Killington to open next weekend?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Killington to open next weekend?

Chris
With these temperatures coming in, thoughts/insight?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Killington to open next weekend?

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
NWS forecast for Kmart at 2200 feet:

NWS wrote
Tuesday Showers likely, mainly between 8am and 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52. South wind around 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Tuesday Night A 30 percent chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. West wind 7 to 9 mph.

Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 44. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph.

Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Northwest wind 3 to 5 mph.

Thursday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. West wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.

Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. West wind around 10 mph.

Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 41. West wind 9 to 15 mph.

Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind 7 to 11 mph.

Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 40. West wind 7 to 11 mph.
I don't know. Possible to get a trail open by Sunday with 3 or 4 nights of marginal snowmaking?  I do think it's going to be colder at elevation than the forecast above shows.

First TR season wins somethin. Not sure what. Undying admiration of the forum?  Bring it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
without looking at the long range forecast it too warm for K to bite. Maybe SR would go for it, but I would think that without 48-72 before a weekend with more normal snowmaking temperatures it's just doubtful. Barely freezing just isn't that good to make snow in, from what I understand, and no one likes to watch a nights work melt away during the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
ABasin has been open for a week, Loveland for a few days.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Benny Profane wrote
Good job, Benny. You told us something that we all know AND has nothing to do with the conversation.

Congratulations, you just won the "worst post of the year" award
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
This post was updated on .
ouch. actually, mattchuck, i think your post wins hands down. what's going on here? snow fever? or worse?
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
As one that has been following the forecast the last few Octobers, I would think that liftserved skiing by next weekend is a strong possibility if the ski areas wants to go for it.

I haven't looked at the specifics and latest forecast K, but the last I looked for SR, they would seem to have the temps window to try to go for it.

Forecast is less favorable for Mt St Sauveur.

edit: just looked at NWS quote that Harv got. Kmart pulled it off last October with a less favorable window it would seem.

So it could be K or SR or both by Saturday or Sunday. Maybe a bit earlier. 
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
If Killington opens, is it going to open for its pass/card holders only like last October13-14?
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Good job, Benny. You told us something that we all know AND has nothing to do with the conversation.

Congratulations, you just won the "worst post of the year" award

Jeez, sorry, Mr. Cranky.  Too much sugar on the Cheerios this morning? But, I tell you, if we want to go searching for worst post, I think I could find a few that are a tad more, well, worst. Wanna try?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Chris
From FB this am:

Killington Snowmaking

Looks like water, but hey it's a start.
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
My money is on them opening next weekend, im sure hiking will be involved.  Their snowmaking is amazing 1 sub 28 degree night and they can open trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it will be cold enough to blow...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If Killington does open, I hope to make it up there.  I also had a great idea (at least for me) for how to do the trip.  Drive up Friday and stay in a hotel.  Ski the next morning and quit at about noon.  When driving home, stop by Great Escape which is closing this Sunday.  Go on the rides there for the rest of the afternoon until closing at 6pm.  This can only be done a few weeks of the year as it is rare that Killington and Great Escape are open on the same day.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
I expect 2-3 ski areas to open before the end of the weekend.

If K opens, it would be :

Passholders on Friday.
Public on Saturday.

Don't be surprise for a soft opening on Thusrday PM.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MadPatSki wrote
Somethin always saves yo azz.  :}

Plans?
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Harvey wrote
MadPatSki wrote
Somethin always saves yo azz.  :}

Plans?
There has been at least 1 ski area in the East open at least one day in every October since 2005. Just saying.

Thursday : Winter tire on the car + bring my daughter at her dance class that evening
Friday : probably some driving and seeing friends out of town
Saturday : driving some more and making some turns.

Those are plans, but not set in stone.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
KILLINGTON RESORT ANNOUNCES OPENING WEEKEND FOR THE 2013-14 WINTER SEASON

KILLINGTON, Vt. (October 23, 2013) Killington Resort kicks off  the 2013-14 winter season Friday, October 25, with an exclusive day of early season skiing and riding for  Season Pass and Express Card holders. These lucky guests will enjoy the first turns of the East Coast skiing and riding season from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Friday.

Killington Resort anticipates opening to the general public for skiing and riding on Saturday, October 26, 2013, for the duration of the weekend. Lifts will turn from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and crews will re-evaluate the conditions Sunday afternoon to determine the operating schedule moving forward. Check www.killington.com/conditions for latest updates.

Dedicated resort snowmakers fired up the snow guns on the Rime trail in the North Ridge area on Tuesday, October 22 and will continue to make snow and expand terrain coverage as long as conditions permit. Early season conditions will exist.  Skiing and riding will be on advanced terrain only on Rime trail, providing roughly 600 vertical feet of terrain. No beginner terrain will be available at this time. The K-1 Express Gondola will provide uploading and downloading, and guests will access terrain via the Peak Walkway.

“We’re really excited to get the season off to a great start, and we wanted to thank our Season Pass and Express Card holders by sharing Killington Resort’s early season skiing and riding with them,” stated Mike Solimano, president and general manager for Killington Resort. “We truly appreciate their support, and we are looking forward to building upon last season’s success with our commitment to a high-quality guest experience, including the longest on-snow season possible.”

This weekend, lift tickets are $49 for adults (19-64), $38 for Youths (7-18) and $42 for Seniors (65-79). Season pass holders who have not activated their passes may do so at the Snowshed Sales Center beginning at 9:00 a.m. Friday, October 25.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
i will be there sunday!!!! cant wait
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
i was wrong... have fun if you go.
Reply | Threaded
|

CavemanRC
In reply to this post by Harvey
$50 for 600 feet, to say you skied in October with all the other people who want to say they skied in October?  Feels like a sales ploy to me.  Of course I might just be jealous that I won't be going too...