classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington, 5/26/18 - Closing out the season

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
It was a good season, but I had to get at least one more day in, especially after seeing some pictures of how fast Mt. Washington is losing snow.

We got to Killington around 10:45. Booted up outside of the Umbrella Bar. I realized on the way to the mountain that I didn't bring snow pants, but I probably wasn't going to be wearing them anyway. The  temperature when we started was 74°.

We hopped on the lift, using our final MAX pass days on the last day we could. No snow at the bottom, so the lifts were walk on/walk off, holding your skis awkwardly and laying them next to you as  you rode the lift. There was a sizable section of mud, rocks, grass & dirty snow at the top that you had to downhike past to reach the good stuff:

The headwall was a bit dirty:

But it got better further down. There was a bump line on skier's left, and a flattish surface on skier's right that was pretty rippable:

Couple of bumps further down:

We did 4 runs in about 2.5 hours. Had a beer in between 3 & 4. We just got sick of clomping around in ski boots, really (and we had to get back to our dog). So we quit early (and had one more beer):

Here's a pic of what was left on our way out (next to some shiny chairs that I'm assuming are going to be the new Snowdon Quad):

All in all, it was a fun way to close out the season. Weird experience skiing while there are leaves on the trees. Also saw that "Hammer" guy from the Meathead films pounding bumps and a couple of friends from Gore.

I'd like to get to Tuckerman Ravine, still, but I can't do next weekend and I'm not sure what will be left after that. So this is probably the end of my 2017-2018 season. I guess I'll have to put the skis away until October.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington, 5/26/18 - Closing out the season

Harvey
Administrator
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Love that first pic, and the Captain America shot, and all of them really.

Was there walking at the bottom too?  The time I skied Superstar with walking, there was dirt at both top and bottom, but it didn't really matter as you had to take your skis off to ride the lift.

I bet a donut that 90% of the skiers yesterday experience better conditions than they did on opening day.

Thanks for posting MC.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Matt’s GF is smoking

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Z wrote
Matt’s GF is smoking
Coach,

I'm pretty sure that Matt's wife, Ace, will be thrilled to read your post.  That's because Ace is the ripping skier in quasi-beach/ski attire you see on MC's Killington Trip Report.  Shy, quiet and demure; yup, that's Ace for you.  Also answers to "Pinky" to those people whom she may have smoked on the hill.

Jus' Sayin', Ski You In November.

All The Best To You & Lil' Z.

64ER
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by Z
Hot chicks dig Libs
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Damn straight they do
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Warp - how are you doing? Hoping you can get some ski days in next season..

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com