classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington 12/8/12

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Armed with BOGO coupons, 6 of us drove out from the Finger Lakes to ski and enjoy food, music and art at The Wild Fern in Stockbridge.

It was raining at 34 degrees when we got to Vermont Friday night. We were hoping snow had fallen on the mountain. In the morning, we were enshrouded in fog, but made our way to the mountain to ski no matter the weather. The weather was not ideal, however the skiing was excellent. Soft hero snow wall to wall on 32 trails!

The highlights were East Fall, Superstar, Bittersweet.

It was misty and wet all day, so no photos were taken while skiing, but we did get a few gondi shots

and we rented a pretty sweet mountain chalet

and celebrated Bubba's birthday at The Wild Fern on Route 100 in Stockbridge, just 10 miles from Killington

It got cold overnight, and even with the sunshine Sunday morning, the soft hero snow had set up solid. We almost went up to ski, but decided to sleep in when we saw the temps. Later on at the Wild Fern our suspicions were confirmed by those who skied. They said it was better to deal with the wet fog on hero snow than to skitter down the ice in the sunshine. They said conditions were treacherous. Glad we skipped it and enjoyed time with friends eating good food and listening to talented musicians.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 12/8/12

fahz
I was there on Sunday.  It had set up - solid as a rock.  They blew snow on some areas like Rime & Superstar Headwall all day making it more fun to ski but a challenging mix of snow conditions.  My edges definitely needed to be sharper than they are.  It was a picture perfect day on Sunday and great to be on snow again. I road the lift with some that skied on Saturday and they concurred with you, saying the snow conditions were great yesterday.  Used a BOGO, it helped make me feel better about what I paid to ski & probably my last opportunity to use it.  Forgot about the Rt 4 rock slide so I did a little detouring on my way up, should have planned that in.   Glad you all had a good day on Saturday!  If all goes well I should be in Windham as a Santa next weekend!
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington 12/8/12

Cornhead
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
  Thanks for the TR, I ended up going to Windham on Sunday since Greek didn't open. I figured I use my Warren Miller voucher since I never got around to using the last two I had for Windham. I think it was because I was getting Platty tickets so cheap, $18.75, I would rather go there. Anyway, you're right Sunday was um, "firm". It really wasn't that bad, you could still set an edge for the most part. I did see some exposed ice towards the end of the day.  Upper Wolverine sure seems alot steeper when its icy. The Wall skied really nice all day, not much traffic.The weather was great, it cleared up shortly after my arrival, and stayed sunny till about 1:30. Temps were in the low 40s. They had a pretty good turnout, lots of groups of kids, lessons. As is usual, twelve o'clock was the magic hour for the trails to clear. It never did pick back up after that. I skied nonstop from 10:30 to 2:00. The snow was taxing to ski, I'm a little achy today. It was a good workout towards getting back into ski shape.