classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Know anything about Ramp Sports in UT?

Harvey
Administrator
Got an interesting prosposal from Ramp Sports in Park City.  

Anyone used the company or know anything about them?

http://www.rampsports.com/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Know anything about Ramp Sports in UT?

Sick Bird Rider
Harv, do you recall the video guy at Wildcat? He had Ramp Skis (Groundhog with the woodpile graphic) and loved them. Quick search reveals positive reviews, in general.

Other than that, I've got nothing.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
I got some skis, skied them about 13 times, and they are falling apart. Sidewalls, topsheet, lamination, it's all going to shit... I'll show you next time I see you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
I got some skis, skied them about 13 times, and they are falling apart. Sidewalls, topsheet, lamination, it's all going to shit... I'll show you next time I see you.
This is very helpful.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I don't think that MC2 is the only person experiencing durability issues. In among the generally positive reviews and threads were a number of comments about delams and self-destructing topsheets. Seems to be related to earlier skis made offshore (bad) VS newer skis made in Utah (good).

Matt, did you make any attempt to get warranty service from Ramp? There are very mixed reviews on their customer service.

Here is a pretty positive review of the Groundhog, which should get the award for best ski name ever:
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2012-2013-ramp-groundhog/2
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC... post a pic in this thread and I'll send RAMP a link explaining that quality was not up to our product testing division standards.

I'd think they'd want to make it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
MC... post a pic in this thread and I'll send RAMP a link explaining that quality was not up to our product testing division standards.

I'd think they'd want to make it right.

Agree...give them a chance to make it right. If they don't, well, Eff 'm!
Reply | Threaded
|

vpierce17
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Hi, I'm the communications director at RAMP. During our first 2 years we manufactured in Taiwan. We were not pleased with the quality so we moved our production to Park City, UT. We are extremely proud to be made in the USA. We have a very strong warranty, and really want to work with the customer face to face or phone call to phone call. That's why our founder started RAMP, as a 30-plus year veteran in the ski industry he was disheartened how big ski companies treated customers, often times just sending their problems to the shop where they bought the ski. Our direct to consumer business model should only benefit the customer. Now in our second year of U.S. manufacturing, we are using the top quality material, "pressing" the skis with aerospace technology (vacuum molding), and invented a way to manipulate sidecut without having to buy new molds. It's game changing. In just a year and a half, we have received 4 magazine awards for our skis and a number of industry awards including the ISPO BRANDNEW Finalist award. Please let me know if I can help you with anything, and we welcome you to reach out anytime. vanessa@rampsports.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
vpierce17 wrote
Please let me know if I can help you with anything, and we welcome you to reach out anytime. vanessa@rampsports.com
Vanessa ... could you help with this:

mattchuck2 wrote
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Know-anything-about-Ramp-Sports-in-UT-tp4035217p4035242.html

Harvey
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It's fine, Harv, I wasn't expecting much. I got a good deal on them anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I'll put some pics up tonight of what I'm talking about, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
mattchuck2 wrote
It's fine, Harv, I wasn't expecting much. I got a good deal on them anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I'll put some pics up tonight of what I'm talking about, though.
I still think Ramp has got to think about this and come up with a plan.

Several years ago we made the mistake of lending support to a small ski company who did not stand behind their gear.  Their demo fleet delaminated after a couple ski days and they left the dealers high and dry.

Now Ramp is approaching NYSB with a super aggressive affiliate deal.  We are now affiliates with Liftopia and Backcountry.com and I feel like I can stand behind those. Not going to get into it with Ramp unless they guarantee satisfaction to some level.

I get that they have changed their manufacturing. But if they want to retain the Ramp brand they have to repair it. I'm sure Vanessa found this thread with the help of Google or Google Alerts. Others will too.  I say dump the Ramp brand or fix it.

Post those pics.
Reply | Threaded
|

vpierce17
Hi mattchuck2, can you please send the photos to vanessa.p@rampsports.com. We will happily take a look. Also, where did you buy the skis, directly through us? Or another party? Let me know. I personally want to take a look at this for you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Ramp was out at Sugarbush on Sunday while I was there. They didn't have a binding compatible for AT boots so I didn't give them a try. The booth and van looked cool. I guess it stands for the Riders Artists Musicians Project.

Maybe I'll catch them sometime in regular boots, or perhaps they'd consider a binding like a griffon with adjustable AFD or toe height. Not sure why everyone doesn't use a binder like that in this day/age with so many people on different gear.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Ramp offered to sponsor a friend's young son who is amazing in the park at such a young age.    When they talked turkey, the offer involved  a mild discount on a high priced ski.    Generally anyone could get a similar deal.    

Not a positive or negative story and I am sure they get lots of request for sponsorship.    Just saying it sounded more like a sales pitch for skis than a true offer to sponsor.    
Reply | Threaded
|

vpierce17
Hi, just wanted to reply to this real quick. We get innumerable requests for sponsorship. Can't sponsor everyone. We have  tiered sponsorship levels, not atypical in the industry. We look at the athlete and determine ability and whether a good fit for our company. If we offer discounts, it's always more than our direct price, which is still 30% off MSRP. We really enjoy working with the community and welcome anyone to pitch us about a sponsorship. If they have resume, videos, and/or photos, we will always take a look and get back to them regardless if we can sponsor them or not.