay for).

We are going to load our son up on the college level classes next year, which do just as good a job demonstrating “rigorous schedule” as the APs, again if you aren’t the STEM type.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
No weighted grades for honors or AP at your school?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Z
Yeah, there’s extra weighting for honors/AP.....but my kids aren’t math wizzes so even with the extra weighting her grade in AP Calc still pulled her final GPA down a smidge.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
Kudos to everything Clarkson.  Don't let the retail sticker price shock you.  Apply to all their scholarships, and if interested, let your HS guidance counselor know early in 11th grade u r interested so the Leadership awards (1 or 2 per high school) is given to your kid.  Then apply to all the ones on the CU website if formally applying to the school.

They are more then generous, well said about female engineers, they do provide merit aid (until the Ivy League schools), agree cost can be comparable to SUNY, and the kids that graduate well in their class, have many experiences on their resume, including internships and study abroad and positions in leadership, and sports to show balance, can and do pull in a six figure salary right out of college (although 70-80k is more standard).  

Ski team is good and fun - no $$ given for D3 although it shows part of the balance package for the kid and helps with admission.  Ask what the starting salaries of St L kids are that ski D1.   Enough said.  Be careful of focusing on sports too much, when it comes to the 3rd and 4th year, if you are in engineering, you won't have the time.
I’ve been hearing a lot about the McConnell conf Div 3 for skiing and like what I hear.  Clarkson treats it as a varsity sport and covers all the training costs, race fees and travel.  It’s not D1 so you have balance to be a student first while still ski racing at ussa and fis levels.  Men’s team is legit and my son has said this seems like a good way to keep ski racing.  We certainly will look closely at Clarkson for him.

They also have a strong cross over Eng and biz management degree that gets highly recruited from.  He is good at stem and a very out going kid so that program would suit him I think.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Legit is right.  Guys won the GS at Nationals this year (home hill). Most fees are paid for the top five kids.  Still gotta buy the pass but its discounted, and you have the benefit of the NYSEF continued relationship.  That cross major is great too.  For some of the engineers, once earn their BS, its a business masters that corporate America is asking for.  Not an engineering masters.  I found that interesting.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
  She graduated 11th in her class.....without AP classes dragging her GPA down she probably would have been 7 or 8..
What? Does this matter?
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Capitol idea SJ , he is the mouth that never ends !! And HE called me a narcissist .

I figure the ole buzzard must be at least 800 years old , after all HE thinks he KNOWS EVERYTHING ( a regular legend in his own mind ) .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
In the end, given that she got into her first choice school, it didn’t matter much to my daughter, but it could matter in different circumstances.  Also, it can never hurt to have a higher gpa and class standing.  The point was, depending upon what field a kid wants to study, AP classes may or may not be a good thing and even for an extremely bright and competitive student they could, perhaps unnecessarily, pull a gpa down without providing any real benefit, and there may be better class options to pursue other than AP.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Kids, Homework, College, AP, Ski Racing, All of It

PeeTex
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Yum yum, feed me more.
You gotta troll everywhere?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree, if we must have a place for childish name calling, the Trump thread seems like the logical place.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PT

Please return to counting your money you made by inventing the internet as I recall you blabbing about awhile back.  
Warp called it right a legend in his own mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
No weighted grades for honors or AP at your school?
What I've heard in college admission introduction & tour sessions the last few months is that some colleges are calculating a GPA themselves to get away from inflation created by inconsistent treatment of AP courses.

My daughter is an anti-STEM student who is more arts oriented.  Doesn't really make that much difference since her New England prep school doesn't offer courses labeled as "AP" or honors.  The advantage is that no teachers are teaching to a standardized test of any kind.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
In the end, given that she got into her first choice school, it didn’t matter much to my daughter, but it could matter in different circumstances.  Also, it can never hurt to have a higher gpa and class standing.  The point was, depending upon what field a kid wants to study, AP classes may or may not be a good thing and even for an extremely bright and competitive student they could, perhaps unnecessarily, pull a gpa down without providing any real benefit, and there may be better class options to pursue other than AP.
I was intrigued to hear from my daughter's friend from elementary school that if he knew what he knows now, he would not have taken as many AP classes in sophomore and junior year.  He's a rising senior who plans to apply to a dozen colleges, including several private schools.  He's a STEM student with a lot going for him that will look good on a college application.  The only reason to apply to so many colleges is to see what financial packages he gets offered.

Agree that taking an AP course in a subject that's not really of special interest can be counter-productive.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
so while we are on the subject of high school classes to look good or bad for college I have a question

My son's worst subject has been Spanish.  He has 2 years in by taking it in 7th thru 9th as they count middle school as one  years credit and got a B- this past year by far his worst grade.  I think he should bow out of Spanish 3 as Stem and business schools for the most part require none to 2 years of a foreign lang.  

My thinking Spanish is hurting his gpa and taking time and effort away from important classes.  If he does this he will be be able to fit in another AP course in down the road.  My wife disagrees.  I did a search on 30 schools that he might be interested in and only a select few liberal arts schools had a req for a 3rd year of Lang and those are more the D1 ski schools which I don't think he is going to go for anyway like StL and Middlebury.

Your thoughts on this guys?

Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
My daughter is just the same Z. STEM strong, language meh.

She took it through her junior year, so completed Spanish 4. Spanish drags her gpa down a bit. I encouraged her to keep taking it, because I think it’s useful, creates a well rounded education, as well as actually improves knowledge of english grammar and sentence structure, since you learn your native language intuitively instead of through instruction.

But yes, most schools only require 2 years of language.  But also, as I constantly remind her: B’s ARE NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Z
My daughter hated spanish..she just took AP's in math and sciences.She got 5's on all of AP exams.She got into Cornell and Masters at MIT.. Go out and get good grades and due well on the SAT or ACT..
My other daughter found school boring but still took AP's in math and sciences..Diff is she didn't do well on the AP exams.

In my opinion kids do better on the SAT and ACT with paid prep classes..

"Peace and Love"