classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington 11.08.14

evergreen
This post was updated on .
Today was the first day of the ski season for our family.  We spent a few hours at Killington enjoying being out on the snow after a long 7 months.  We start almost every ski season at Killington as they open a few weeks or more before Gore does, on average.  When I was Snoloco's age, early season skiing was primarily on upper Cascade with skiing served by the old double chair from the mid station.  I remember having to ride down, but I can't remember if loading was from the summit or mid station, maybe somebody can help me out?  With the K-1 gondola, that is no longer possible, so there is only one lift running resulting in a very long line at the North Ridge triple.  

line at North Ridge

This was the longest lift line that we have waited in for years, but it was actually kind of fun to be there.  There was a good vibe, everyone was happy to be there and not expecting too much.  They even have a hot dog stand.

There was enough natural snow on the trees to give a realistic winter atmosphere, not just a strip of snow with leaves and dirt in the woods, so it felt right to be there.  The skiing was basically two short trails.  One with rails and jumps on the top then excellent snow with guns blazing.  The other trail, under the lift was kind of icy.  I have to get those skis tuned.

i

The new lodge at the summit is a real treat.  It is very expensive food, but excellent and the setting is spectacular, especially if the weather conditions are clear.  We were able to enjoy views of the snowcapped White mountains in the distance and catch up with our son who goes to college at UVM.  

Another change from when I was a kid is the "boardwalk" which facilitates getting back to the gondola to ride back down to the base area.  I also can't remember what we did in the past to get back to download from the North Ridge area before this was built.  It's quite a hike and was the most strenuous exercise we had today, since there is only about 700 feet of vertical to ski.  We ended up doing this a couple of times once for lunch and once at the end of the day.  Its really not a big deal though, and it is something that is "different" from the usual experience.  It reminded us of hiking to a bowl with or to a special stash of powder without any of the rewards.

d I

They were blowing snow all day on Snowden, and there should be skiing to the base next weekend.  There were a few poachers that we saw from the gondola coming down, but they had to hike part of the way down because there was no snow to the base yet.  We are probably going back next weekend, especially because it will be cold and there should be good conditions next weekend.

Oh yeah, the waffle shack was open at the K-1 base.  Yum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 141108

snoloco
This post was updated on .
That's a long line.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
snoloco wrote
Wow that line is worse than MC
Well, of course it is....your beloved MC isn't open.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Looking very wintry up there. Could you tell if most of the crowd were passholders?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
snoloco wrote
Wow that line is worse than MC
Well, of course it is....your beloved MC isn't open.  
I mean longer than MC on a crowded day when the backyard effect kicks in.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
About 50% passholders.  I wouldn't consider this a normal ski experience, it's more like being at a party with skiing, so the lines were tolerable.  Things should be much improved in terms of the lines once the mountain is open to the base, hopefully Saturday.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Nice report thanks for the pictures.
Downloaded from top of old double early and spring late